Roch: Would you?

JTrea81

All joking aside, I thought the same thing recently that why couldn't we be in on Hernandez??? I'm sure Seattle would take a tougher stance with us now but that is okay. The Red Sox threw a ton of talent (my sources tell me they offered their top 5 minor league prospects for Felix) at Seattle. For Hernandez I would offer up Tillman, Markakis and Britton and see if they bite. Getting Felix here with a generous extension in my mind would certainly elevate this ballclub:)

I have a tough time trading away established players for another player ... King Felix is a fantastic pitcher, but giving away Markakis just means we now have another hole to fill in the OF.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Johnson hasn't shown himself to be in the class of Peavy or Halladay. Now Hernandez and Vasquez are another story. The Red Sox would essentially have offered Arrieta (Buchholz), Britton (Masterson), Pie (Reddick), Johnson type (Baird) and Avery. Lot of potential, but dealing a young player like Hernandez for a package of players leaves a GM vulnerable. If the deal works then great, if not then you have a lot to fix. We are not talking about dealing a veteran.

The main advantage I see with Washington is that they might be looking for a great deal. I just haven't seen enough of Johnson to offer that package for him. Part of me say sign a TOR type guy for $12-$15 Million per and keep your pitching. Once it gets sorted out deal pitching to fill any hitting voids. I am not a big fan of dealing pitching depth for an established starter with a great deal of upside.

How does Johnson compare to Bedard and Lee then? Bedard had previous issues of arm troubles just like Johnson. He was coming off a dominant year.

Arrieta does not equal Buchholtz. Buchholtz has been a top 5 - 10 over prospect for a couple years. Arrieta is anywhere from 25 - 75. Tillman or Matusz would be Bucholtz comps.

Masterson and Bard are in the majors and have done well. Johnson was just moved up to AA and Britton is in A. How do they compare? Could give you Britton equals Hagadone/Knapp.

Again, I am not advocating this deal, but this is the type of deal that needs to get you into the convo.

Archived