Worse case scenario for a failed "blow up"?

Sports Guy

Given how bad the current team is, it seems to me that the burden of proof is on the wildcards and rshacklefords to tell us a plausible strategy by which this team can build around its current core, a strategy that takes into account two realities:

(1) We don't have much major league ready talent on the farm

(2) There aren't many good free agents on the market in most off-seasons, and the best ones want to play for a winner.

I think if we draft well ,develop talent, don't give away picks and keep Markakis, I don't think it really matters what we do with the 2007 roster or Nov 07 free agents. We will compete.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the big question is: what are we getting back for our (possible) trade chips? If MacPhail can create additional value for the team in trading anybody on this roster (except perhaps Markakis) then I say you have to do it.

However, if he finds he cannot create the necessary value, then you hold on to these chips for another day.

I asked this in another thread but it seems to have been overlooked.

Many people are saying that blowing it up doesn't mean we will win long term. I am not disagreeing with that. No guarantees.

However, let's say that is exactly what happens...Let's say we blow things up and it doesn't end up paying off.....What have we lost?

What is the penalty?

link

This team needs to get younger and better. Given how bad this team is in some areas, its not that hard for me to conceive of a way to do both.

For example, the team's OPS in LF is like sub .630. Its not that hard for me to envision the team getting somebody younger _and_ better in left next year without losing too much. It may not be the path of least resistance, but its doable.

link

This team needs to get younger and better. Given how bad this team is in some areas, its not that hard for me to conceive of a way to do both.

For example, the team's OPS in LF is like sub .630. Its not that hard for me to envision the team getting somebody younger _and_ better in left next year without losing too much. It may not be the path of least resistance, but its doable.

Was that link supposed to mean something?

If you are one of the 5-8 worse teams every year, one or two more awful years ain't going to change things.

Ask the Tigers how much that record mattered.

What are you talking about? Where did I saw they'd super blow for just one or two years.

I'm floored. This team has done seemingly everything wrong for a decade, but nobody seems to be willing acknowledge the likelihood that they would screw up a "blow-up" too.

Its not just strategy, but execution as well.

---------------------------

Your Tigers comment is inane.

Given how bad the current team is, it seems to me that the burden of proof is on the wildcards and rshacklefords to tell us a plausible strategy by which this team can build around its current core, a strategy that takes into account two realities:

(1) We don't have much major league ready talent on the farm

(2) There aren't many good free agents on the market in most off-seasons, and the best ones want to play for a winner.

This is the question that really needs an answer.

Trading Bedard, Roberts, and Tejada might have miserable results - very true, but will they be anymore miserable than the results of the past 10 years? We aren't winning with them and won't be able to add anyone of value without trading them.

In my opinion some radical change must occur and it starts by trading away our talent for younger talent that will be Orioles for a much longer period of time for a much cheaper price. By getting rid of Bedard, Roberts and Tejada, it gives us a lot more room finacially to bring in a new set of players to complement any young prospects that actually pan out for us.

What are you talking about? Where did I saw they'd super blow for just one or two years.

I'm floored. This team has done seemingly everything wrong for a decade, but nobody seems to be willing acknowledge the likelihood that they would screw up a "blow-up" too.

Its not just strategy, but execution as well.

---------------------------

Your Tigers comment is inane.

Your link showed the worse records in baseball history...I assume you think this is worse case scenario,...If its not, than the link is meaningless, which was my poitn to begin with.

And if that is your point, that that is worse case scenario, who the hell cares? What is the difference between winning 60 games or 70 games? It means NOTHING!

Now, do you actually have a point???

You have another whole year to try to turn it around before you make that decision.

Oh, good strategy WC!!!

Let's put off the inevitable for ANOTHER YEAR!

Let's risk these guys getting hurt, losing value or something like that...There is a smart way to turn this around.

:rolleyes::mad:

Archived