I hate Chris Turner

Mackus

Pretty harsh on Turner. The word is that he's been playing hurt. He's played poorly, but he was fine in his first two seasons, including QBing the team to, what, a half dozen wins against ranked teams. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but it's tough for me to hate him. Hell, just among recent QBs, I'd think guys like Portis, Statham, and Ricker are more worthy of derision.

On another note, the program does need changes, but I'm not at all sure Franklin is the man to turn things around. I'm afraid we backed ourselves into a corner on that one.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do think that Vandy's recruiting went unappreciated. The man did actually get some hard nosed, tough, honest to God football players. I don't care about recruiting rankings, give me guys who are lunch pale types with a chip on their shoulder. Hopefully they have some upside/talent to go with the attitude.

I'm telling you, there's a legit coach out there who would LOVE a shot at this job. The area is a fertile recruiting ground.

I hope you mean this as a joke. I am from Maryland, played HS ball in MD, played in college and currently coach a Jr high team in Florida. The difference between the talent in Maryland and the talent in Florida is so staggering that it really can not be explained. I think this is a weakness many northeast schools have. If you want to win you better get every player from Maryland or you better go into Florida, Texas and CA and get players or you have no real chance. It is why Central FL and USF have been a been able to put together winning teams with the left overs in the state of Florida. This Maryland is a hotbed line I see on here is absurd, sure there are a few top guys but there are guys in FL that get little interest from the big 3 that are really studs. One of the problems casual observers have is some of the great looking players in Maryland would look much closer to just above average players in a real football state.

I am sure some may want to blast me for my view on this but I see it all the time. THere literally are guys at good football programs in FL that struggle to get on the field that would be standouts in MD.

My least favorite player in the history of Maryland athletics. He freaking sucks. We'd be better off not having an offense and playing only defense and special teams.

I don't hate Chris Turner. He's just a college kid who is trying his best but is stuck at a higher level then where he belongs. What I do hate is that a player the caliber of Chris Turner is, and has been for the past three seasons, the best option at QB. If you want to direct hate at someone, direct it towards the individual(s) that are responsible for that situation.

And I'm sure there are far worse people that have come and gone in the history of Maryland athletics....like the ex-BB player that gave cocaine to Len Bias. Now there's a guy truly worth hating.

I hope you mean this as a joke. I am from Maryland, played HS ball in MD, played in college and currently coach a Jr high team in Florida. The difference between the talent in Maryland and the talent in Florida is so staggering that it really can not be explained. I think this is a weakness many northeast schools have. If you want to win you better get every player from Maryland or you better go into Florida, Texas and CA and get players or you have no real chance. It is why Central FL and USF have been a been able to put together winning teams with the left overs in the state of Florida. This Maryland is a hotbed line I see on here is absurd, sure there are a few top guys but there are guys in FL that get little interest from the big 3 that are really studs. One of the problems casual observers have is some of the great looking players in Maryland would look much closer to just above average players in a real football state.

I am sure some may want to blast me for my view on this but I see it all the time. THere literally are guys at good football programs in FL that struggle to get on the field that would be standouts in MD.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating. While calling MD a fertile recruiting ground is overstating things, to say it is a weakness as you do is vastly understating the talent in the area. In particular, PG County (UM's own backyard) has produced quite a few big time Div 1 players in recent years. There were 2 players from the State that were drafted in the 1st Round of the NFL Draft this year. And as many as three players from the State could be picked in the 1st round next year. The problem is UM lets too many of those guys get away. I understand that not all of them will want to stay home and play at UM. But as the only Div 1A school in the state (you can't really count Navy as competition when it comes to recruiting), there is no way the Terps shouldn't be getting more of these players.

Something that I dont think people consider when talking about recruits from the area both for basketball and football is the area. Everyone thinks we should be getting all the recruits from PG county, but does anyone actually consider what PG county is like to live in. I lived in Laurel and now go to UMD. Why wouldn't these players want to get out of the area? It's not a good area to live in. So if you're a recruit and you grew up here your whole life, you have a chance to go to school pretty much anywhere you want for free, why would you stay in PG County? Especially for football, because we arent a top program. Peole just dont understand that this is why UMD had no chance at players like Durant and Beasley, because who can fault a kid from just wanting to get away. People need to realize that we have zero chance at getting the big recruits and it has nothing to do with the coaches.

Something that I dont think people consider when talking about recruits from the area both for basketball and football is the area. Everyone thinks we should be getting all the recruits from PG county, but does anyone actually consider what PG county is like to live in. I lived in Laurel and now go to UMD. Why wouldn't these players want to get out of the area? It's not a good area to live in. So if you're a recruit and you grew up here your whole life, you have a chance to go to school pretty much anywhere you want for free, why would you stay in PG County? Especially for football, because we arent a top program. Peole just dont understand that this is why UMD had no chance at players like Durant and Beasley, because who can fault a kid from just wanting to get away. People need to realize that we have zero chance at getting the big recruits and it has nothing to do with the coaches.

We lost some solid recruits to U of Buffalo....Buffalo. I could see jetting for South Beach...but Buffalo?

Because some kids want to stay close to home and play in front of their family and friends, while others like the idea of leaving behind their old 'hood for someplace different. A lot of athletes come from places that most people would consider "undesirable." But when you think about it, most of their time will be spent on a college campus, which in most cases is a very different environment from their home, even if it is close by. So in the end a kid's choice is mostly a matter of how much they like the coaches, how they feel the coaches will utilize/develop their talents, and their overall comfort level with the university itself.

I mentioned this in another thread' date=' but I think it bears repeating. While calling MD a fertile recruiting ground is overstating things, to say it is a weakness as you do is vastly understating the talent in the area. In particular, PG County (UM's own backyard) has produced quite a few big time Div 1 players in recent years. There were 2 players from the State that were drafted in the 1st Round of the NFL Draft this year. And as many as three players from the State could be picked in the 1st round next year. The problem is UM lets too many of those guys get away. I understand that not all of them will want to stay home and play at UM. But as the only Div 1A school in the state (you can't really count Navy as competition when it comes to recruiting), there is no way the Terps shouldn't be getting more of these players.[/quote']

OK, so PG county isn't Dade or Broward Country Florida. My point is that there's more than enough talent within a 3 hour drive of campus that if you simply get a few impact guys per year you should do better than a .500 record and struggling versus teams like JMU. That 3 hour radius includes the Tidewater, VA area, NoVA, Washington, Baltimore, Eastern Shore, Western MD, Philly and a section of New Jersey. Virginia Tech and Penn State can't take all the guys.

OK, so its not FL or Texas but that's a pretty good recruiting area that a lot of schools would like to have.

We lost some solid recruits to U of Buffalo....Buffalo. I could see jetting for South Beach...but Buffalo?

Look at your statement logically. If the kid went to Buffalo and was not a HIGH risk recruit he: 1) was not a ACC calibre player. 2) had a girlfriend in Buffalo. The first being much more likely. We are not talking about a kid that picked uvw or PSU over maryland.

BTW as for PG county I bet there are five schools in Florida that have produced more talent than all of PG county over tha past 5 to 10 years. Just start with Lakeland Senior high and your halfway there.

I agree. We lost some of our top local recruits this year to U of Buffalo. Buffalo?!?!

Who exactly are these top local recruits that chose Buffalo over Maryland? If you're talking about this year's freshman class, then I don't see one kid from Maryland on there, nor do I see any that were considering UMd. If it's the 2010 class currently being recruited, then Buffalo has one commitment, a QB from Owings Mills that rates 2 stars on Scout Inc's rankings and did not have UMd among schools he was considering, and may not have even had a scholarship offer from the Terps.

Archived