A question for the replace the manager people

El Gordo

What would this new guy do to significantly improve this team, besides wait for the young SP to grow into their potential, hope that Markakis, Jones and Wieters will have better years, and the GM will provide him with a couple of decent bats at 1B and 3B, and a few decent arms in the bullpen? Since the ASB the team has been playing pretty decent defense and making far fewer funda"mentals", and the baseruning is no longer costing outs.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would this new guy do to significantly improve this team, besides wait for the young SP to grow into their potential, hope that Markakis, Jones and Wieters will have better years, and the GM will provide him with a couple of decent bats at 1B and 3B, and a few decent arms in the bullpen? Since the ASB the team has been playing pretty decent defense and making far fewer funda"mentals", and the baseruning is no longer costing outs.

I think it's the wrong question. By not extedning DT, AM has put the franchise in the position where they don't have to fire DT. The org can evaluate the situation and the question shouldn't be what can a new guy do differently. The question that should be debated is "Who is the best person to manage this franchise in 2010 and beyond". If the conclusion in DT then hire him for 2010 and beyond. If the conclusion is someone else, hire someone else. If the feeling is the decision could be put off, rehire DT for one year and reevaluate next offseason.

Rest his players regularly, be more in tune with his players' strengths and weakness, especially for the lineup.

Hold players accountable for their actions no matter what their status (rookie or veteran) on the club.

Losing is unacceptable, period.

Just a new attitude coming in and a breath of fresh air could make a world of difference IMO. I think the players have been too comfortable with the status quo, so it's time to shake things up a bit.

I think it's the wrong question. By not extedning DT, AM has put the franchise in the position where they don't have to fire DT. The org can evaluate the situation and the question shouldn't be what can a new guy do differently. The question that should be debated is "Who is the best person to manage this franchise in 2010 and beyond". If the conclusion in DT then hire him for 2010 and beyond. If the conclusion is someone else, hire someone else. If the feeling is the decision could be put off, rehire DT for one year and reevaluate next offseason.
It is the right question. What do you expect the new manager to do to significantly improve the team? Besides cosmetic stuff like, rah, rah pressers and rearranging the batting order? I'm niot asking about DT, I am saying significant improvement IMO, will come from the GM and the development of the young talent.

Rest his players regularly, be more in tune with his players' strengths and weakness, especially for the lineup.

Hold players accountable for their actions no matter what their status (rookie or veteran) on the club.

Losing is unacceptable, period.

Just a new attitude coming in and a breath of fresh air could make a world of difference IMO. I think the players have been too comfortable with the status quo, so it's time to shake things up a bit.

And those things will result in how many additional wins next season?

It is the right question. What do you expect the new manager to do to significantly improve the team? Besides cosmetic stuff like, rah, rah pressers and rearranging the batting order? I'm niot asking about DT, I am saying significant improvement IMO, will come from the GM and the development of the young talent.

Do you think anyone really disagrees with this?

Do you think people think if we get rid of DT that we will win 20 more games just because he is gone, even if the young players don't improve?

By this logic, a manager or coach should never be fired.

Do you think anyone really disagrees with this?

Do you think people think if we get rid of DT that we will win 20 more games just because he is gone, even if the young players don't improve?

By this logic, a manager or coach should never be fired.

Of course not. A manager accounts for a small number of wins and when that number of wins will be significant, then it makes sense to change. But in the O's situation what do you want the new manager to do to improve the team since he is not going to account for 20 wins. Do you really think stuff like moxie, grit, and fire are that important, if they exhist at all? A lot of people seem to want a change. If it is not just change fror change's sake, what tangible things do they expect the new guy to do?

Of course not. A manager accounts for a small number of wins and when that number of wins will be significant, then it makes sense to change. But in the O's situation what do you want the new manager to do to improve the team since he is not going to account for 20 wins. Do you really think stuff like moxie, grit, and fire are that important, if they exhist at all? A lot of people seem to want a change. If it is not just change fror change's sake, what tangible things do they expect the new guy to do?

I expect someone who rests his regulars more...I expect someone who knows how to use a bench.

I expect someone that can handle a staff...That doesn't send a young pitcher out for the 7th inning when they are over 100 pitch, watch them give up a homer on the first pitch and then run to the mound to take them out.

I think DT is terrible at these things.

Also, there is something to be said about a different voice.

Improvement is ALWAYS going to come from improvement of the players on the field and what players the GM gives to the manager...That is obvious.

Obviously we won't get this answer until it actually happens, but if MacPhail fires Trembley why do you think he would?

I think he expected this team to be bad but probably not this bad. I also don't think he hopes to replace Trembley and add 4-5 more wins.

I won't use the terms moxie or grit, but I would imagine AM probably wants a different personality or at least one who is able to get his message to his players a little better.

If it was solely about the talent on the field, I don't think his job would be in jeopardy.

I expect someone who rests his regulars more...I expect someone who knows how to use a bench.

I expect someone that can handle a staff...That doesn't send a young pitcher out for the 7th inning when they are over 100 pitch, watch them give up a homer on the first pitch and then run to the mound to take them out.

I think DT is terrible at these things.

Also, there is something to be said about a different voice.

Improvement is ALWAYS going to come from improvement of the players on the field and what players the GM gives to the manager...That is obvious.

These things you complain about are largely insignificant quibbles, that real world GM's would laugh at. Whomever you get as a replacement will have different things, of a magnitude like this, that will irritate you as much. The question for me is; is now the time to make the change? We will be struggling next season to transition from rebuilding to competing, not to contending. The manager will have a team comprised largely of young developing players. What manager will be better suited to deal with those circumstances than DT?

Just admit it. You have no idea what a major league manager does. Therefore, since you can't identify how a ML can help, you've concluded that there's no sense in replacing the likable guy in there now.

Go ahead and admit this.

And you have a better idea? Well then enlighten me. Tell me what this new manager will do, specifically.

These things you complain about are largely insignificant quibbles, that real world GM's would laugh at. Whomever you get as a replacement will have different things, of a magnitude like this, that will irritate you as much. The question for me is; is now the time to make the change? We will be struggling next season to transition from rebuilding to competing, not to contending. The manager will have a team comprised largely of young developing players. What manager will be better suited to deal with those circumstances than DT?

Why is DT suited for it at all?

How are you even determining that he isn't over his head as a ML manager?

The benefit of the doubt that you and others give to DT is hysterical...he has proven NOTHING.

Yes, he is a nice guy...Yes, he is good with the media but at the end of the day, he has shown NOTHING that he is the guy to take us to the next level.

Obviously we won't get this answer until it actually happens, but if MacPhail fires Trembley why do you think he would?

I think he expected this team to be bad but probably not this bad. I also don't think he hopes to replace Trembley and add 4-5 more wins.

I won't use the terms moxie or grit, but I would imagine AM probably wants a different personality or at least one who is able to get his message to his players a little better.

If it was solely about the talent on the field, I don't think his job would be in jeopardy.

I think the main reason AM will fire DT will be for PR. To make a show for the fans that we are improving, when we won't be in a way that will sell tickets.

Archived