John Lackey and Kevin Millwood

Sports Guy

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record:

Rank 	Pitcher 	Year 	Score 	Trend 	Rank 	Pitcher 	Year 	Score 	Trend1 	Erik Hanson 	1996 	65 		11 	Bob Rush 	1956 	51 	2 	Freddy Garcia 	2006 	64 		[b]12 	Kevin Millwood 	2005 	51 [/b]	3 	Frank Sullivan 	1960 	61 		13 	Curt Schilling 	1997 	50 	4 	Andy Benes 	1998 	58 		14 	Turk Farrell 	1964 	49 	5 	Chris Carpenter 2006 	57 		15 	A.J. Burnett 	2007 	49 	6 	Gaylord Perry 	1969 	57 		16 	Mark Gubicza 	1993 	49 	7 	Don Newcombe 	1957 	56 		17 	Jon Lieber 	2000 	47 	8 	Dave Goltz 	1980 	54 		18 	Jim Beattie 	1985 	47 	9 	Mike Moore 	1990 	53 		19 	Gene Conley 	1961 	43 	10 	Aaron Sele 	2001 	52 		20 	Shane Reynolds 	1998 	43

Some interesting names all around.

Funny, I don't really think of Millwood as much of a strikeout pitcher.

ETA: By the way, Lackey's top 5 comps combined for 868.3 IP after their age-31 seasons. And 579.3 of those innings are from Andy Benes and Chris Carpenter(including 2009).

Great insight and comparison, Sports Guy. It came as somewhat as a shock to me because when you just hear those two names, Millwood and Lackey, I just think so much more highly of Lackey. Maybe because he's been on a winning team for a while, but still, I wouldn't expect their numbers to be so close. IMO, the O's desperately need a top of the rotation guy like Lackey that can match up with a Sabathia, Shields, Halladay, or Beckett when we face off against our division foes...he's a guy I'd slightly overpay for.

Well, Millwood used to be a very good pitcher. Back, a few years ago before he came to Texas, Id definitely say hes comparable to the present day Lackey. Not really a true #1 SP, but a very good #2 type of a pitcher IMO.

And I think Lackey is a very good pitcher, I just am not quite as high on him as others are. Regardless, hed be an aweomse weapon to have on our team. Starting next year, Matusz is gonna show glimpses of a TOR starter and IMO will pitch pretty well consistently. If Bergy can pitch close to how he pitches this year and Tillman comes back stronger, we are gonna be a good looking team. IMO if we were in the NL, wed be a playoff contender.....

But thats what it is, in the AL East, you cant just have a good team, you gotta have a great team.....

So you're saying they won't do it what it takes to go from last place to fourth place? Ok, good to know.

There has to be some value on being a .500 team or better next year vs another 70-ish and 92-ish season doesn't there? That's not to say we're destined for that, but starting 2010 with the current group increases the odd's considerably. Won't take too many things to not goes as well as we hope or to just go badly for 2010 to emulate 2009. Now, is $17m in one guy worth that difference, probably not, but to me, it's close.

There has to be some value on being a .500 team or better next year vs another 70-ish and 92-ish season doesn't there? That's not to say we're destined for that, but starting 2010 with the current group increases the odd's considerably. Won't take too many things to not goes as well as we hope or to just go badly for 2010 to emulate 2009. Now, is $17m in one guy worth that difference, probably not, but to me, it's close.

Lackey, assuming he stays healthy and has a typical year for him is an upgrade of 3-6 wins over who he would likely replace assuming whoever would be the 5th starter(s) wouldn't have a good year. That's quite good, but I don't think it's that important for next year.

I prefer higher risk/reward guys with less long-term commitment like Harden and Johnson for next year anyway.

I also think the team will win more than 70 games next year without much done this off-season.

Lackey, assuming he stays healthy and has a typical year for him is an upgrade of 3-6 wins over who he would likely replace assuming whoever would be the 5th starter(s) wouldn't have a good year. That's quite good, but I don't think it's that important for next year.

I prefer higher risk/reward guys with less long-term commitment like Harden and Johnson for next year anyway.

I also think the team will win more than 70 games next year without much done this off-season.

I like Harden and would like to see him here...But the Orioles need to add an innings eater...We really need someone to go with the young guys to help lead the staff and keep the pen fresh.

I like Harden and would like to see him here...But the Orioles need to add an innings eater...We really need someone to go with the young guys to help lead the staff and keep the pen fresh.

Guthrie has pitched about 45 more innings than Lackey these past two seasons. I wouldn't use the word need either, especially not for next year.

The Orioles are going to get better on the merit of the young players that are up here learning right now.

They'll spend some money to complement those players when the time is right.

Learn to deal with it. It's the right way to build a sustainable winner.

They can't win with just what they have.

Archived