Do you want anyone from the Marlins?

My O's Face

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/columnists/barry-jackson/story/1258707.html

Word around the Marlins is significant offseason changes are likely coming, with some familiar faces to be jettisoned.

With Florida expected to keep payroll around $37 million barring a surprising change in approach, the Marlins plan to dump Jeremy Hermida; believe they probably cannot afford Dan Uggla (though owner Jeffrey Loria likes him a lot, as one player said); and likely will not re-sign Nick Johnson unless he settles for a deal well below market value.

There's also talk from Marlins people that the team might not be able to afford Jorge Cantu, but that's in question. Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Uggla, Cantu, Cody Ross and Hermida headline the list of arbitration-eligible Marlins players.

I'd like AMac to look at Uggla, Cantu, and Josh Johnson. They would be great pick-ups for the right price.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been a LOT of chatter surrounding Josh Johnson on this board, and I must say I have no clue why. Perhaps the most valuable commodity in baseball right now is young, controlled, front-end pitching. All this talk is proposing BAL clear-out four or so legit prospects to land a young, front-end pitcher.

The point of trading for Tillman, going over slot for Arrieta and using a fourth overall pick on Matusz is to develop that type of player, BECAUSE it's so expensive to try and get him otherwise.

BAL's m.o. has to be to rely on the young pitching already in the fold -- NOT trying to bring in young pitching from outside at the expense of more young pitching already in your system. If you have limited resources, you can't afford to go outside the organization for the most sought after items in the game.

Trading for Johnson is a bad idea, barring a brain fart by FLA which leads to them accepting a drastically under-market deal. Trading for Josh Johnson is an impatient move. Both Matusz and Tillman have to be that young front-ender -- give them the space to grow into the role. Otherwise, what's the point of even developing these arms? There certainly isn't any competitive advantage to trading away quality quantity for a bit more security in ceiling. Not at this point in the teams development.

There has been a LOT of chatter surrounding Josh Johnson on this board, and I must say I have no clue why. Perhaps the most valuable commodity in baseball right now is young, controlled, front-end pitching. All this talk is proposing BAL clear-out four or so legit prospects to land a young, front-end pitcher.

The point of trading for Tillman, going over slot for Arrieta and using a fourth overall pick on Matusz is to develop that type of player, BECAUSE it's so expensive to try and get him otherwise.

BAL's m.o. has to be to rely on the young pitching already in the fold -- NOT trying to bring in young pitching from outside at the expense of more young pitching already in your system. If you have limited resources, you can't afford to go outside the organization for the most sought after items in the game.

Trading for Johnson is a bad idea, barring a brain fart by FLA which leads to them accepting a drastically under-market deal. Trading for Josh Johnson is an impatient move. Both Matusz and Tillman have to be that young front-ender -- give them the space to grow into the role. Otherwise, what's the point of even developing these arms? There certainly isn't any competitive advantage to trading away quality quantity for a bit more security in ceiling. Not at this point in the teams development.

A news item like this one will always provoke some wishful fantasies that since a team is tight on cash, they'll somehow be forced into a fire sale that concludes with valuable pieces coming over to the Orioles for pennies on the dollar.

Then there are those for whom young pitching has no value until it has become so valuable that it's worth two or three top major prospects.

Beckett and Lowell for Hanley and pitching worked out pretty good for the Red Sox.

Beckett and Lowell for Hanley and pitching worked out pretty good for the Red Sox.

Of course Boston had more on field talent at the time of the trade and the perceived worth of young pitching has risen exponentially. Other than that, good analogy.

Someone's signature is a quote from Billy Beane about how 'you can be on the verge of something special or rebuilding, but to be inbetween is crazy' or something to that effect-- I've always felt that the Marlins are that team that is always inbetween. They never seem to be building towards anything.

That's a terrible example. FLA had to dump Lowell's contract, and BOS still had to (in addition to eating the contract) give up one of the best prospects in the game to get Beckett.

Would you pay around $18MM and Wieters for Josh Johnson?

Someone's signature is a quote from Billy Beane about how 'you can be on the verge of something special or rebuilding, but to be inbetween is crazy' or something to that effect-- I've always felt that the Marlins are that team that is always inbetween. They never seem to be building towards anything.

Yeah unless you count those two times they've won the World Series.

Archived