Cabrera

Greg Pappas

I think the time has come for Daniel Cabrera to "Take a step back." I believe that if at all possible, Daniel should begin the season next year at AAA and make him earn his way back to the big leagues.

Tonight, he embarrassed himself, throwing at Dustin Pedroia, after he balked in a run because he once again did not follow instruction and pitch from the stretch.

Jim Palmer remarked repeatedly that Daniel needs to hone his skills and reign in his emotions if he is to ever harness his obvious talents.

I think Daniel needs a wake up call... send him down, make him listen to instruction, have him learn to be a big leaguer the right way.

Agree... disagree?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah. I've been pretty tolerant of his continued mediocrity, but that display might have crossed the line. Don't really wanna see him again any time soon.

I think Trembley has been tolerant as well, but I agree with you... I hope they send him a strong message and shut him down for the remainder of the season.

Daniel needs some sort of punishment, & I don't mean $$. The O's need to do something to show the Red Sox, MLB & the fans that they won't put up with the BS. A demotion is the way to go. Trading him away won't do a thing. I would demote him lower than AAA. Make him learn the basics all over again. Plus he's very hotheaded, so that needs to be addressed. I don't think he realizes what he did wrong.

I disagree Gregarm.

I've been saying this since I joined the board, but when I see Daniel, I see a tall Joaquin Andujar. The Astros and their fans were right about where we are now with Cabrera towards Andujar in 1981.

They practically gave him away to St. Louis, and he had two 20-win seasons and a game 7 World Series win within a matter of years.

Cabrera's emotions may hold him back on nights like tonight, but they also make him a good competitor who's had numerous solid outings this year that could have unraveled early after shaky beginnings.

I'm starting to think it might not happen for him here, but I absolutely still believe he's gonna win a lot of ballgames before he hangs up his spikes.

As I said in the game thread, I think we need to cut bait, trade him while some people still think he has potential, and before he implodes completely. But we probably won't. /sigh

I am not a fan of dealing a high talent while his stock is low. I'd prefer we keep him and hope he turns it around in '08. If we get a deal we can't refuse (Balentien from Seattle) then sure, pukk the trigger, but I don't imagine that's forthcoming.

So it was ok when Buchholz hit Markakis and knocked down Tejada but it's not ok if Cabrera hits Pedroia? DCab didn't get ejected until the Red Sox started jawing at him to provoke him.

You keep referencing this, but the situations are completely different.

I disagree Gregarm.

I've been saying this since I joined the board, but when I see Daniel, I see a tall Joaquin Andujar. The Astros and there fans were right about where we are now with Cabrera towards Andujar in 1981.

They practically gave him away to St. Louis, and he had two 20-win seasons and a game 7 World Series win within a matter of years.

Cabrera's emotions may hold him back on nights like tonight, but they also make him a good competitor who's had numerous solid outings this year that could have unraveled early after shaky beginnings.

I'm starting to think it might not happen for him here, but I absolutely still believe he's gonna win a lot of ballgames before he hangs up his spikes.

??Gregarm?? Why did you call me that?

I never said to trade him, I said that he should be sent down to gather his talents and emotions before being given another chance here.

Can somebody give an unbiased account of what happened? I missed it entirely.

Crisp on 3rd, Pedroia at the plate, 2 outs. Cabrera goes to the windup, sees Crisp dancing and completely stops mid-windup, balking him home. Cabrera throws his next pitch at Pedroia (though he missed). I didn't see the whole thing but somehow it escalated into a bench clearer, with an ump trying to hold Cabrera back as Cabrera did the "Come on!" gesture with his hand to some Red Sox players. He was way out of line, and that was what caused the ejection.

Archived