Trembley on "Average 3Bman" RBIs

Arthur_Bryant

It's too bad his OBP was around .300. He certainly had a lot of power.

What a strange batting stance too....Anyways, hopefully Bell can provide us with what Mora could not. I wonder who would have been worht more over a full season at 3B, Wiggy or Mora. Wiggy would probably provide more offensive value, but his defensive value is pretty horrid...

To me, Mora being gone after this year is addition by subtraction. Im confident that Bell will provide more value for us even in his rookie year.....

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol. I still bet he regrets that contract.

Point taken though.

I dunno. He's missed a lot of time, but Fangraphs still has him being worth a good bit more than his salary the past two years. Other than his first season, he has both hit well and played defense well when he's been healthy, and he really hasn't been any more unhealthy than the rest of his career. It seems like it would be a frustrating situation at times, but not necessarily a regretful one.

Oh, how that list changes if we go by OPS+:

1. Sandoval - 144 [5]

2. Rodriguez - 143 [4]

3. Zimmerman - 131 [2]

4. Longoria - 128 [1]

5. Reynolds - 125 [3]

6. Blake - 118 [10]

7. Kouzmanoff - 98 [6]

8. Inge - 86 [7]

9. Feliz - 80 [9]

10. Peralta - 79 [8]

Give me OPS/OPS+ over RBI any day of the week.

Oh, how that list changes if we go by OPS+:

1. Sandoval - 144 [5]

2. Rodriguez - 143 [4]

3. Zimmerman - 131 [2]

4. Longoria - 128 [1]

5. Reynolds - 125 [3]

6. Blake - 118 [10]

7. Kouzmanoff - 98 [6]

8. Inge - 86 [7]

9. Feliz - 80 [9]

10. Peralta - 79 [8]

Give me OPS/OPS+ over RBI any day of the week.

The list changes even more if we go by wOBA.

1. A-Rod

2. Sandoval

3. A. Ramirez

4. Young

5. Reynolds

6. Longoria

7. Zimmerman

8. Wright

9. McGehee

10. Figgins

Give me wOBA over OPS+ any day of the week.

Funny...this comment makes you come off the same way to me. :rolleyes:

How so?

The thought of judging players first and foremost by RBI's is like judging a pitcher first and foremost by wins. I bet DT would do the latter too...
I think this thread is another example of armchair baseball geniuses patting themselves on the back because they know a little baseball stats 101. If you think that DT isn't aware of the difference between RBI's and OPS, etc. then you are an even bigger idiot than he is He is being interviewed for the general press audience. They don't know from these terms; it would be pointless for him to be spouting off stuff like wOBA. I doubt even Roch would know what he was talking about. His simple point is that we need much more production from 1B and 3B. It is easier for the average fan to understand that, in terms of conventional stats like RBI's, no matter how crude that may seem to "knowledgeable" OH posers......uh posters.:laughlol:

I think this thread is another example of armchair baseball geniuses patting themselves on the back because they know a little baseball stats 101. If you think that DT isn't aware of the difference between RBI's and OPS, etc. then you are an even bigger idiot than he is He is being interviewed for the general press audience. They don't know from these terms; it would be pointless for him to be spouting off stuff like wOBA. I doubt even Roch would know what he was talking about. His simple point is that we need much more production from 1B and 3B. It is easier for the average fan to understand that, in terms of conventional stats like RBI's, no matter how crude that may seem to "knowledgeable" OH posers......uh posters.:laughlol:

I'm not very knowledgable in the world of crunching baseball data (certainly compared to some of the stat-folk on here), but I believe in the value of the concept. I'm just a guy who prides himself on having a decent amount of logic. I'm hopeful Trembley does too. I'd even have prefered he said home runs to rbi's, but as you said, it's just a quote.

Getting condescended to by you will go down as the ironic moment of my day. I've noticed a pattern from you. Whatever floats your boat, that's why God and Al Gore invented the internet....

I agree. Just because a large part of your job is daily interactions with the media, why should it be important for someone to be precise with their language? I always just ignore everything a manager says and assume he really knows the exact right answer but is sparing my feelings since I obviously couldn't understand the concept and it would fly right past me.

I much prefer the idea of someone dumbing down their answers to the point that they are incorrect, and scarely so. That way, the casual fan and the man running the team can be on the same incorrect page together.

I'm not very knowledgable in the world of crunching baseball data (certainly compared to some of the stat-folk on here), but I believe in the value of the concept. I'm just a guy who prides himself on having a decent amount of logic. I'm hopeful Trembley does too. I'd even have prefered he said home runs to rbi's, but as you said, it's just a quote.

Getting condescended to by you will go down as the ironic moment of my day. I've noticed a pattern from you. Whatever floats your boat, that's why God and Al Gore invented the internet....

"I bet DT would do the latter too..."

You clearly insinuate that you are more knowledgeable statwise than a baseball manager of 20 years experience(even though you add the modest codicil that you know relatively little about them). Perhaps pointing that out is condescenig to you, but don't you think you might be exhibiting just a tad of hubrous?

"I bet DT would do the latter too..."

You clearly insinuate that you are more knowledgeable statwise than a baseball manager of 20 years experience(even though you add the modest codicil that you know relatively little about them). Perhaps pointing that out is condescenig to you, but don't you think you might be exhibiting just a tad of hubrous?

DT statement isn't dumb down. It is just wrong. RBI's is a meaningless stat.

DT statement isn't dumb down. It is just wrong. RBI's is a meaningless stat.

Yes I'm sure that his one sentence statement implied a fervent belief that RBIs are the only significant offensive statistic in baseball. I'm sure he has no other idea how to evaluate a player. All based on this one sentence, I am sure.

Archived