Trembley on "Average 3Bman" RBIs

Arthur_Bryant

I'm not very knowledgable in the world of crunching baseball data (certainly compared to some of the stat-folk on here), but I believe in the value of the concept. I'm just a guy who prides himself on having a decent amount of logic. I'm hopeful Trembley does too. I'd even have prefered he said home runs to rbi's, but as you said, it's just a quote.

Getting condescended to by you will go down as the ironic moment of my day. I've noticed a pattern from you. Whatever floats your boat, that's why God and Al Gore invented the internet....

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Not to get into politics, but...

Al Gore never said he invented the internet. That said, he did play an instrumental role in funding the military project that did invent it. PM if you wanna chat about it. Hope I didn't say anything too controversial.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. Just because a large part of your job is daily interactions with the media, why should it be important for someone to be precise with their language? I always just ignore everything a manager says and assume he really knows the exact right answer but is sparing my feelings since I obviously couldn't understand the concept and it would fly right past me.

I much prefer the idea of someone dumbing down their answers to the point that they are incorrect, and scarely so. That way, the casual fan and the man running the team can be on the same incorrect page together.

This is extremely naive for someone as knowledgeable as you are. When DT speaks to the press he is following guidelines that markeyting has laid out for him. If he had his druthers he wouldn't speak to them at all. The team isn't marketed to fans like the ones at the OH, it is geared to fans with more traditional ideas about Baseball, Apple Pie and Chevrolets. I haven't met DT, have you? I wonder if Scottie or Tony or any of the others who have, find him as ignorant of current stats as many here seem to think he is. I could be wrong but to my mind, I think that they have numbers that we don't ever see, that are even more sophisticated than the ones we do. I just don't think they bother to use them in the contexts of media opportunities. He isn't being patronizing, IMO, as you seem to think.

"Thank god DT isn't building the team. He really comes off as an idiot to me."

You think DT is an idiot, which presupposes that you're not.

Pronunciation: \ə-ˈjen-də\

Function: noun

Etymology: Latin, neuter plural of agendum, gerundive of agere

Date: 1871

1 : a list or outline of things to be considered or done <agendas of faculty meetings>

2 : an underlying often ideological plan or program <a political agenda>

So genius how is what I said an agenda?

This is extremely naive for someone as knowledgeable as you are. When DT speaks to the press he is following guidelines that markeyting has laid out for him. If he had his druthers he wouldn't speak to them at all. The team isn't marketed to fans like the ones at the OH, it is geared to fans with more traditional ideas about Baseball, Apple Pie and Chevrolets. I haven't met DT, have you? I wonder if Scottie or Tony or any of the others who have, find him as ignorant of current stats as many here seem to think he is. I could be wrong but to my mind, I think that they have numbers that we don't ever see, that are even more sophisticated than the ones we do. I just don't think they bother to use them in the contexts of media opportunities. He isn't being patronizing, IMO, as you seem to think.

This doesn't make any sense. The options aren't 1) speak over peoples head, and 2) make blatantly false statements because that's what fans believe.

How about just making general statements that the fans can understand?

"We need more production out of 1B/3B -- we aren't getting the power and consistent hitting we need from such important offensive positions. If you look around the league, that's where a lot of the top bats are, right? We need guys on par with the Longorias, the Youklises, the Teixeiras."

So am I naive for expecting this, or do you think Trembley isn't intelligent enough to make a statement like the above? Or do you think my statement is still too difficult for the "common fan" to figure out?

Seriously, I don't think he's a stupid man, but the statement about needing more RBI guys was clearly either an inability to accurately express what he was truly thinking, or a pretty bad misconception about how to look at stats.

Despite what you are trying to argue, no one is asking that he re-write the book on complex statistical analysis. It's a low bar -- don't make statements that are embarassingly incorrect and have been known to be incorrect for a fair amount of time now. If you misspeak and make such a statement, take your lumps and move on.

RBI's is a meaningless stat.

No it's not. It is a very meaningful stat. You just need to keep what it means in the proper perspective. Saying it's meaningless is just as dumb as saying you should take it out of context and go by that alone.

No it's not. It is a very meaningful stat. You just need to keep what it means in the proper perspective. Saying it's meaningless is just as dumb as saying you should take it out of context and go by that alone.

It has an actually meaning. It just should not be brought up when discussing a players value.

This doesn't make any sense. The options aren't 1) speak over peoples head, and 2) make blatantly false statements because that's what fans believe.

How about just making general statements that the fans can understand?

"We need more production out of 1B/3B -- we aren't getting the power and consistent hitting we need from such important offensive positions. If you look around the league, that's where a lot of the top bats are, right? We need guys on par with the Longorias, the Youklises, the Teixeiras."

So am I naive for expecting this, or do you think Trembley isn't intelligent enough to make a statement like the above? Or do you think my statement is still too difficult for the "common fan" to figure out?

Seriously, I don't think he's a stupid man, but the statement about needing more RBI guys was clearly either an inability to accurately express what he was truly thinking, or a pretty bad misconception about how to look at stats.

Despite what you are trying to argue, no one is asking that he re-write the book on complex statistical analysis. It's a low bar -- don't make statements that are embarassingly incorrect and have been known to be incorrect for a fair amount of time now. If you misspeak and make such a statement, take your lumps and move on.

You are really bending over back wards to make something out of next to nothing. If I were a marketing guy and were asked to chose between DT's statement and yours, I would choose DT's because it is simple and clear to the average fan. DT said he needed 90 -100 RBI's from 3B and 1B. Generally speaking people who put up those kind of numbers have good OPS, OBP, etc. because they are good hitters. If they weren't, they wouldn't be put in situations that would give them the oportunity to get that many RBI's. FRobby pointed out that the average production from 3B was 81 RBI's, so he was off by 9 RBI's, big deal. DT only responds to questions from the press. When was the last time you heard Roch or anyone else referring to the distinction between OBP, OPS, BA, and RBI's or ERA vs WHIP, K/9 BB/9 and K/BB. These distinctions seem to matter a great deal to some folks here because it affords them the opportunity to hold themselves superior in some way, but they matter little to the media.

This is far too sophisticated a concept for some venues.

It has an actually meaning. It just should not be brought up when discussing a players value.
So when we are talking about Markakis' value as a player, we should not bring up the fact that he has 100 RBI's 2 of the last 3 seasons? I bet his agent would.:rofl:

I think it's fine that DT wants a guy at 3B who can knock in 90-100 runs. I think that would be a big help. I hope AM gets him one.

I'm not sure what the problem is, except that evidently some folks feel better if they think they know more about stats than DT does, so they make a federal case about a dang soundbite comment.

You are really bending over back wards to make something out of next to nothing. If I were a marketing guy and were asked to chose between DT's statement and yours, I would choose DT's because it is simple and clear to the average fan. DT said he needed 90 -100 RBI's from 3B and 1B. Generally speaking people who put up those kind of numbers have good OPS, OBP, etc. because they are good hitters. If they weren't, they wouldn't be put in situations that would give them the oportunity to get that many RBI's. FRobby pointed out that the average production from 3B was 81 RBI's, so he was off by 9 RBI's, big deal. DT only responds to questions from the press. When was the last time you heard Roch or anyone else referring to the distinction between OBP, OPS, BA, and RBI's or ERA vs WHIP, K/9 BB/9 and K/BB. These distinctions seem to matter a great deal to some folks here because it affords them the opportunity to hold themselves superior in some way, but they matter little to the media.

The bolded has nothing to do with anything I've said. And yes, I see now how throwing out an arbitrary number of RBI is preferable to just saying "We need our own version of Longoria." That statement would just leave fans scratching their heads...:rolleyes:

Bingo.

A lot of sound & fury about a throwaway line, I think. Of course, perhaps he's simply saying that in order to contend we need an entire line-up that allows our 3B the opportunity to drive in 100 runs. ;)

Archived