Trembley on "Average 3Bman" RBIs

Arthur_Bryant

You are really bending over back wards to make something out of next to nothing. If I were a marketing guy and were asked to chose between DT's statement and yours, I would choose DT's because it is simple and clear to the average fan. DT said he needed 90 -100 RBI's from 3B and 1B. Generally speaking people who put up those kind of numbers have good OPS, OBP, etc. because they are good hitters. If they weren't, they wouldn't be put in situations that would give them the oportunity to get that many RBI's. FRobby pointed out that the average production from 3B was 81 RBI's, so he was off by 9 RBI's, big deal. DT only responds to questions from the press. When was the last time you heard Roch or anyone else referring to the distinction between OBP, OPS, BA, and RBI's or ERA vs WHIP, K/9 BB/9 and K/BB. These distinctions seem to matter a great deal to some folks here because it affords them the opportunity to hold themselves superior in some way, but they matter little to the media.

This is priceless.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this thread is another example of armchair baseball geniuses patting themselves on the back because they know a little baseball stats 101. If you think that DT isn't aware of the difference between RBI's and OPS, etc. then you are an even bigger idiot than he is He is being interviewed for the general press audience. They don't know from these terms; it would be pointless for him to be spouting off stuff like wOBA. I doubt even Roch would know what he was talking about. His simple point is that we need much more production from 1B and 3B. It is easier for the average fan to understand that, in terms of conventional stats like RBI's, no matter how crude that may seem to "knowledgeable" OH posers......uh posters.:laughlol:

I have no idea why I called you a condescending poster. My bad.

I saw a manager that consistently made odd decisions regarding the lineup, the bullpen, non-use of platoons and playing to hitters split strengths when deciding when to give someone a day in the lineup (or a day off), strange pinch hitting choices (and non use of it early in the season), and on and on. I wish I had the amount of free time that you are fortunate to seem to have today, I'd love to put more color on my point. It's a hectic day for me, so I am off...

You are really bending over back wards to make something out of next to nothing. If I were a marketing guy and were asked to chose between DT's statement and yours, I would choose DT's because it is simple and clear to the average fan. D.

It is also freakin' incorrect. If he logged in here anonymously and made that statement, he would have half a dozen people setting him straight in the first 10 minutes. Maybe even you, if you didn't like the argument that he was using that statement to suppport.

Forget the question of whether RBI is a meaningful stat : it just isn't even close to true that 90-100 RBI is average for a 3Bman in recent years. Hell, half the teams in MLB don't get more than 82 RBI this season out of that position,much less out of a single player.

Let him use RBI as a meaningful stat if he wants. Is it too much to ask that he actually knows what a reasonable RBI total is for a third baseman in the majors? I mean, I assume that he is putting together a wish list for AM over the winter, if he hasn't already done so. If he is putting "third baseman with 90-100 RBI" on the list, should he not know how few third baseman can actually be expected to do that -- and how hard they will be to pry loose?

"Simple and clear to the average fan" isn't worth much if it's also misinformed.

I sure would not bring up his RBI totals.

Agent: Need I remind you, Nick drove in 101 last year.

GM: Yes, indeed. Roberts, Jones and Reimold really clogged up those pesky bases didn't they?

I wonder where I can find the "number of men left on base" category. I'd bet Nick and the other 100 rbi guys would be way up on that too...

The list changes even more if we go by wOBA.

1. A-Rod

2. Sandoval

3. A. Ramirez

4. Young

5. Reynolds

6. Longoria

7. Zimmerman

8. Wright

9. McGehee

10. Figgins

Give me wOBA over OPS+ any day of the week.

How so?

FWIW, I was just using the original 10. Didn't go into anyone outside of that list.

DT statement isn't dumb down. It is just wrong. RBI's is a meaningless stat.

Absolutely the least intelligent thing I've ever seen you (or pretty much anyone) post on here. Often I agree with you--here, you come off as a person with less than capable mental facilities.

It is also freakin' incorrect. If he logged in here anonymously and made that statement, he would have half a dozen people setting him straight in the first 10 minutes. Maybe even you, if you didn't like the argument that he was using that statement to suppport.

Forget the question of whether RBI is a meaningful stat : it just isn't even close to true that 90-100 RBI is average for a 3Bman in recent years. Hell, half the teams in MLB don't get more than 82 RBI this season out of that position,much less out of a single player.

Let him use RBI as a meaningful stat if he wants. Is it too much to ask that he actually knows what a reasonable RBI total is for a third baseman in the majors? I mean, I assume that he is putting together a wish list for AM over the winter, if he hasn't already done so. If he is putting "third baseman with 90-100 RBI" on the list, should he not know how few third baseman can actually be expected to do that -- and how hard they will be to pry loose?

"Simple and clear to the average fan" isn't worth much if it's also misinformed.

It can't be all that difficult as Tony Batista did it several times and the last I heard he was playing in Japan!:laughlol:

Absolutely the least intelligent thing I've ever seen you (or pretty much anyone) post on here. Often I agree with you--here, you come off as a person with less than capable mental facilities.

Yeah, it is so meaningless that it is part of the Triple Crown that since the 1960's has been like the Holy Grail, impossible to capture.:laughlol::rofl:

Guest rochester
Agent: Need I remind you, Nick drove in 101 last year.

GM: Yes, indeed. Roberts, Jones and Reimold really clogged up those pesky bases didn't they?

I wonder where I can find the "number of men left on base" category. I'd bet Nick and the other 100 rbi guys would be way up on that too...

This is an interesting thought - for our stat experts, is this available? I know we have the BA with RISC but... this is probably already out there and I am using my (what I call) "reason for reading OH so often so I can obtain knowledge" tools.

Yeah, it is so meaningless that it is part of the Triple Crown that since the 1960's has been like the Holy Grail, impossible to capture.:laughlol::rofl:

That's because there's an imperfect correlation between the stats that measure the Triple Crown. The difficulty of getting a Triple Crown is, in some ways, evidence of the fact that RBIs don't measure the quality of the hitter.

That's because there's an imperfect correlation between the stats that measure the Triple Crown. The difficulty of getting a Triple Crown is, in some ways, evidence of the fact that RBIs don't measure the quality of the hitter.

Perceptive. Good post.

I'd like it if some day it's replaced with OPS with RISP. :scratchchinhmm:

Oh, so ole Hack Wilson knocking in 190 runs didn't mean he was a good hitter that season?:rofl: It doesn't take an Einstein to realize you would want him in anyone's lineup when he driving in runs like that!.:eektf:

Archived