Rowell to AA?

waroriole

I wonder if "change of scenery" translates to "get him the heck away from Richie Hebner"...

yeah, I think that is the underlying meaning of that statement. Komminsk seems to work with the young guys and I hope that Rowell turns it around.

I agree with this move. It basically tells him "get your act together and prove you can hack it in AA". I doubt he will ever put it together, and I bet he'll be out of the system after 2010, but it is the right message to send him right now.

This is basically the concept. Despite the outward appearance of support from the Orioles, there are few people left who think he's a prospect any longer.

However, with the amount of money they've given him, it's time to send him to Double-A and see if he can hack it. Look for a conversion to first base as well. The Orioles know he's not an outfielder.

Rowell is the kind of guy I could see going as a throw in in a trade. He's classic trade-fodder: you wouldn't want him as a centerpiece, and you would'nt want him at all based on his numbers. But his draft status and "potential tools" give him a bit of value in a larger package.

I predict he's gone before spring training.

This is basically the concept. Despite the outward appearance of support from the Orioles, there are few people left who think he's a prospect any longer.

However, with the amount of money they've given him, it's time to send him to Double-A and see if he can hack it. Look for a conversion to first base as well. The Orioles know he's not an outfielder.

I understand what the message is here, and he may well be traded. Would he be a bad influence on the kids in Delmarva, or is it that he just has no supporters left who feel that a demotion to Delmarva would help him, or the organization, at all?

Personally, I wonder why he wasn't sent back last year. Take some of the pressure off and let him regain some of his confidence and maybe even increase his value for some prospective trade.

I can't remember the last positive report we got on him, other than the "He's still so young for the CL..." stuff.

I don't see the sense in including Rowell in any trade unless the O's just want to get rid of him for the sake of it. His value is so minimal that he's not going to tilt the balance of a trade for another team to pull the trigger. The O's should just hope for a miracle and let him walk as a 6 year minor league FA if there is no miracle. That's if they just don't plain release him before that.

I think we generally agree- either way we're not expecting much. I just think his value is maximized by dumping him if another team wants a "project" as part of a larger deal. No one is giving up anything for him, and no deal will hinge on his inclusion. But he may save us from trading another guy- and that is a win for the Os.

Rowell is the kind of guy I could see going as a throw in in a trade. He's classic trade-fodder: you wouldn't want him as a centerpiece, and you would'nt want him at all based on his numbers. But his draft status and "potential tools" give him a bit of value in a larger package.

I predict he's gone before spring training.

This is how I interpret change of scenery and I think this would be a good move. Perhaps we could trade him for another underachieving prospect or a guy out of options, etc.

Some really nice points made in this thread

I would guess that AA does make the most sense though. Should he have a solid first half his trade value may help another team bite. However if he falters and fails it is on him. Sometimes I think teams do take a step forward by subtraction and I think it sends an important message to other players.

I do not dislike or have anything bad to say about Billy Rowell or his attitude. However at the present time he does appear stuck and things haven't panned out.

Likely he is out of the system this time next year. The club should know by now what it has or something is wrong with the club. By sending him to Bowie Rowell will be challenged to improve. Sadly only the strong survive.

Archived