I'm telling you...Matsui.

ejf1025

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you say so. Not really sure why we'd target him, but I admire your enthusiasm.

Am I particularly enthusiastic?

I also laid out my reasons why we would target him. You can choose to disagree and explain...or be "cool" Moose...all jive no substance.

Thorne and Palmer mentioned during a broadcast late in the season against the Yankees that one of the teams Matsui has said he'd be interested in joining is the Orioles because of his relationship with Koji.

I'd be for the signing. He can rake and it wouldn't require us giving him multiple years to get him signed.

I would not sign him for first base. I see him as a DH only.

He's pretty good against lefties...

QFT

Career Matsui vs. RHP: .291/.375/.490/

Career Matsui vs. LHP: .294/.359/.465/

2009 Matsui vs. RHP: .271/.370/.465

2009 Matsui vs. LHP: .282/.358/.618

Basically it's not a huge difference and he's still an above average batter no matter what kind of pitching he faces. His batting average is actually better against LHP and what's funny is that in '09, he displayed a weird ability to slug for more bases against LHP.

TL;DR - Matsui is consistently good against both RHP and LHP.

Am I particularly enthusiastic?

I also laid out my reasons why we would target him. You can choose to disagree and explain...or be "cool" Moose...all jive no substance.

Well excuuuuuuuuse, me.

You seem enthusiastic due to the fact that you've started the thread and have proclaimed "I'm telling you..." then get uppity when I say that "I don't really see it"

Yes, he projects to be a Type B, but I don't think it's MacPhail's MO to give up a pick, supplemental or not. Yes, he's probably a DH type but we should be flexible there with an outfield of Pie/Jones/Markakis, leaving Reimold for DHing duties...or an outfield of Reimold/Jones/Markakis, allowing Wieters to DH on days he isn't catching...or if we've held onto Luke Scott, keeping him at DH which will probably be more cost effective.

He doesn't really fit into our outfield at all when we've got younger, cheaper, healthier and more athletic players at our disposal. I think that MacPhail will spend money this offseason in more pressing needs, namely the bullpen and a rotation spot. We're stacked in the outfield and should be fine at DH and I haven't even talked about having Snyder and/or Bell fitting in the DH role at times, too.

I wasn't trying to be "cool" or trying to "jive"...I was just being "lazy" and didn't feel like typing it all out.

Yes, money talks, you're right...I just don't think it's a wise way to allocate money at this time. Perhaps if we had a glaring need for a DH and needed some 20 homer pop to help get us into the playoffs I could understand but as this team is currently constructed Matsui doesn't fit into any plans.

EDIT: Not saying I wouldn't like to see him here. I'd be pretty psyched if we somehow landed him. I like Matsui and would like to see him in an O's uniform and providing a bit of protection to the young players.

I don't see this happening. If I'm Matsui, why would I want to go to Baltimore?

I really don't think he'd be a bad signing, but no more than a 1 year deal with an option. I just don't think he'd come here.

And Moose...we wouldn't lose a supplemental pick for him. The Yankees would get a supplemental pick if he signs elsewhere...at least that's the way I understand it.

And Moose...we wouldn't lose a supplemental pick for him. The Yankees would get a supplemental pick if he signs elsewhere...at least that's the way I understand it.

Yeah, actually I think you're right. The whole "type a, type b, arb, etc" stuff is boring to me. I shouldn't pretend to understand it.

Well excuuuuuuuuse, me.

You seem enthusiastic due to the fact that you've started the thread and have proclaimed "I'm telling you..." then get uppity when I say that "I don't really see it"

Yes, he projects to be a Type B, but I don't think it's MacPhail's MO to give up a pick, supplemental or not. Yes, he's probably a DH type but we should be flexible there with an outfield of Pie/Jones/Markakis, leaving Reimold for DHing duties...or an outfield of Reimold/Jones/Markakis, allowing Wieters to DH on days he isn't catching...or if we've held onto Luke Scott, keeping him at DH which will probably be more cost effective.

He doesn't really fit into our outfield at all when we've got younger, cheaper, healthier and more athletic players at our disposal. I think that MacPhail will spend money this offseason in more pressing needs, namely the bullpen and a rotation spot. We're stacked in the outfield and should be fine at DH and I haven't even talked about having Snyder and/or Bell fitting in the DH role at times, too.

I wasn't trying to be "cool" or trying to "jive"...I was just being "lazy" and didn't feel like typing it all out.

Yes, money talks, you're right...I just don't think it's a wise way to allocate money at this time. Perhaps if we had a glaring need for a DH and needed some 20 homer pop to help get us into the playoffs I could understand but as this team is currently constructed Matsui doesn't fit into any plans.

Per McPhail's own words they will be interested in buying bats...not guaranteed but interested. You will be hard pressed to sign any bat worthwhile if you are unwilling to give up compensatory picks. Will it be common practice, no. But it is far too premature to simply say McPhail doesn't seem like the type.

Furthermore, I doubt there is any interest in him in the OF for anything more than spot duties. As I wrote, he clearly will be DH/1B...not really sure why you harp on a point that everyone including Matsui himself would prob concede.

Matsui replaces Scott's production, allows you to trade Scott for a young SS, etc. considering Scott (along with Guthrie) is really our ONLY trade chip of any value

As I've said before, I would prefer not to sign anyone...but I don't think that will happen. McPhail clearly is intent on improving the offense--and the plan is not to have Snyder/Bell take the reins this early.

McPhail has clearly said he plans on winning games this year...how many is debatable...but that's what he has publicly said. Perhaps YOU don't think he fits and the Snyder/Bell/Scott are viable options but I suspect AM disagrees with you.

Matsui fills the need for another power bat at 1B or DH, he would not be getting a big contract--so your point about allocating money is pretty moot...he also hits LH well.

To say a relatively cheap, 850+ OPS w. 25 HR pop, 1B/DH/sub-OF wouldn't be useful to this team is simply wrong.

Would he be part of the long term future? No...but he would help us win games and allow us to nurse the younger hitters. A good manager should be able to find plenty of ABs for Reimold, Pie and Matsui on this team in 2010...and ABs for that group plus Snyder and Bell in 2011 as well.

And finally...your original "thoughts" had something to do with Filet Mignon and Big Macs...while I guess clever...there was nothing in there about any of the stuff you just said. In fact, I think you were basically saying it was Matsui who wouldnt want to sign with us...not the other way around. But why not play both sides of the coin right?

I don't see this happening. If I'm Matsui, why would I want to go to Baltimore?

I really don't think he'd be a bad signing, but no more than a 1 year deal with an option. I just don't think he'd come here.

Money...stays playing in a relatively strong market...a lot of Sox/Yanks games broadcast back home.

There will be other players I'm sure...but I don't think this is that much of a stretch. Especially if the O's put a 2-3 year deal with some options in there at about 6-7 mil per.

Archived