Red Sox looking at Hanley Ramirez, shouldn't the O's?

NJBird

Kind of tired here of us constantly going after the older vet player or young project player. Was reading the NY Post today where they speculated Hanley Ramirez would be actively pursued by the Red Sox. My issue is why shouldn't the O's be going after an all-star SS only at 26 years old for next baseball season? Would seem to me to make too much sense.

http://origin-nyp.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/red_sox_need_mending_xPL7Ky2WEDEuZ3BmggCBUO

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty nuts. Trading H-Ram for Beckett and then trading back for H-Ram. Using the Marlins as a farm system of sorts.

Well, if you are the Orioles, you would be happy that the Red Sox trade 4 or 5 very good young players...However, since they trade pitching away, they probably add Lackey and get HRam...Their ML club is much better and they still have a deep and talented farm system and will just spend in the draft and Internationally next year to replenish what they lost.

Pretty nuts. Trading H-Ram for Beckett and then trading back for H-Ram. Using the Marlins as a farm system of sorts.

It's smart if they can do it. Gets around the limit on # of farm teams, etc.

The MFY's used to do the same thing with the KC A's...

Well, if you are the Orioles, you would be happy that the Red Sox trade 4 or 5 very good young players...However, since they trade pitching away, they probably add Lackey and get HRam...Their ML club is much better and they still have a deep and talented farm system and will just spend in the draft and Internationally next year to replenish what they lost.

Mmmmm, I dunno man. That doesn't make me too happy, trading 4-5 guys off the top doesn't really mean much with an unlimited payroll and good scouting, drafting and developing sources.

Mmmmm, I dunno man. That doesn't make me too happy, trading 4-5 guys off the top doesn't really mean much with an unlimited payroll and good scouting, drafting and developing sources.

Which is why they should do it...They were apparently offering a monster package for Halladay...No reason they wouldn't offer at least that for HRam.

You gotta admit, it's pretty disheartening to have back to back offseasons of Sabathia/Tex/Burnett to NY and then Lackey/HRam to the Sox.

And it's why we need to actually do something this offseason to try to counter those moves. The Red Sox and Yankees will only continue to get better.

You got to love it when fans from those teams are talking Lackey/Gonzalez/Fielder/Holliday and we are talking about Troy Glaus and Nick Johnson...

I think people are being a little unrealistic here. The Sox still have Lowell and Ortiz on the books next year for about 25 million, and Varitek is almost guaranteed to exercise his 3 million dollar option. Hanley is about to start getting expensive, and Lackey, obviously, will be very expensive. In order to acquire Hanley, the Sox would have to give up a large chunk of their cheap young pitching, which would 1) hurt their depth and 2) cause some problems in the next couple of years when Beckett leaves or becomes even more expensive. Wakefield is already, in all likelihood, done. This is not to say that the Red Sox are on the downswing; the team is still all kinds of stacked. But they aren't just going to be able to go out and get both Lackey and Hanley Ramirez without some major repercussions down the line. Or if Theo manages to dump a bunch of contracts first. I just don't see it. One or the other, sure, but I'd be absolutely shocked if they landed both Ramirez and Lackey.

I think people are being a little unrealistic here. The Sox still have Lowell and Ortiz on the books next year for about 25 million, and Varitek is almost guaranteed to exercise his 3 million dollar option. Hanley is about to start getting expensive, and Lackey, obviously, will be very expensive. In order to acquire Hanley, the Sox would have to give up a large chunk of their cheap young pitching, which would 1) hurt their depth and 2) cause some problems in the next couple of years when Beckett leaves or becomes even more expensive. Wakefield is already, in all likelihood, done. This is not to say that the Red Sox are on the downswing; the team is still all kinds of stacked. But they aren't just going to be able to go out and get both Lackey and Hanley Ramirez without some major repercussions down the line. Or if Theo manages to dump a bunch of contracts first. I just don't see it. One or the other, sure, but I'd be absolutely shocked if they landed both Ramirez and Lackey.

Well, I think Lackey is a foregone conclusion for either the Yanks or the Red Sox. If the Red Sox don't get lackey, then I doubt they sacrifice their farm for Han Ram. Getting Lackey is the only way that their young pitchers start to become more expendable.

Well, I think Lackey is a foregone conclusion for either the Yanks or the Red Sox. If the Red Sox don't get lackey, then I doubt they sacrifice their farm for Han Ram. Getting a lackey is the only way that their young pitchers start to become more expendable.

I'm not sure if Lackey and Han Ram are linked. I can see them giving the farm to get Han Ram, no problem with or without getting Lackey.

Ortiz's production dropped and while he might be able to eek out a similiar performance next year, everyone knows he's on the decline. Boston could use a .950 OPS performer who hasn't hit his peak yet and someone who can steal 20-30 bags.

They'll hold onto whatever young pitching they have.

Archived