Red Sox looking at Hanley Ramirez, shouldn't the O's?

NJBird

This seems like an awfully simplistic analysis.

I think Holliday’s successes as a hitter have largely come at a benefit to playing in Coors, and behind one of the best hitters in baseball history. Hitting behind Albert Pujols in the NL central and having to carry an average Orioles offense against the AL east are two totally different things.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Signing Lackey and trading Tillman makes perfect sense IMO. You replace an unproven pitcher with a proven one in order to compete sooner, and you use that unproven pitcher to help get you what you can't get on the FA market until after 2011 - a premium bat at 1B.

You use your $ to get what's available on the FA market - good pitching, so that you can use young pitching as currency for what's not available - the 1B bats.

To me that's fully utilizing your resources.

I know MacPhail won't do it, but it's what he should be doing IMO.

We can't look at any of our players as irreplaceable. Wieters, Jones, Markakis, Tillman, Matusz. We should always be looking to have replacements for these guys in our system. We shouldn't be afraid to deal anybody if it improves our chances of winning and especially winning LT.

To borrow a quote from somebody...

Just drop it. The point is it's being fixed.

Practice what you preach.

Are the opportunities realistically available in the scope of MacPhail's MO? He's stated he's not interested in buying pitching, he's not interested in trading prospects... the only thing's I've seen is that MacPhail wants a bullpen overhaul and a big bat-- and not Jason Bay/Matt Holliday big bat either... we're talking Russell Branyan big bat.

I never thought I'd see "Russell Branyan" and "big bat" in the same sentence. :laughlol:

Archived