Red Sox looking at Hanley Ramirez, shouldn't the O's?

NJBird

We do of course, however we did just draft Givens and the position wasn't the liability in 2009 as it was in 2008.

My point was the organization needs to seek it's own path to success not Boston's.

Ok, the OP was asking why we aren't in on this SS if he is available. Sounded like you thought the post was misguided by what other team(s) do. Thanks for the clarification.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd go a step further and say it's not a big deal regardless of slotting, so long as you are signing a player that is worth losing the pick. A middle-reliever would not qualify, for me. A front-end starter or middle-of-the-order bat would qualify, for me.

Of course. There are limitations to my statement. Solving a long term need is one thing. Signing Raul Ibanez is another, IMO.

I think as long as a team can overslot . . . losing a 2nd or 3rd round pick is not a big deal.
I'd go a step further and say it's not a big deal regardless of slotting, so long as you are signing a player that is worth losing the pick. A middle-reliever would not qualify, for me. A front-end starter or middle-of-the-order bat would qualify, for me.

No argument on either point. I just want to make sure we identify the costs accurately.

Thanks. Who did we pick and passed on Papelbon?
We didn't pass on Papelbon, he was a 4th round pick. You can't make reasonable arguments about it being a mistake to not have drafted a guy that ended up going later in the draft.

You can really only pass on first-round talent. Every team passed on Papelbon, including the Red Sox, several times. Trying to turn not drafting him into a mistake by the Orioles is a failure of logic, IMO.

EDIT: The O's did choose Bob McCrory with pick #104, ahead of Papelbon at #114.

Now that was a horrible move...

Good lord our scouting was horrendous.

It would be nice if we could have some immediate success, so we can stop having constant reminders of how much this organization has failed.

You can't argue that the Red Sox got lucky with drafting Papelbon and we missed him by getting McCrory. In an alternate universe, there's no telling how the Orioles farm system handles and develops a player like Papelbon, and the Red Sox farm system could turn McCrory into an all-star. The Red Sox have a world class farm system.

We didn't pass on Papelbon, he was a 4th round pick. You can't make reasonable arguments about it being a mistake to not have drafted a guy that ended up going later in the draft.

You can really only pass on first-round talent. Every team passed on Papelbon, including the Red Sox, several times. Trying to turn not drafting him into a mistake by the Orioles is a failure of logic, IMO.

Good point here. It was a mistake by everyone. This certainly was not Michael Olowakandi moment here...

Now that was a horrible move...

Good lord our scouting was horrendous.

It would be nice if we could have some immediate success, so we can stop having constant reminders of how much this organization has failed.

Why is Snoopy wearing shades when there is no sunshine in the universe? :)

Agreed. I didn't realize he was a 4th rounder.

So once again a team 20-30 wins ahead of us in the win column will add more than we do in the off season.

Both BOS and the MFY's are at a place where incremental improvement is very expensive. Even if AM does nothing, which he won't, the O's will show a lot more net improvement this coming year than either BOS or the MFY's will. It's dumb to compare what the O's do to what those teams do until the level of our overall team goodness gets in the same general neighborhood as theirs. Until then, it's apples and oranges, and the kind of comparison you're making is silly. No matter what kind of phenomena you're talking about, the first 90% of improvement is way, way cheaper than the last 10%. The O's are still working on the first 90% of improvement. For AM to spend now as if he's going after the last 10% of improvement would be incredibly stupid. It'd be like a car racer spending a fortune to put his race car in a wind tunnel to improve its aerodynamics when the race car is powered by a little Kia motor: doing that is not the best way for him to go faster. Same basic thing here.

So once again a team 20-30 wins ahead of us in the win column will add more than we do in the off season.
As they should.

Trading a bunch of our top talent for a current star player would only make sense if we were already a very solid team. The Red Sox can easily mortgage part of their future because the immediate return is worth it. We can't afford to trade off those pieces and still be relevant in the future, and adding Ramirez now doesn't make us a winner so there is no short-term benefit.

Trading for top talent is an even worse strategy than signing expensive talent for a team in our position. Signing FAs you get the present benefit and may get the future benefit or may get future financial hardship, but you don't lose any of your own talent. Trading for stars have the same pluses and minuses of the FA talent, but you also lose some of your own talent. That can be offset if the player is particularly young or locked into a team-friendly contract. Ramirez has 5/$64M left, which is very reasonable, and he is young, but I still don't think it'd be a wise move to give up Matusz, Reimold, Britton, and Snyder or some similar package for him.

As they should.

Trading a bunch of our top talent for a current star player would only make sense if we were already a very solid team. The Red Sox can easily mortgage part of their future because the immediate return is worth it. We can't afford to trade off those pieces and still be relevant in the future, and adding Ramirez now doesn't make us a winner so there is no short-term benefit.

Trading for top talent is an even worse strategy than signing expensive talent for a team in our position. Signing FAs you get the present benefit and may get the future benefit or may get future financial hardship, but you don't lose any of your own talent. Trading for stars have the same pluses and minuses of the FA talent, but you also lose some of your own talent. That can be offset if the player is particularly young or locked into a team-friendly contract. Ramirez has 5/$64M left, which is very reasonable, and he is young, but I still don't think it'd be a wise move to give up Matusz, Reimold, Britton, and Snyder or some similar package for him.

How are we supposed to get talent then because the bats that are available are in the OF, not at SS or 1B.

We will have to wait until after 2011 to get those bats on the FA market.

Not to mention next offseason, those same bats will only have 1 year left on their contracts and thus will likely want to test FA because they are so close. If you trade for them now, they are two years out from FA and are more likely to sign an extension IMO because they've also played with the team for a year.

Are you willing to basically write off two more seasons to get those bats via FA?

Archived