O's Interested In John McDonald

wildcard

Yeah, he would be a great improvement over Andino. BTW, his name is David Newhan.

Sigh.

McDonald, 35, hit .258/.271/.384 with four home runs and 13 RBI in 152 plate appearances this season for the Blue Jays.

Okay, Andino is 25 years old and hit .222/.274/.288 with 2 HR and 10 RBI with 215 plate appearance this season for the Orioles.

I am wondering how a 36 year old hitter is going to somehow be better than a kid that does appear to have some upside? Andino had more chances to do better but he is young and can improve. Why bring in YET ANOTHER aging sub-par vet like we have done for the last few years?

MSK

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.258/.271/.384

Seriously? That's the kind of player we want?

We've already got somebody named Cesar Izturis that can put up those #'s and more.

Trade for Hardy and move Izturis to a utility role if you want a light hitting utility guy.

Okay, Andino is 25 years old and hit .222/.274/.288 with 2 HR and 10 RBI with 215 plate appearance this season for the Orioles.

I am wondering how a 36 year old hitter is going to somehow be better than a kid that does appear to have some upside? Andino had more chances to do better but he is young and can improve. Why bring in YET ANOTHER aging sub-par vet like we have done for the last few years?

MSK

Because Trembley and MacPhail are obsessed with defense and love light hitting utility guys.

I'd rather see them promote Blake Davis than to waste any money on McDonald.

But in Andy we trust, right? If he wants McDonald, who are we to question him? :rolleyes:

Honestly, I hate when people imply that about Izturis...It makes me livid...shortstop is by far the most important infielder as far as fielding is concerned...and we have a former gold glover with pretty good range handling it for us. To cut him down left and right because he doesn't hit like Jeter is absurd. Jeter is an anomaly, Cal was an anomaly, Hanley is an anomaly...beyond that, there aren't too many power hitting shortstops left. Yes, Izturis is on the lower end of that power, but his fielding is on the upper end so that's all that matters.

In terms of McDonald, he is a better third base fielding option on off days than Wigginton. That's all. It's not like they would start him.

I agree 100% on your assessment on Izturis. I think many sell him short, not realizing the type of defense he provides.

It was always my impression that John McDonald is an insane, Everettesque fielder.

McDonald had a UZR/150 of 0.9 this year and was worth only $200K yet received a salary of $1.9 million.

He hasn't put up a UZR/150 of 10 or above at SS since 2007. And his fielding has declined for 3 straight years.

In 2008 he was so bad with hitting, he was worth a negative $2 million.

Big time pass...

McDonald had a UZR/150 of 0.9 this year and was worth only $200K yet received a salary of $1.9 million.

He hasn't put up a UZR/150 of 10 or above at SS since 2007.

In 2008 he was so bad with hitting, he was worth a negative $2 million.

Big time pass...

:eek:

Too bad they couldn't sign him for negative 2MM. ;)

Seems to me that Bob Elliot historically writes a good number of things that never come to fruition. I don't know. I'd doubt this. Just does not make much sense.

It makes perfect sense for a team that overvalues defense. But McDonald is only a good fielder by reputation now.

It makes perfect sense for a team that overvalues defense. But McDonald is only a good fielder by reputation now.

No, it does not make much sense because he is not an upgrade over what we currently have. The Orioles also do not seem like a team that overvalues defense. We extended Roberts 4 years.

Because Trembley and MacPhail are obsessed with defense and love light hitting utility guys.

I'd rather see them promote Blake Davis than to waste any money on McDonald.

But in Andy we trust, right? If he wants McDonald, who are we to question him? :rolleyes:

IMO, I understand the Davis idea, however, I think if we have Davis on the club, why have Andino?

If we were to get McDonald (or something similar as a light hitting/solid defense type) we are going to trade Wiggy. It may not be for much but perhaps we get some relief help.

If McDonald can hold down the fort at third, you give Bell the time he needs to excell before his promotion. At this time you can aslo evalute if Davis has continued his defensive ways and figure out what you want to do with Andino.

Let's say that, even IF Hardy was obtained, I would not want to waste Izturis' glove on the bench. Having the ability to sift through McDonald/Andino/Davis would be a plus on the bench.

Archived