Unplug the fridge

Todd-O

I'm going to start this one: the state pays the fridge a lot if $ to recruit and put a good product on the field. For a number if years the program has been heading downward.... No need to lay out the details on that.... But Fridge has been able to pull off a few key wins to keep his job securrity.

This year is different. It's a culmination of bad recruiting upon bad recruiting. What do you get? Let's start with 2 former walk-ons as o-line starters.

Ralph's best years came with kids that Coach V had recruited.

Ralph has, over the years, frquently indicated to the press that he "isn't getting through" to his kids or "needs to do a better job at getting through to them.". Perhaps the real problem is just that: There's a gap between him and the current gen.

At any rate, the school needs to set the bar, here, and let him go. This kind of play is totally unacceptable.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Fridge has a hard time getting through to his players, maybe it's because his weird quasi-lame duck status, having his designated successor serving as an assistant coach, means that players aren't sure who's really in charge.

It's obvious, though, that this program has been in decline for a few seasons, and that it's time for a change. But Franklin is part of the problem too--he's been given progressively more and more authority over time, and the team has just gotten worse.

It would be better to fire both and start fresh. But that would mean that Debbie Yow would have to admit that she made a mistake in designating Franklin as the heir apparent, and it would also cause some Bob Wade-style backlash. So that's not going to happen. This season will probably accelerate Friedgen's retirement...and then we're going to see a few more years of mediocrity or worse under Franklin.

I hate to say it but its going to get worse before it gets better. They won't fire the Fridge b/c they owe him too much money on his contract. The only way they'll fire him is if the decrease in ticket sales/suite sales is more than the amount they owe the Fridge.

If something happens, I'm afraid they'll give Franklin the job and I don't see the situation getting any better. Next year the Terps will be starting a QB who has barely got on the field and they don't exactly have a great track record of picking/developing QBs.

It's going to be three years minimum before the Terps can start thinking of getting to a lower level bowl IMO.

Debbie Yow does not have the desire or ability to envision Maryland having a top Football and Basketball program. She's willing to take mediocrity upon mediocrity and allow the head coaches to dictate their terms. For year Williams never even traveled outside a few states to see possible recruits and came under his recruiting budget because he rested on his national championship and just thought kids would fawn all over him. What did Yow do? Nothing! The basketball program was being beat by the Miamis and Florida States but Williams gets his pass.

As for football, Friedgen just can't recruit top kids and his ability to judge talent can be summed up in having Turner at QB for three years. This kid is a backup QB at best but yet he's been Friedgen's man. We're starting two walkons on the O-line and honestly, we just don't have that much talent. What will Yow do? Nothing.

Why, because the bottom line is she's making money with both programs right now and that's what her concerns are. Meanwhile Maryland's Football and basketball teams are in the bottom rung of the ACC teams.

I used to be a huge MD fan and have brought my boys up as Terps fans, but honestly, if she doesn't care, why should I? MD Fans, especially alumni, keep making excuses for their selected deities. They point out that Friedgen has taken the team to multiple bowls and of course Williams won a national championship. All of which are true. But what it comes down to is that these programs are in shambles and these men are in charge. They took their teams to great heights, and I think their legacies will remain, but they will also have to accept the fact that they did not maintain that success. They had opportunities and for various reasons they were unable to maintain their initial success.

Until I see a major change, I'll follow the Terps, but I won't rearrange my day to watch their games, I won't buy tickets, and if my kids start to follow other programs so be it. Who wants to support a University that doesn't care enough to make the changes needed to improve?

Tony- you are right about the status quo. Debbie doesn't want to shake the boat following a 6-8 win season with a bowl appearance. To her, that's fine and acceptable. The team made it to a bowl... Made the cash. Of course an 8 win season for a young team might very well be okay... But not when it's consistently happening... Or coming before/after 5 or 6 win seasons.

I just can't believe the don't have the guts to push it to the next level.

Tony- you are right about the status quo. Debbie doesn't want to shake the boat following a 6-8 win season with a bowl appearance. To her, that's fine and acceptable. The team made it to a bowl... Made the cash. Of course an 8 win season for a young team might very well be okay... But not when it's consistently happening... Or coming before/after 5 or 6 win seasons.

Oh, they'll make a move if the stadium is half empty and the luxury suites don't rent. They've invested a lot and they need to realize a return on it.

The luxury suites are what is really concerning. With the Redskins/Ravens/Wiz/Caps/O's/Nats all in the area, why would a corporation shell out big bucks for a suite when they can get tix to the other teams? They won't do it if the product on the field sucks.

Also, we make a commitment to James Franklin way too early in my opinion.

Debbie Yow does not have the desire or ability to envision Maryland having a top Football and Basketball program. She's willing to take mediocrity upon mediocrity and allow the head coaches to dictate their terms. For year Williams never even traveled outside a few states to see possible recruits and came under his recruiting budget because he rested on his national championship and just thought kids would fawn all over him. What did Yow do? Nothing! The basketball program was being beat by the Miamis and Florida States but Williams gets his pass.

As for football, Friedgen just can't recruit top kids and his ability to judge talent can be summed up in having Turner at QB for three years. This kid is a backup QB at best but yet he's been Friedgen's man. We're starting two walkons on the O-line and honestly, we just don't have that much talent. What will Yow do? Nothing.

Why, because the bottom line is she's making money with both programs right now and that's what her concerns are. Meanwhile Maryland's Football and basketball teams are in the bottom rung of the ACC teams.

I used to be a huge MD fan and have brought my boys up as Terps fans, but honestly, if she doesn't care, why should I? MD Fans, especially alumni, keep making excuses for their selected deities. They point out that Friedgen has taken the team to multiple bowls and of course Williams won a national championship. All of which are true. But what it comes down to is that these programs are in shambles and these men are in charge. They took their teams to great heights, and I think their legacies will remain, but they will also have to accept the fact that they did not maintain that success. They had opportunities and for various reasons they were unable to maintain their initial success.

Until I see a major change, I'll follow the Terps, but I won't rearrange my day to watch their games, I won't buy tickets, and if my kids start to follow other programs so be it. Who wants to support a University that doesn't care enough to make the changes needed to improve?

Everything you said about the football situation is exactly correct, but your argument about basketball is old. Did Gary have some years where he let his recruiting efforts slip? Definitely. But, to call MD bottom rung ACC basketball team just isn't correct. First of all our 2010 class is ranked 7th in the nation, only behind UNC in the ACC. To be honest, you can't ever expect MD to out recruit UNC and Duke in the same year. Plus, Gary took what was only a decent team to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney. This year, MD is going to be ranked preseason top 20. If you're not happy with what has been going on recently, you never will be.

Everything you said about the football situation is exactly correct, but your argument about basketball is old. Did Gary have some years where he let his recruiting efforts slip? Definitely. But, to call MD bottom rung ACC basketball team just isn't correct. First of all our 2010 class is ranked 7th in the nation, only behind UNC in the ACC. To be honest, you can't ever expect MD to out recruit UNC and Duke in the same year. Plus, Gary took what was only a decent team to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney. This year, MD is going to be ranked preseason top 20. If you're not happy with what has been going on recently, you never will be.

In what publication was MDs 2010 basketball class ranked 7th? I'm not doubting you, I just don't follow BB recruiting anymore.

Great post.

I'd be fine with firing Fridge, but I don't think they can afford to given the monetary situations. I'd like to believe that Fridge can turn the recruiting around, but I don't. I don't think the football team will be good for quite some time. I don't think we'll be this bad every year, but we're not gonna be flirting with 10 wins anytime soon. 6-7 wins is the best this team can get to under Fridge, IMO.

And Gary Williams is the man.

In what publication was MDs 2010 basketball class ranked 7th? I'm not doubting you, I just don't follow BB recruiting anymore.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/classrankings

Of course, every publication is different. But, no matter where you look, MD is no worse than 3rd in the ACC. If we sign one more big recruit in 2010, I see no reason why we don't have the best class in the ACC. I'm totally fine where we are now, but it has the opportunity to get even better. Plus, we're doing well on some 2011 recruits. We're throwing out a pretty wide net, so were in on a lot of guys and have plenty of scholarships available.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/classrankings

Of course, every publication is different. But, no matter where you look, MD is no worse than 3rd in the ACC. If we sign one more big recruit in 2010, I see no reason why we don't have the best class in the ACC. I'm totally fine where we are now, but it has the opportunity to get even better. Plus, we're doing well on some 2011 recruits. We're throwing out a pretty wide net, so were in on a lot of guys and have plenty of scholarships available.

To what is this recruiting success attributable? We're all familiar the stories of Gary not liking to recruit and letting his assistants do the gruntwork. Is Keith Booth a master salesman?

To what is this recruiting success attributable? We're all familiar the stories of Gary not liking to recruit and letting his assistants do the gruntwork. Is Keith Booth a master salesman?

Well, Booth, Chucky and Ehsan have all been good recruiters of late. Plus, we know for a fact that Gary has been much more hands on. He's been personally talking to prospects, much more visible at tournaments and the like, and even doing home visits... stuff he was ingorning a few years ago. He's finally realizing that, because his reputation is so good, all it takes is a little recruiting effort on his part to lock down some top talent. Things have really turned around quickly. This season should be a fun year, but I'm really waiting until the 2010 class gets a few seasons behind them. My hope is that, if Gary can match the quality of his 2010 class in 2011, the 2013-2014 season could be a legitimate national championship possibility.

Archived