Will you miss the "insider info" this offseason?

ChaosLex

Will you miss the "insider info" this offseason?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Will you miss the "insider info" this offseason?

Why does Tony feel insiders shouldn't post on the board anymore. It is called a "discussion" board for a reason. People are allowed to discuss/argue their cases.

Insider info is one of the only reasons it is even worth signing onto Orioles Hangout. Most of the site is filled with ideas rooted in irrational beliefs, outlandish trade proposals, and what nicknames should be given to players. In this sea of things that don't matter one bit, the diamond in the rough was the insider information. Please post it this offseason, its what makes it bearable.

Don't get me wrong, some posts are valuable, but who cares what the best team we can put together of the last 12 seasons? Bring back one of the only true values to the board, the insider information.

People that want to argue with it and tell the insiders they are wrong, who cares what they have to say. They obviously spend too much time thinking about it and need a better hobby. Like they say "take it with a grain of salt"

The insider info was also contradicting and inaccurate. That severely jeopardizes the credibility of the Orioles Hangout.

And if you think the OH is filled with a lot of what you say it is, you clearly don't follow the board that often.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look 7 posts up. :cussing: :D

:o

Sorry, too lazy and tired to read through the whole thread.

In my humble opinion, I think the insiders should be allowed to post anything given that Tony and company review their sources. I'm wondering if the O's brass has personally requested Tony and co. take this stance.:scratchchinhmm:... to avoid more of the Bedard debacle, etc...

Why does Tony feel insiders shouldn't post on the board anymore. It is called a "discussion" board for a reason. People are allowed to discuss/argue their cases.

Insider info is one of the only reasons it is even worth signing onto Orioles Hangout. Most of the site is filled with ideas rooted in irrational beliefs, outlandish trade proposals, and what nicknames should be given to players. In this sea of things that don't matter one bit, the diamond in the rough was the insider information. Please post it this offseason, its what makes it bearable.

Don't get me wrong, some posts are valuable, but who cares what the best team we can put together of the last 12 seasons? Bring back one of the only true values to the board, the insider information.

People that want to argue with it and tell the insiders they are wrong, who cares what they have to say. They obviously spend too much time thinking about it and need a better hobby. Like they say "take it with a grain of salt"

As Tony said in an earlier thread, the insiders' sources either dried up, or became so far removed from "the inside" that they were merely passing on 3rd hand rumors. This most likely due to AM's policy of keeping things close to the vest.

I feel like your heart's in the right place, but your head is, uh...your head is...it's sort of up...uh...

...I'm flirting with a detention here, I think. ;)

I feel like your heart's in the right place, but your head is, uh...your head is...it's sort of up...uh...

...I'm flirting with a detention here, I think. ;)

Well, to be fair, he has a good point. The information that is posted, and the discussions that come out of those pieces, are part of what has made the board interesting over the years. Honestly, I like watching the entire process of a deal, from first rumor (or, in many, many cases, first discussion around here, as many of the members of the board have the smarts and savvy to create realistic potential deals that, in a few cases, have gone through in one form or another) through the discussions to the "Welcome [blank]"/"[blank] Appreciation Thread" posts.

Of course, the information has created far too many problems over the years to blame Tony and the mods for wanting to curtail even the appearance of official or unofficial sanction. Really, I have no problem with this sort of regulation.

It will raise the overall level of debate, which can be difficult enough in some threads as it is but is especially wanting in the coldest days of winter. I also don't think it prevents members, even those as previously-known insiders, from presenting information that they hear (although if that is incorrect, feel free to let me know). It just prevents what are essentially cults from forming around those offering information and the fierce debates that will inevitably result, and acts as a warning that such issues aren't going to be tolerated.

Well, I really don't know and it's not my place to say. The way I remember the events, some things happened during the whole Tex-a-thon insanity. There was a by-now-famous and best-forgotten insider report that turned out to be on the less-than-prescient side, which isn't that unusual. But in that particular case, it got lots of attention, due to the scope of Tex-mania, and perhaps some folks beyond the OH got the impression that the OH itself was announcing something, or implicitly vouching for something, that turned out to be not true. Perhaps that put some folks in an awkward position about it, and made insider reports seem like something of a double-edged sword. But that's just off the top of my head from memory, I could be wrong about it.

As Tony said in an earlier thread, the insiders' sources either dried up, or became so far removed from "the inside" that they were merely passing on 3rd hand rumors. This most likely due to AM's policy of keeping things close to the vest.

Perhaps we could just start a new and imrpoved version titled "3rd hand rumors"? Can't be any more or less speculative than the trade threads we see.

Well, thanks for the answers to my questions about posting inside info at the OH. I understand the reasons Tony put a stop to it and mostly agree with his decision.

That said, I still love to read inside info, so could anyone post or PM me some twitter accounts I might enjoy following?

Thanks again, crew.

No, I will not miss it because every little blurb, true or not was dissected and people always got their panties in a wad, me included, when it was something we didn't like.

I am all for moves actually happening before they can be discussed and not agonizing over a potential move that someone's cousin's brother's friend told a guy who sat next to him on a bus said would happen.

I may be wrong here, and Tony or somebody else can correct me if I am, but I recall seeing something from him or another admin posting that they asked them not to share inside info on the board...

If that did happen, it's on a poster-by-poster basis only. Miller, for example, can post anything he wants in the Ravens area. He is an Insider (no quotes).

Well, to be fair, he has a good point. The information that is posted, and the discussions that come out of those pieces, are part of what has made the board interesting over the years...

Yeah, I agree he has a good point, but the "it's the only thing worth signing onto OH for" and the "most of the site is a sea of things that don't matter" and "bring back one of the only true values of the board" is ridiculous.

The process won't stop, imo. This is the age of Twitter & Blogs, as others have already pointed out, so we'll still get those 1,000-page threads where we scream and holler about how many millions it will take to get so-and-so here, and whether or not Angelos will really pony up the cash, etc. It's just that the whole twisted process will start somewhere other than Our Insiders.

And by the way, if they're still "allowed" to PM us about what they've heard, isn't this whole thread moot? Someone will get a juicy PM, and mention it in a thread, and we'll be off to the races.

Archived