Will you miss the "insider info" this offseason?

ChaosLex

Will you miss the "insider info" this offseason?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Will you miss the "insider info" this offseason?

:o

Sorry, too lazy and tired to read through the whole thread.

In my humble opinion, I think the insiders should be allowed to post anything given that Tony and company review their sources. I'm wondering if the O's brass has personally requested Tony and co. take this stance.:scratchchinhmm:... to avoid more of the Bedard debacle, etc...

The Orioles have not requested anything from us ever. Part of the reason we stopped the "insiders" from posting their stuff was because of their "sources" or lack there of in some cases. I requested several times for bigbird to give me information about his source and he didn't respond. That was my last straw with him. Besides, I got tired of the "I'm taking my ball and going home" threads and all the posts that followed arguing over it. I know from my own sources how MacPhail operates so a lot of the information coming out was just plain false or probably more accurate, hearsay.

I really didn't have a big issue with the inside information, but it got to the point last offseason that it was more hassle than it was worth. We got tired of hearing OH says, when it was a rumor on our message board.

However, if an insider validates their source with us before they start to post, we will be glad to let them post some stuff, but until then we'll keep away from that stuff.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles have not requested anything from us ever. Part of the reason we stopped the "insiders" from posting their stuff was because of their "sources" or lack there of in some cases. I requested several times for bigbird to give me information about his source and he didn't respond. That was my last straw with him. Besides, I got tired of the "I'm taking my ball and going home" threads and all the posts that followed arguing over it. I know from my own sources how MacPhail operates so a lot of the information coming out was just plain false or probably more accurate, hearsay.

I really didn't have a big issue with the inside information, but it got to the point last offseason that it was more hassle than it was worth. We got tired of hearing OH says, when it was a rumor on our message board.

However, if an insider validates their source with us before they start to post, we will be glad to let them post some stuff, but until then we'll keep away from that stuff.

Kudos to you.

Fair or unfair, it comes across as an OH-supported nugget especially when people are categorized as "insiders." It gives gives them more credence then their information prob deserves.

As I've said, I don't think the insiders were necessarily trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes...I just think their information was at best "outdated" for the most part...and whatever was accurate, was prob not much of a "secret" in the warehouse.

The insider info was also contradicting and inaccurate. That severely jeopardizes the credibility of the Orioles Hangout.

And if you think the OH is filled with a lot of what you say it is, you clearly don't follow the board that often.

Trades proposals like trading Berken, DHernandez, and Hoes for Adrian Gonzo helps out the cred?

It's a fan message board for goodness sake, 95% of this stuff is fantasy land which makes it fun. Majority of us are fans, not professional baseball scouts or FO people. It is nice to see a different perspective.

I do miss the insiders posts, but why would they want to post their info?

- that get roasted if they are wrong

- lose their connections if they give too much or provide it to early

The only upside is to boost their ego which I think is incorrect even though a lot of people on this board would believe that.

Perhaps we could just start a new and imrpoved version titled "3rd hand rumors"? Can't be any more or less speculative than the trade threads we see.

OK I'll start, I said Hi, to Andy last ST, and just when I was about to wash my hands later, I noticed a smudge in the shape of an Oriole. It seems to spell out different messages from time to time, so I haven't washed it off. My little bird tells me that the O's are going to WOW Pujols.:mwahaha:

Insider info is one of the only reasons it is even worth signing onto Orioles Hangout. Most of the site is filled with ideas rooted in irrational beliefs, outlandish trade proposals, and what nicknames should be given to players. In this sea of things that don't matter one bit, the diamond in the rough was the insider information. Please post it this offseason, its what makes it bearable.

Don't get me wrong, some posts are valuable, but who cares what the best team we can put together of the last 12 seasons? Bring back one of the only true values to the board, the insider information.

If insider information is the only thing that makes this site bearable, why do you come here? The alleged "insiders" have all but vanished. Forget the prospect rankings, prospect tracker, Major and minor league recaps, scouting reports, columns, Keys Korner, and everything else that's available...you're just in it for cryptic 'take this with a grain of salt' rumor mongering, is that it? That's kind of pathetic, don't you think?

Why does Tony feel insiders shouldn't post on the board anymore. It is called a "discussion" board for a reason. People are allowed to discuss/argue their cases.

Insider info is one of the only reasons it is even worth signing onto Orioles Hangout. Most of the site is filled with ideas rooted in irrational beliefs, outlandish trade proposals, and what nicknames should be given to players. In this sea of things that don't matter one bit, the diamond in the rough was the insider information. Please post it this offseason, its what makes it bearable.

Don't get me wrong, some posts are valuable, but who cares what the best team we can put together of the last 12 seasons? Bring back one of the only true values to the board, the insider information.

People that want to argue with it and tell the insiders they are wrong, who cares what they have to say. They obviously spend too much time thinking about it and need a better hobby. Like they say "take it with a grain of salt"

Wow, if that is TRULY "one of the only reasons" you logged onto the Hangout, than I wonder if you are truly an Orioles or baseball fan? There is SO much to do on here, the inside info will hardly be missed. However, if that is really what makes you tick, then there are plenty of us who can make up stuff that might sound logical and could get 50 page threads going! :laughlol:

I'll miss the rumors and the ensuing hilarity a ton. It was so much fun.

I appreciate that Tony doesn't have some inflexible policy either, if someone has a real source, and wants to share it with the OH, there's an avenue for that.

Did elsid ever divulge his source? :mwahaha: :laughlol: :rofl: :D :clap3:

Trades proposals like trading Berken, DHernandez, and Hoes for Adrian Gonzo helps out the cred?

It's a fan message board for goodness sake, 95% of this stuff is fantasy land which makes it fun. Majority of us are fans, not professional baseball scouts or FO people. It is nice to see a different perspective.

I do miss the insiders posts, but why would they want to post their info?

- that get roasted if they are wrong

- lose their connections if they give too much or provide it to early

The only upside is to boost their ego which I think is incorrect even though a lot of people on this board would believe that.

First, you are exaggerating. Most posts are to some level well thought out.

Getting to the point you are criticizing me on, read Tony's post above. The OH has been sited for a few rumors in the past and it reflects bad on the OH as a source of information if the rumors are false.

Well, to be fair, he has a good point. The information that is posted, and the discussions that come out of those pieces, are part of what has made the board interesting over the years. Honestly, I like watching the entire process of a deal, from first rumor (or, in many, many cases, first discussion around here, as many of the members of the board have the smarts and savvy to create realistic potential deals that, in a few cases, have gone through in one form or another) through the discussions to the "Welcome [blank]"/"[blank] Appreciation Thread" posts.

Of course, the information has created far too many problems over the years to blame Tony and the mods for wanting to curtail even the appearance of official or unofficial sanction. Really, I have no problem with this sort of regulation.

It will raise the overall level of debate, which can be difficult enough in some threads as it is but is especially wanting in the coldest days of winter. I also don't think it prevents members, even those as previously-known insiders, from presenting information that they hear (although if that is incorrect, feel free to let me know). It just prevents what are essentially cults from forming around those offering information and the fierce debates that will inevitably result, and acts as a warning that such issues aren't going to be tolerated.

I'll tell you Tony, it's really scary here inside your mind :laughlol: :D

I, for one, support this 100%. And every indication that I had was that AM was far too cage-y to let anything important slip out.

Archived