Will you miss the "insider info" this offseason?

ChaosLex

Will you miss the "insider info" this offseason?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Will you miss the "insider info" this offseason?

I'll miss the frustrating excitement of trying to deduce the cryptic comments and I'll miss all the controversy about the veracity of the sources. Yeah I'll miss it, it was fun trying to figure out if it was true or not, and frankly, it's a fun game, but a game nonetheless and made for fun reading. It made the off-season just a tad more bearable and a tad less boring.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really didn't have a big issue with the inside information, but it got to the point last offseason that it was more hassle than it was worth. We got tired of hearing OH says, when it was a rumor on our message board.

However, if an insider validates their source with us before they start to post, we will be glad to let them post some stuff, but until then we'll keep away from that stuff.

Makes perfect sense to me...

The fact that the Warehouse suddenly stopped being a sieve, along with all the manic attention the Tex thing got, combined to dull the good edge of the double-edge sword and sharpen up the bad edge. While the insiders might have been behaving exactly the same as always, the situation became quite different.

If insider information is the only thing that makes this site bearable, why do you come here? The alleged "insiders" have all but vanished. Forget the prospect rankings, prospect tracker, Major and minor league recaps, scouting reports, columns, Keys Korner, and everything else that's available...you're just in it for cryptic 'take this with a grain of salt' rumor mongering, is that it? That's kind of pathetic, don't you think?

No pathetic would be taking offense to someone's opinion and especially anything said on this message board...see above for example

Wow, if that is TRULY "one of the only reasons" you logged onto the Hangout, than I wonder if you are truly an Orioles or baseball fan? There is SO much to do on here, the inside info will hardly be missed. However, if that is really what makes you tick, then there are plenty of us who can make up stuff that might sound logical and could get 50 page threads going! :laughlol:

I realize there are other aspects to this site. However, the insider info is what keeps me going through the offseason, its fun. People take it too seriously, but its fun to get an inside look at whats going on in the front office.

I am a gigantic orioles fan, I bring my glove to all the games to try to catch some oriole magic.......at least I used to until that stopped being cool when I was 12

No pathetic would be taking offense to someone's opinion and especially anything said on this message board...see above for example

Who's taking offense? You're the one saying the site is essentially worthless except for the rumors. You're surprised the people running the site might have a problem with that?

I realize there are other aspects to this site. However, the insider info is what keeps me going through the offseason, its fun. People take it too seriously, but its fun to get an inside look at whats going on in the front office.

I am a gigantic orioles fan, I bring my glove to all the games to try to catch some oriole magic.......at least I used to until that stopped being cool when I was 12

I agree. Except what we were being told was going on in the front office wasn't really going on in the front office. It became quite the circus.

Here's one of my old sig lines from last off-season. Does it bring back any memories for you all?

"Just to maintain some perspective here, let's say Teixeira and his wife did, in fact, attend the game. Let's say they even stopped by the suite, grabbed some shrimp and shook a few hands - hopefully after reaching for a napkin. Terrific. How is this news?" -Roch Kubatko

Oriole fans, probably OH posters (or at least OH readers), were giving Kubatko a hard time and driving him nuts because he didn't confirm a rumor posted on a message board! The rumor apparently turned into hours of extra work for guys like Kubatko and Schmuck, guys for whom chasing down these rumors is part of the job.

The 'Teix is going to be at M&T Bank Stadium with Angelos' rumor was the peak of silliness in my opinion. It may have been fun for those who are sitting at home following the rumor mill, but it must have been an absolutely ridiculous nightmare for those who are in the biz.

I felt bad for the OH staff, on whom this reflected poorly (even though there's no actually reason it should have) because of the sad behavior of a small group who took the rumors WAY too seriously. It reflected poorly on the OH because people who aren't into the whole 'message board' phenomenon don't get it and don't separate what flies around on the message board from the content on the front page or in articles. That may not be fair, but it's the way it is.

For the most part, I don't blame the 'insiders' for this problem. I blame those readers who allowed themselves to take it WAY too seriously. The time had come for the OH staff's decision to get a firm handle on the insider posts. I applaud the decision and believe the board and the Hangout as a whole are better for it.

This site is awesome for so many reasons. Since first finding it in 2002, I have learned much about baseball and become a fan and follower of minor league baseball. Something I used to ignore. Normally, the people that frequent this site are very knowledgeable and generate great baseball discussions.

That all being said, I will definitely miss the insider information. It made for an interesting offseason and some good discussions before the summer trade deadline. To all the past and present insiders, thank you.

One other thing, how do you guys use Twitter for hot stove info?

I found the insider info a lovely catalyst for discussion. It may have been false at times, but the discussion generated was real enough and fevered enough to keep me interested.

This sums it up rather well.

The insiders missed the mark a few times, but the conversation surrounding each post was a blast.

And I don't think it was that far off at times. Going back to the big controversial Tex signing, I remember seeing Flanagan a few weeks later (during the start of his transition out of the front office) and based on his reaction, the Birds really, really wanted the guy.

-Don

The Orioles have not requested anything from us ever. Part of the reason we stopped the "insiders" from posting their stuff was because of their "sources" or lack there of in some cases. I requested several times for bigbird to give me information about his source and he didn't respond. That was my last straw with him. Besides, I got tired of the "I'm taking my ball and going home" threads and all the posts that followed arguing over it. I know from my own sources how MacPhail operates so a lot of the information coming out was just plain false or probably more accurate, hearsay.

I really didn't have a big issue with the inside information, but it got to the point last offseason that it was more hassle than it was worth. We got tired of hearing OH says, when it was a rumor on our message board.

However, if an insider validates their source with us before they start to post, we will be glad to let them post some stuff, but until then we'll keep away from that stuff.

Cool. Sounds like the best approach.

Man, is it Hot Stove yet or what?

-Don

I would have a real quick change of attitudes because you are certainly not for long around here if not....

I agree. Except what we were being told was going on in the front office wasn't really going on in the front office. It became quite the circus.

Hey, you don't need OH insiders for this. I think we will do just fine starting a circus with just papers, blogs, and Twitter this offseason. For example, today I attempted to use Google News to find out where the Padres are in their GM search. I learned the following:

-The Padres either will or will not name a GM before the World Series.

-Paul DePodesta is either a top candidate, a lesser candidate, hasn't been interviewed at all, or has been fired.

-Jed Hoyer is the top candidate, either has or has not interviewed, and is or is not interested in the job.

-If your house burns down in a massive wildfire, DirecTV will bill you $280 for the satellite dish.

-The naming of the new GM means that the Padres definitely will trade Adrian Gonzalez, or they definitely will not.

See how much clearer everything is now that we have instant access to all this information? I can't wait until the winter meetings.

Archived