Does Matt Angle have a future with the O's?

ChaosLex

Agree that he'd have to do well at Bowie to have trade value.

Angle would be a real good lead-off man for some team if he's a real glove in center, hits .285 or so, has about a .385-390 OBA and can steal 25+ bases.It's possible that team could be the Os after-say- 2 1/2 more seasons in the minors.Who knows what our needs will be then?

Agree that he'd have to do well at Bowie to have trade value.

Angle would be a real good lead-off man for some team if he's a real glove in center, hits .285 or so, has about a .385-390 OBA and can steal 25+ bases.It's possible that team could be the Os after-say- 2 1/2 more seasons in the minors.Who knows what our needs will be then?

Ehhh, if he does that in Bowie and still plays great D, he'll have more than nice throw-in value. Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post.

To me, Angle right now could be the decent 4th guy in a trade. He has enough upside in defense/OBP that a team with defense issues in the outfield might want him in their system. He's not a deal maker or a deal breaker, but perhaps a useful piece. That is all I'm saying.

Well, Angle walks once every seven ABs. Taveras, about one every eighteen. Of course, Taveras was much better than that in the minors.

The problem of no power, I guess.

I'm not saying it applies directly to Angle, but yeah if ML pitchers know they can basically knock the bat out of your hand, there's little incentive to hit spots. Just reach back and pound the zone w/fastballs.

I know AFL stats are to be taken with a grain of salt, but Angle is on fire.

13-for-31, .419, 6 stolen bases, 3 doubles.

Would have been nice to see him moved to Bowie sooner than he was to see how he could/can handle more advanced pitching, but he'll get his chance in 2010.

Somehow someway he keeps doing what he does.

I know AFL stats are to be taken with a grain of salt, but Angle is on fire.

13-for-31, .419, 6 stolen bases, 3 doubles.

Would have been nice to see him moved to Bowie sooner than he was to see how he could/can handle more advanced pitching, but he'll get his chance in 2010.

Somehow someway he keeps doing what he does.

Unfortunately Angle made it tough for the O's to do that. He started slow in both 2008 and 2009, so midseason promotions were out of the question.

BTW so far tonight he is 3-for-5 with 2 runs scored and his sixth SB.

Is Reggie Willits a good comparison for Angle? Or can Angle be better?

Which Reggie Willits?

The Reggie Willits of 2007 was better than Angle will ever be. However Angle would be a better MLB player today than the Reggie Willits of 08-09.

I'm surprised that Willits still has a job. He has been awful.

How about Brett Gardner as a comp for Angle? He's played at a slightly more advanced level at the same ages as Angle, but his minor league numbers (.289/.389/.383) are very similar to Angle's (.292/.388/.361). Maybe Angle is a "poor man's Gardner?" Pretty faint praise there, I realize.

I think the question is, just how good is Angle's defense? If he has "best in the league" ability with the glove, then I think he becomes more intriguing. If Angle puts up a year in AA similar to his first two years, or better, then I think he has to be taken seriously as a possible starter for someone down the line. Right now, he's an interesting prospect. This is from someone who rules him out as a prospect at one point because of his total lack of power. He showed me something this year and is impressing in the AFL right now.

Are Major League Equivalent stats useful for A+ ball players? If so, they don't bode well for Angle. His overall MLE OPS is .526. :(

I think the question is, just how good is Angle's defense? If he has "best in the league" ability with the glove, then I think he becomes more intriguing. If Angle puts up a year in AA similar to his first two years, or better, then I think he has to be taken seriously as a possible starter for someone down the line. Right now, he's an interesting prospect. This is from someone who rules him out as a prospect at one point because of his total lack of power. He showed me something this year and is impressing in the AFL right now.

For a player of his skill type . . . he would ave to sell me hard with his defense at Bowie. Hitting like he has been won't do much for me there. Seeing how he handles better offspeed pitches in Norfolk would be helpful. He really is a guy who does not have a large margin of error.

I would feel more comfortable about his abilities if he was more of a .320 hitter instead of a .285 hitter in addition to his walk rate.

I think the question is, just how good is Angle's defense? If he has "best in the league" ability with the glove, then I think he becomes more intriguing.

Matusz's comment from the Prospect Tracker:

“You watch Angle, he plays so hard every game, runs so hard to every ball. He dives at the right situations. He judges balls really well and to have a guy like him in center field is awesome. He’s catching balls in right field and left field. You don’t see too many athletes like that in High-A. He’s got the best range against anyone I’ve played with or played against. He’s the best I’ve seen. Thank god he’s on my team, I love it.”

And Hebner:

“He’s the best centerfielder in our organization. He played college so he’s a little more mature than these high school kids. He gets better reads on balls. He plays good centerfield but he also plays good left center and right center. He covers a lot of acres out there I tell you. The basket catch he made the other night was the best catch you’ll see all year. He’s a baseball player. He comes to the field and he knows what he has to do.”

He's apparently very, very good defensively. Now would he be the best defensive CF in the major leagues? I doubt that.

Archived