Snyder - "I WANT to be the every day first baseman"

SilentJames

Because you aren't likely to bring in something as valuable as Hardy...The only reason we could get Hardy for Guthrie is because Hardy had an off year last year.

I would like to get some kind of established ML player for Guthrie if possible.

Now, if we can get a younger SS option, who is under control for longer, for Guthrie that would be fine..and preferred.

The problem with Hardy is that he is another 2 year stop gap. He's a gamble to be better next year with the bat, and if he is he is most likely to go FA in another year. If he isn't we won't want him in another year. Guthrie is a similar gamble but a better bet in that he is cheaper under control longer and a SP who could have more value in the NL.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not saying he'll be a poor ML 1B man. I'm saying he'll take a few years to develop and he won't produce enough to be an adequate 1B man in the AL East.

For another team in another division, he might be perfect.

Billy Butler for instance (Snyder's comp) was only a 2.5 WAR player this year.

Youkilis and Teixeira were 5.5 and 5.2 WAR players respectively. That means we need to find 2.7 - 2.3 WAR somewhere else.

That 2.3 - 2.7 WAR may not matter to a team in the AL Central, but for the AL East when you need around 50.0 WAR total, every WAR counts...

The Red Sox only had 4 starting players above 2.1 WAR (5 if you count Victor Martinez as if he had been on the team all year): Youkilis, Pedroia, Drew and Bay. Somehow, they managed to find enough WAR to be a 95-win team.

Obviously, you'd like better players at any position where you can find them, whether it's 1B or anywhere else. But it seems like 1B holds some special meaning to you. I'd be happy constructing a team that had a whole bunch of guys between 2-4 WAR all over the field.

The Red Sox only had 4 starting players above 2.1 WAR (5 if you count Victor Martinez as if he had been on the team all year): Youkilis, Pedroia, Drew and Bay. Somehow, they managed to find enough WAR to be a 95-win team.

Obviously, you'd like better players at any position where you can find them, whether it's 1B or anywhere else. But it seems like 1B holds some special meaning to you. I'd be happy constructing a team that had a whole bunch of guys between 2-4 WAR all over the field.

WOW! I can't for the life of me think why that would be.:laughlol::rofl::mwahaha:

Hah. The psychoanalytic approach to understanding JTrea: he's chasing, again and again, the first girl who broke his heart. Teix.

Actually I'm hoping the Orioles finally find a suitable replacement since Palmeiro left after 1998.

1st base has been a revolving door for 11 seasons as we have never had a solid LT solution at the position.

LF was finally fixed after it was a black hole for years, now it's time for 1B to get its due.

Actually I'm hoping the Orioles finally find a suitable replacement since Palmeiro left after 1998.

1st base has been a revolving door for 11 seasons as we have never had a solid LT solution at the position.

LF was finally fixed after it was a black hole for years, now it's time for 1B to get its due.

Oh sweetheart, I'm pretty sure first base doesn't care who is standing next to it all year. Those things out there, those bases, don't actually have feelings or any thing like that. You may see talking bases in your dreams or your favorite cartoons, but in reality they are inanimate objects.

As for the fans, I'm pretty sure they would be happy with better players playing at any position on the diamond rather than focusing on just one.

Edit: You little rascal, you!

I have a feeling you would dismiss these career ave. numbers at 1B as not being adequate to compete in the AL East. 20 HR 100 RBI .307 .358 .471 .830. I on the iother hand would love to have Don Mattingly as the O's 1B.:laughlol:

I think jtrea is way overboard a lot, but he's absolutely right about 1B on this team.

We have gone far too long with horrible production from that position. Some on here have suggested how "easy" it is to find a productive first baseman, but we've gone 10 years since we've had very good productivity there.

I'm hoping that Snyder is the answer there. It would be nice to have a home-grown talent move into a position of need.

I have a feeling you would dismiss these career ave. numbers at 1B as not being adequate to compete in the AL East. 20 HR 100 RBI .307 .358 .471 .830. I on the iother hand would love to have Don Mattingly as the O's 1B.:laughlol:

The 1999 Yankees offense is another good example of the kind of team that we want to build. No one hit more than 28 HRs, but they had an OPS of .800+ at every position but 3B and C. They scored 900 runs.

I think jtrea is way overboard a lot, but he's absolutely right about 1B on this team.

We have gone far too long with horrible production from that position. Some on here have suggested how "easy" it is to find a productive first baseman, but we've gone 10 years since we've had very good productivity there.

I'm hoping that Snyder is the answer there. It would be nice to have a home-grown talent move into a position of need.

Wait, what's he right about? That 1B has been bad? No one's disputing that. The argument is over how we address it, and the urgency of doing so. About that, he's dead-wrong.

Did you forget about Huff's 2008? I mean it was a whole year ago, sure.

Archived