Snyder - "I WANT to be the every day first baseman"

SilentJames

Ok now I am completely lost. How does this post

Guthrie isn't expensive...He is under team control for a while and he doesn't have injury concerns hanging over his head...Plus, he likely won't cost as much to obtain as a potential trade target like Vazquez.

correlate to this one

3) They need to obtain a solid starter....Someone on a short term deal(unless you can get Lackey which ain't happening) that has good upside and can eat innings.

4) Look to move Guthrie...He has value and should be able to get us another piece.

My point is that you keep Guthrie instead of trading him and essentially replacing him with the solid starter you are wanting to sign in number 3.

The first post I quoted is reasons to keep Guthrie and not go after a FA. I have to be missing something.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, what's he right about? That 1B has been bad? No one's disputing that. The argument is over how we address it, and the urgency of doing so. About that, he's dead-wrong.

Yes...I was merely saying that he was right about us having a hole at 1st base for the last ten years. I agree that he is wrong about how to address it.

Did you forget about Huff's 2008? I mean it was a whole year ago, sure.

Huff was mainly the DH in 2008. Millar was our regular first baseman.

This is sort of where I am, too. 2010 is still a year to let our young players gain experience and grow. The growing pains shouldn't be as sharp in 2010. But if Snyder and Bell didn't play about as much as Wieters and Reimold did in 2009, and if Arrieta didn't get at least 15 big league starts, I'd be disappointed.

This is why I think we should target Glaus. He's a right-handed power hitter. He can play first or third, or he can DH. I feel like he's the veteran we can add to this lineup that will make us a bit more competitive next year without blocking anybody.

Ok now I am completely lost. How does this post

correlate to this one

My point is that you keep Guthrie instead of trading him and essentially replacing him with the solid starter you are wanting to sign in number 3.

The first post I quoted is reasons to keep Guthrie and not go after a FA. I have to be missing something.

You are..The point is to trade him before his value goes down.

I am not sure I agree with that...It MIGHT be down from where it was last offseason but its not rock bottom.

Guthrie is a interesting case. He could either be solid trade-bait or a nice insurance policy. I am willing to take the risk that Guthrie looks more like the Guts of September than the one of the Summer next year.

By that standard I would be compelled to hold on to him at least until the deadline next year. He is insurance.

It's having unproven players at primary offensive positions that is the problem.

You don't see many contending teams have unproven players at both 1B and 3B.

Usually there is an established bat at one or both of those positions.

Take this year's playoff teams for example.

PHI: Howard/Feliz

STL:Pujols/DeRosa

LAD:Loney/Blake

COL:Helton/Atkins

BOS: Youkilis/Lowell

NYY: Teixeira/ARod

LAA: Morales/Figgins

MIN: (Morneau)Cuddyer/Crede

Well of course you don't usually have contenders with unproven guys at both of those positions, most building teams don't either. But that's a rather odd way to look at it. What's the difference where the unproven guys play?

BTW, how how did that unproven Morales do this year?

Well of course you don't usually have contenders with unproven guys at both of those positions, most building teams don't either. But that's a rather odd way to look at it. What's the difference where the unproven guys play?

BTW, how how did that unproven Morales do this year?

JTrea, do you realize that last year Figgins and Morales combined for 2.1 WAR. This year, 10.2.

So, there's that.

Izturis was worth 1.3 Wins and 5.6m in 114 games. Which pro-rates to something like 1.7 wins and 7m.

All for a price of $2m.

Yeah, he's really the core of our worries.

I've noted we need a long-term replacement. Short-term, he's clearly not the end of the world.

Yes, saying he's awful is well awful. I don't see SS as a need for next year at all. Look for a long-term solution and get one if it makes sense. But it's very possible that the right deal won't be there, so go with Izturis and continue to look for a guy in a trade during the season, if nothing turns up, deal with it next off-season.

I'm also fine with keeping Guthrie as that solid innings eater SG wants, but that of course depends on what can be done regarding him and pitching targets.

It's just not as black and white as SG's statements suggest imo. Plenty of variables.

Why is everybody discounting Michael Aubrey. I believe it is because we didn't pay much for him. It seemed to me he showed a lot this past year even forgetting his monster game. Give him a shot for the first half and keep one eye on Snyder in the minors.

Why is everybody discounting Michael Aubrey. I believe it is because we didn't pay much for him. It seemed to me he showed a lot this past year even forgetting his monster game. Give him a shot for the first half and keep one eye on Snyder in the minors.

Because people here feel that he's this past seasons version of Luis Hernandez. He hit well in limited AB's but when exposed more the holes in his swing will be found

It's so sad that an awesome article on one of our top prospects has turned into this.

If we don't bring in someone new, Snyder has to be the favorite to win the job out of spring training if they aren't playing the service time game.

Unfortunately because of a certain member of this board, every thread turns into this.

It's made this place far less enjoyable, IMHO.

Archived