Snyder - "I WANT to be the every day first baseman"

SilentJames

Show me a playoff team in the past 10 years that had two corner IFers with less than 2 years MLB experience.

I don't feel like searching for that, but again, why does the position matter? If we had the corners covered and were looking to break in guys at LF and SS next year, you'd be saying the same exact thing.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Show me a playoff team in the past 10 years that had two corner IFers with less than 2 years MLB experience.

I can't. Throw in the towel. It's all over. Might as well trade off Wieters and company now, this team is DONE. Snyder and Bell? Might as well be Goofus and Gallant. Ain't gonna be no playoffs for evers. :D

Seriously though, the whole point of 2010 is reasonable projections. If each makes the team in 2010 and one happens to not seem legit, then in 2011 or 2012, you invest in the FA market for that last piece. This team is not going to be in the playoffs next year regardless. 2011 or 2012...possibly 2010...probably not.

And the '07 DBacks had a rookie 3B, a second year 1B(plus 40 games the year before), a rookie CF(plus 30 games the year before), and a SS who had 59 games the year before.

Yeah I found them as well.

I figured there had to be one somewhere along the line, but just doing a quick search, that would be the only one.

The fact that 1 team out of 80 had that situation shows you the Orioles chances of making the playoffs in 2011 with that same situation IMO.

It can be done, but it does put us at a disadvantage going in IMO. And we need just about every advantage we can get.

I figured there had to be one somewhere along the line, but just doing a quick search, that would be the only one.

The fact that 1 team out of 80 had that situation shows you the Orioles chances of making the playoffs in 2011 with that same situation IMO.

It can be done, but it does put us at a disadvantage going in IMO. And we need just about every advantage we can get.

I can't fathom the logic that leads to you to that conclusion.

The vast majority of teams don't have unproven guys at the corners.

You can find plenty of examples of teams with one unproven guy and one proven guy that wasn't good at the corners that made the playoffs. Or two proven guys that weren't that good or didn't have good seasons.

Once again, there is no reason why these positions are anymore important to have proven guys than any other.

Like I said, if we had a SS and LF prospect instead, you'd being making the same argument, and you know that's true, but yet, you go on with this nonsense about needing a proven guy at one or both of the corners.

If he's a .700-.800 OPS guy with a UZR over 5, then he's a very valuable commodity.

That's a big if, which is exactly why McPhail isn't going to get him.

The house money is on Hardy never being worth what he was before. McPhail doesn't bet against the house. He simply bides his time and picks his spots to make a calculated, smart move.

If McPhail trades Guthrie for Hardy, and Hardy continues at his 2009 pace, he will have basically given Guthrie away for nothing, while also losing a potentially stabilizing member of the rotation who could, if we are so inclined, retrieve a Josh Bell-like prospect in a later deal.

McPhail doesn't jump the gun. He won't make any trade with that type of downside risk.

We are not trading Guthrie for Hardy. Sorry everyone, but you should stop fooling yourselves.

That's fine but that doesn't change the fact that the majority of playoff teams do not have two guys at the corner IF spots that are trying to prove they belong in MLB.

It will take until 2012 at the earliest IMO for Snyder and Bell to be established.

If the goal is to be competing for a playoff spot in 2011, we are at a disadvantage already with two unestablished players at the corner spots based on the makeup of playoff teams. If we did make the playoffs it would extremely unusual.

Trea, I just get the feeling that the only reason you are saying this is because it's two guys you don't like (for lack of a better term). If we had a different "unestablished" firstbaseman you would be all over him.

Trea, I just get the feeling that the only reason you are saying this is because it's two guys you don't like (for lack of a better term). If we had a different "unestablished" firstbaseman you would be all over him.

No doubt..If Smoak was in AAA, no chance he would block him.

You continue to ignore the fact that having two starting corners IFers with less than 2 years MLB experience is an unusual occurrence all by itself. Therefore, having such a team in the playoffs is also necessarily an unusual occurrence.

When is the last time a team made the playoffs with five lefthanded starters in the rotation? Probably never. I would say that this just means that a rotation with five lefties is a very rare occurrence. But by your logic, a rotation of Lester, Hamels, Sabathia, Kershaw, Pettite wouldn't have a chance of getting into the playoffs.

I think the logic here is bad. We are trying to build a team that can be competitive for a long time. If we think playing Snyder and Bell as regulars in 2011 is going to advance that goal, we can't worry about the fact that it hurts us a bit in 2011.

But to me, this discussion is far too abstract. It all depends when these guys are ready to be brought up, and how well they do when they get here. Let's say Snyder comes up partway through 2010 and puts up .280/.340/.440; that's a completely different scenario than if he is brought up and hits .245/.300/.380. What I would do in 2011 in those two situations might be very different.

Archived