Snyder - "I WANT to be the every day first baseman"

SilentJames

Billy Butler had a 850+ OPS this year...He hit 21 homers and had 51 doubles at the age of 23...If Snyder turns out to be Butler, we will be in good shape.

Agreed. And if Mike Jacobs is the floor, that's not so bad either (as a floor).

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. And if Mike Jacobs is the floor, that's not so bad either (as a floor).

Well Jacobs has been worth less than a replacement player for the past two seasons.

I would hope we could do better than that...

I don't think people realize the talent it is going to take to win just the WC in this division. We need around 50 WAR total to have a shot.

Having above average or slightly above replacement player value isn't going to cut it.

Well Jacobs has been worth less than a replacement player for the past two seasons.

I don't think people realize the talent it is going to take to win just the WC in this division.

He has a career .798 OPS, that's what's his FLOOR. Not too shabby.

Oh yeah, :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The 1997 O's got a combined OPS of about .774 at 1B/3B, and about the same at DH, all while carrying .601 OPS Bordick at SS.

This thread has gone far afield. Don't we want to find out what Snyder and Bell can do? We are debating whether we can carry two sub-.800 OPS corner infielders, before we know that this is what we should expect from these guys.

Please don't gloss over this post, Trea.

For the zillionth time, you grossly underestimate the importance of starting pitching.

I don't think people realize the talent it is going to take to win just the WC in this division.

The 2009 version of Jacobs certainly would not be good.

I think people are pretty aware of what it's going to take to win the wild card and/or compete for a division title. I don't know a single person who believes we are likely to get all the way there without acquiring some outside talent. Where we disagree with you is when and how to acquire it.

If you were here in 2008, you know I've made this exact same argument.

I was here. You argued for Scott Moore and complained constantly how he had gotten screwed for the likes of Kevin Millar. Now we have another player (who is considered an actual prospect) and you are advocating blocking him at best by trading half the farm system for AGON or at worst with Carlos Delgado or someone similar. Your argument in favor of doing the same thing to Snyder that was done to Moore is that back then we weren't competing and now we are? To me it is just too inconsistent.

Personally, I thought they should have given Moore a shot similarly I think they should give Snyder a shot.

I think LJ is right tho, I don't think you are (he used the word manipulating, I prefer manufacturing) arguments, I think you have a strange sense of the universe.

But hey it takes all kinds...

LOL...You continue to ignore WHAT YOU SAID.

What team OPS do you think this team needs to contend?

It's not about OPS anymore. It's about WAR IMO.

We need around 50 WAR to have a shot in this division.

Whatever combo defensively or offensively gets us to that number is what we need.

Please don't gloss over this post, Trea.

For the zillionth time, you grossly underestimate the importance of starting pitching.

Yep...And he continues to ignore what he has said about the production of the other 6 players..I continue to ask him about it but he runs away and hides from that discussion.

I think LJ is right tho, I don't think you are (he used the word manipulating, I prefer manufacturing) arguments, I think you have a strange sense of the universe.

But hey it takes all kinds...

I think delusional is the word you're looking for here.

It's not about OPS anymore. It's about WAR IMO.

We need around 50 WAR to have a shot in this division.

Whatever combo defensively or offensively gets us to that number is what we need.

It's never about one thing, yet another concept you seem to be unable to understand.

Archived