Snyder - "I WANT to be the every day first baseman"

SilentJames

Please take no offense to this, but I think the analogy applies. I understand that the current marketplace makes this analogy a touchy subject.

Trea...what you're advocating is akin to buying a house at the top of the bubble. It doesn't seem to matter to you that you could have the house your parents grew up in for free, and that house might fit your family just fine. You want the most house you can afford.

But boom...you buy it and the market goes bust. What then? Why would Peter Angelos, as an owner and business man, want to be so leveraged into a contract (both in terms of lost money and lost prospects)?

Shouldn't AM be able to see the housing market for what it is? Shouldn't a good business man recognize that the house he has might be fine, that the house he wants is way over priced and that there's always another opportunity to get a good deal on a house in the future? Wouldn't a prudent business man try to run his business in a way that doesn't leverage his resources to the max?

You, sir, are fixated on timing and names, not on prudent leadership of an organization. AM is fixated on the latter, yet somehow he keeps acquiring more guys who fit the long term vision of this franchise w/o putting us in financial or organizational player development ruins.

Your style might be good for a 1-2 year spike, but it would leave us busted if any of the risk we accept becomes reality. AM's the right man to build this franchise for the long term.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish I'd thought of saying that ;-)

I don't like this analogy much. Free agent prices are not likely to be high this winter, in relative terms. This is more like buying a high-end SUV, big enough for a family of five, when you've just gotten married and are planning to start a family. But by the time you actually have a family of five, half the useful life of the vehicle will be used up.

I don't like this analogy much. Free agent prices are not likely to be high this winter, in relative terms. This is more like buying a high-end SUV, big enough for a family of five, when you've just gotten married and are planning to start a family. But by the time you actually have a family of five, half the useful life of the vehicle will be used up.

Yes. Nicely put.

It's more like buying a very expensive *used* SUV that has demonstrated it's not a lemon, demonstrated that it has done what you want it to do, but which has 90,000 miles of its 150,000 expected lifespan already on the clock ;-)

ps: I think we're probably doomed trying to compare ballplayers to inanimate objects.

Smoak was just named MVP of the World Cup Tournament when he smashed 9 HR and drove in 22.

Keep in mind the talent level Snyder is facing in the AFL. He crushed AA pitching in Bowie in that short stint and he's seeing a mixture of AAA to A ball pitching.

Smoak was better than Snyder in AAA this year that's for sure.

The jury is still out if Snyder can hit AAA pitching on a consistent basis.

I thought the PCL was a hitter's paradise and Snyder is playing in an extreme pitcher's park.

Just saying. I thought Smoak was the second coming. I thought that we were fools to take Matusz over him.

Well, Smoak is struggling at AAA. The whole point of this is Snyder wants an opportunity to play his way on to the team - yet you want an established player, unless he is someone like Smoak who is NOT established and struggling at AAA but is supposed to be the next Tex and since you agree with it that is okay.

We don't know if Snyder is a long-term solution because we haven't given him a chance to be the long-term solution. But we can't do that because he is not established so he can't be a long-term solution.

Smoak crushed the ball in AA and has struggled in AAA, in a league that is supposed to be hitter-friendly. No one here is saying that Snyder is an LT solution, but he might be - why not find out if he is for real?

Taking a chance on Snyder does not cost us anything, same with Bell. If they suck in ST we can keep them down and move on to plan B.

Archived