Snyder - "I WANT to be the every day first baseman"

SilentJames

I'd comment about how one poster completely ambushes 90% of threads but would probably be called out for "trolling" (whatever that is).

Oh yea, the original post. Almost forgot what it was. Good for Snyder that he feels that way. If it was Scott Moore saying that last season we would be hearing from Daddy Ambush that he has just the kind of attitude that this team needs. AM is building a system of guys that have played on some winning teams in the minors, spent time together, and want to do it at the big league level. That is the real goal of every GM to create that type of climate in the organization. Then you focus on trades, free agents, etc. I like reading something from a young player like that.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the part that I think is important:

"I want to win the job and be the every day first baseman. The home grown guy that's been an Oriole and is going to stay an Oriole. I know those guys that went up this last year and did well in the big leagues. I want to be one of those guys as well."

Starting this year, we're gonna have a significant group of young guys showing up in ST, and it's gonna be their team. Recently, they've been sorta trickling in, one at a time. But starting this ST, they're gonna show up together and start acting like they own the place. What Snyder is talking about is being part of that, being part of a group of guys for whom it's *their* team. Not something that feels to them like PA's team, not just any random MLB team, but *their* team. This is what we want. We want guys who feel like they belong here, guys who want to be here, who feel like the uniform with "Orioles" on the shirt is the uniform they belong in. Not just a uniform they're getting paid to wear until they wear the next team's shirt, but a uniform that feels to them like *their* uniform. That was a big part of the Oriole Way. While a couple guys took the money and ran, most guys did not want to leave, they wanted to stay. Because they felt like they belonged here. That's why Cal stayed. That's why Palmer stayed.

People can say it's all about the money and nothing else, but that's true only if something is missing. If the organization is doing things right, then it's not just about ballplayers being mercenaries, it's about having the players feel that the team is their team. And *that* is what we want. It's what you call "intangibles". When you have that is when the manager doesn't need to chew guys out, because the players handle it first. When players feel like it's their team, they get in the face of somebody who's screwing it up. People talk about how Nick and Wieters don't have a rah-rah kind of personality, but that's different than leadership. If it feels like their team, they will say something to a guy who's not doing things right. It doesn't have to be yelling, it doesn't have to be high drama. It can be very quiet and serious, just calmly explaining that whatever the other guy just did isn't good enough and that he's expected to do better. The requirement for that isn't being Millar-like or AJ-like. The requirement is that the players feel like it's their team, and that what anybody on the team does reflects on everybody else. For the Orioles to truly get back, they need to get that aspect of team identity back. Seeing young guys talking like Snyder was just quoted, well, that shows that the message isn't just DT talking to the media, it shows that the message is filtering down to guys on the farm. IMO, that's a very good sign. It's been a while.

I just love the thought process that leads to believing 1-2 unproven players in the starting lineup automatically makes 2011 a build year regardless of what's going on with the rest of the team.

I guess a lot more teams are building than I thought, including teams that are clearly contenders.

I just love the thought process that leads to believing 1-2 unproven players in the starting lineup automatically makes 2011 a build year regardless of what's going on with the rest of the team.

I guess a lot more teams are building than I thought, including teams that are clearly contenders.

Exactly.

By Trea's thought process...

Obviously that Joba kid just ain't ever gonna make it. The Yanks should just cut him loose now before they waste any more time with him, and get a proven Premier guy to take his place!

Here's the part that I think is important:

Starting this year, we're gonna have a significant group of young guys showing up in ST, and it's gonna be their team. Recently, they've been sorta trickling in, one at a time. But starting this ST, they're gonna show up together and start acting like they own the place. What Snyder is talking about is being part of that, being part of a group of guys for whom it's *their* team. Not something that feels to them like PA's team, not just any random MLB team, but *their* team. This is what we want. We want guys who feel like they belong here, guys who want to be here, who feel like the uniform with "Orioles" on the shirt is the uniform they belong in. Not just a uniform they're getting paid to wear until they wear the next team's shirt, but a uniform that feels to them like *their* uniform. That was a big part of the Oriole Way. While a couple guys took the money and ran, most guys did not want to leave, they wanted to stay. Because they felt like they belonged here. That's why Cal stayed. That's why Palmer stayed.

I could not agree more. With the exception of Matusz and Uehara, Snyder's already played with all the rookies that were brought up last season, as far back as his rookie season. He even caught for Berken, Bergy, and Hernandez. He feels like this is his team already, because in many ways it is.

Again Jay Bruce was at a .773 OPS last year.

Adam Jones last year finished at a .792 OPS.

To expect Snyder and Bell to have an OPS of .825 just a year after they make their debut supposedly is unrealistic IMO.

I think you are being overly optimistic when looking at the timeline for Snyder's and Bell's progression.

It's easy to do when they are doing so well in the AFL, but there have been plenty of players that have done well in the AFL and struggled in AAA the next season.

I was talking about what level they would need to reach to make the O's a highly competitive offensive team. I wasn't predicting they would reach that level.

I don't think that the Bruce and Jones examples are dispositive, though. Every player is different. Every year there are rookies and second-year players who are well over .825 OPS. Sometimes it's the highly-touted prospect, sometimes it's someone you didn't expect. For every Jay Bruce who doesn't quite get off to the roaring start everyone expected, there's a Joey Votto who exceeds expectations (.874 and .981 in his first 2 seasons). I do agree with you that it would be wrong to expect Snyder and Bell to be .825-ish in 2011. But it's certainly possible; in fact it is possible that one or both could be much higher.

I for one can't be more excited to watch 2010 even if we make zero "premium" moves this offseason. I guess I believe we have something special brewing and watching it ferment I think will be as exciting as the watching the final product. Watching the lightbulb come on for Wieters, Matusz, Pie, Jones (to an extent) and Reimold made watching what was a horrific season in wins and losses actually fairly enjoyable for me. Signing Delgado or Glaus or fill in the blank over the hill veteran to hold down the fort for a year does nothing for me personally. I may be in the minority on here (or not) but I am willing to let the young positional guys play and lets see what happens. To me that isn't "throwing away another year" as I didn't see 2009 as a throw away year it is just part of the natural progression.

I am extremely excited to see the guys who gained experience in 2009 progress further and can't wait to see Bell, Snyder, and Arrieta get their shots next year.

The 2010 season can't start soon enough!!!!

I for one can't be more excited to watch 2010 even if we make zero "premium" moves this offseason. I guess I believe we have something special brewing and watching it ferment I think will be as exciting as the watching the final product. Watching the lightbulb come on for Wieters, Matusz, Pie, Jones (to an extent) and Reimold made watching what was a horrific season in wins and losses actually fairly enjoyable for me. Signing Delgado or Glaus or fill in the blank over the hill veteran to hold down the fort for a year does nothing for me personally. I may be in the minority on here (or not) but I am willing to let the young positional guys play and lets see what happens. To me that isn't "throwing away another year" as I didn't see 2009 as a throw away year it is just part of the natural progression.

I am extremely excited to see the guys who gained experience in 2009 progress further and can't wait to see Bell, Snyder, and Arrieta get their shots next year.

The 2010 season can't start soon enough!!!!

This is sort of where I am, too. 2010 is still a year to let our young players gain experience and grow. The growing pains shouldn't be as sharp in 2010. But if Snyder and Bell didn't play about as much as Wieters and Reimold did in 2009, and if Arrieta didn't get at least 15 big league starts, I'd be disappointed.

To me, some things need to happen this offseason:

1) Scott needs to be dealt...Not because he sucks or anything like that but because we need his roster spot and his at bats for other players.

2) Need to obtain a SS..Whether it be an immediate replacement or a long term one, a SS should be obtained.

3) They need to obtain a solid starter....Someone on a short term deal(unless you can get Lackey which ain't happening) that has good upside and can eat innings.

4) Look to move Guthrie...He has value and should be able to get us another piece.

5) Be prepared to go with a rotation of Matusz, Tillman, FA pickup or trade, BB and Arrieta by May 1....I am fine with Koji being in the rotation as well but I don't think the Orioles are going to do that.

6) Obtain a Nick Johnson/Delgado type guy for first....A low risk/high reward type guy that could easily be dealt in July if Snyder shows he is ready to take over full time.

7) Scour the waiver wire and minor leagues to find a Scott Moore type guy...A platoon guy for third base...Someone who can field and hit a little...Platoon that guy with Wiggy for the first month or 2 of the season...Now, if Moore himself is ready for ST and looks good, then use him. If Bell continues to mash AFL pitching and goes to ST and impresses, maybe you bring him up by mid to late April. In other words, the guy you bring in is used as part of a 3 way competition. I also don't have an issue with handing out a 1 year deal to a guy like Glaus, Beltre, Crede or Aki and thus let Bell get a few months under his belt in AAA.

8) By the AS break, assuming health and good performance, Bell and Snyder should be in the lineup practically everyday....Idea is to get them at least 200 ML at bats this year.

9) Obtain one young power arm for the pen...Look for high K guys that get groundballs if possible....Look to get that guy in a Scott deal. Medlen is a guy high up on my list, albeit he isn't a GB pitcher.

10) In this scenario, I think Ray is looking for a new job or is traded and Albers has an option left I believe...He has a chance to make the team but it will be tough.

It's having unproven players at primary offensive positions that is the problem.

You don't see many contending teams have unproven players at both 1B and 3B.

Usually there is an established bat at one or both of those positions.

Take this year's playoff teams for example.

PHI: Howard/Feliz

STL:Pujols/DeRosa

LAD:Loney/Blake

COL:Helton/Atkins

BOS: Youkilis/Lowell

NYY: Teixeira/ARod

LAA: Morales/Figgins

MIN: (Morneau)Cuddyer/Crede

I'll tell you what, I was never more interested in baseball than when Tillman, Matusz and Bergesen were up here. Before I had to wait four days for Guthrie's turn to get excited and say "Wow, we could win this one". Now it's like-- Day 1: I want to see Tillmans stuff. Day 2: I want to see Matusz's stuff. Day 3: Another quality Bergy outing. Day 4: Let's see old Guts back in action. I mean, that's the kind of baseball I want. I never want to take a day off.

To me, some things need to happen this offseason:

1) Scott needs to be dealt...Not because he sucks or anything like that but because we need his roster spot and his at bats for other players.

2) Need to obtain a SS..Whether it be an immediate replacement or a long term one, a SS should be obtained.

3) They need to obtain a solid starter....Someone on a short term deal(unless you can get Lackey which ain't happening) that has good upside and can eat innings.

4) Look to move Guthrie...He has value and should be able to get us another piece.

5) Be prepared to go with a rotation of Matusz, Tillman, FA pickup or trade, BB and Arrieta by May 1....I am fine with Koji being in the rotation as well but I don't think the Orioles are going to do that.

6) Obtain a Nick Johnson/Delgado type guy for first....A low risk/high reward type guy that could easily be dealt in July if Snyder shows he is ready to take over full time.

7) Scour the waiver wire and minor leagues to find a Scott Moore type guy...A platoon guy for third base...Someone who can field and hit a little...Platoon that guy with Wiggy for the first month or 2 of the season...Now, if Moore himself is ready for ST and looks good, then use him. If Bell continues to mash AFL pitching and goes to ST and impresses, maybe you bring him up by mid to late April. In other words, the guy you bring in is used as part of a 3 way competition. I also don't have an issue with handing out a 1 year deal to a guy like Glaus, Beltre, Crede or Aki and thus let Bell get a few months under his belt in AAA.

8) By the AS break, assuming health and good performance, Bell and Snyder should be in the lineup practically everyday....Idea is to get them at least 200 ML at bats this year.

9) Obtain one young power arm for the pen...Look for high K guys that get groundballs if possible....Look to get that guy in a Scott deal. Medlen is a guy high up on my list, albeit he isn't a GB pitcher.

10) In this scenario, I think Ray is looking for a new job or is traded and Albers has an option left I believe...He has a chance to make the team but it will be tough.

Pretty good plan, SG. I'd like to see Bell and Snyder get more than 200 AB, though. More like 300-350. Of course, they have to earn them.

It's having unproven players at primary offensive positions that is the problem.

How many of the above guys would you deal the next six year of Matt Wieters for? My answer is "none of the above".

The teams above were built to compete this year. I am sure our FO will improve our 1B/3B production at the appropriate time, perhaps not to all-star quality, but perhaps sooner than one might expect, but you have to look at the entire lineup and not just these two positions.

Need to highlight the fact that you emphazise "established" and never once mention "good". Atkins was terrible, Feliz can't hit, DeRosa is 34 and had a .752 OPS, Lowell might have been the worst defensive player in MLB, Crede hit .225 and is only in the majors because of his glove, and Morales was coming off a season where he hit .213 with 3 homers and spent most of the year in Salt Lake City.

The Orioles will be fine without an established player at every position. I'm sure every one of those teams would have been more than happy to bench a Crede or a Atkins if they had a guy like Bell or Snyder knocking on the door.

IMO, it would be necessary to see what is being offered before I would commit to a Felix Pie type low-risk, high reward reclamation project or deal Scott and/or Guts as I believe the cheapness of Reimold, Tillman, Matusz, Bergesen, Jones, Pie and Wieters form a core from which a competitive team can be built quickly - especially when surrounded by BRob and NM.

If AM is unable to secure any near-all star talents in salary dumps, then I am okay with letting the kids develop and acquiring reclamation project or two and playing for 2011.

However, I strongly believe sufficient talent will be available this offseason to form a competitive team next year. At the least, I would like to see AM acquire one near all-star quality player at 1B/3B/SS/SP with at least two years before FA/contract expiration.

Archived