It's Acta-time in Cleveland

Mad Mark

Mattingly is being groomed to take over the Dodgers from Joe Torre after next year, or so is the rumor.

Yeah, I've read that. But he's also on the short list for the Nationals this year (as well as Cleveland before the Acta hire). I just get a feeling he wants to jump right in after getting passed over in the Bronx.

Wow, so Acta was offered two jobs? What makes this guy so special? It obviously isn't his W/L record. Clearly, there had to have been better options for Cleveland.

He's a very intelligent man who knows his baseball. He's had a few interviews with the people from Baseball Prospectus and unlike a lot of the old school managers, he's always seemed willing to look at the unorthodox appraches on handling a baseball team and depending on probabilities and the like..

Can't truly blame him for drawing a bad card with Washington and the failure that is Jim Bowden. The only criticism I heard about him that actually meant something was that he was not one for pushing a team in drills and practice. Otherwise, I have great respect for him and I could see him having a fine relationship with Shapiro in Cleveland.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I think you can get Benintendi on 2-3 year deal. Cowser hit .219 in AAA so you don’t need to rush him. Assume he’s at least a year away.By that time you can figure out if Stowers is anymore than a fringe major league player. If you have surplus then you can deal 1. We have power in Adley, Gunnar, Santander, etc.  Ill keep saying that you guys are falling in the same old trap. Making plans about every prospect coming up , immediately making a impact, etc. The farm system is much improved no doubt. But, expecting to hit on a high percentage of these guys isn’t realistic.
    • Perhaps …but I’m saying they should    I’m saying we should go all in on OBP. I think with Correa and Benintendi. Dumping guys like Odor , Aguilar, Hays, Mountcastle etc you immediately go from near the bottom to the top. With the right pitcher to lead the way you go to or near the top in runs and drastically improve the run differential 
    • They can afford any one free agent that they want and still have a bottom 3rd payroll. 
    • Yes easily.  You basically posted it above too except sign Abreu instead.  Your response to wildcard has Westburg (who has power pitcher would be careful around) posting a .350 and Vavra (who has little power concerns pitchers might attack) posting a .340.     Benintendi and Abreu with $10-15m of what would have gone to Correa now going to a pitcher instead.     Mullins CF Benintendi LF Adley C Abreu DH - .350-.360 Gunnar SS Westburg 3B Santander RF Mountcastle 1B - .305 (with a stronger SLG than Vavra)  Or trade Mounty (with Mateo/Urias and Hays for an SP+) and Abreu at 1B with Stowers/Cowser/Santander at DH or RF. Ortiz/Norby 2B - .340 (even if Ortiz was a hot streak, Norby hit tool and plate discipline has a long track record) Plus money toward a better SP!  All with the same budget you’re working with signing Correa and Beni. For the record - I completely agree the OBP is a key metric we should focus on (and started a thread a while back saying so).  And I’m not advocating for or opposed to Benintendi or Abreu.  Just pointing out that improving OBP can be done in a way that doesn’t block organizational prospect strength at such a high cost while addressing other needs (like 1B depth and TOR).
    • The FO should do their best to figure out if Mullins is the strict platoon player he presented as in 2022 or the guy who can hit both righties and lefties that we saw in 2021. If they conclude that he is more of the platoon guy from this year, then we should do our best to cash in on him now.
    • I didn’t say he is a 2, but if the team thinks is defense and speed regress, and over a 5 year he’s more like a 2WAR and platoon where you cut 1/4 of his ABs because that’s your plan, then you trade him at peak value like he’s a 4-5 WAR player now.   if you think he’s a 4-5WAR Player though I believe you keep him at least until he’s a UFA. I also think he’s a 3.5+ player who can improve so I advocate keeping him and signing FA SP
    • I am very opposed to signing Rodon due to his chronic throwing arm issues, but I agree. If we are not willing to shop from the top shelf now, when our window is opening, the clock on Adley is ticking, and the payroll is microscopic, then I doubt we ever will. That said, Roch may just be speculating for content.
  • Popular Contributors