Reds looking to dump salary to add Scutaro

Roll Tide

Might just be enough, I'd have a sick stomach at first but then I might feel a little more optimistic about it.

Also, can Phillips play SS or 3B?

He has two games at SS in his MLB career, so that's probably out. I imagine he could fill in at 3B, but I don't really see him as a fit for the O's.

The proposed Votto trade is interesting, but it creates a logjam at 1B between Snyder and Alonso. The Reds may be saying that they would move Alonso to a corner OF, but I question whether he has the mobility to play anywhere but 1B, whereas Votto probably can play in the OF.

Not that I wouldn't love to install Votto at 1B for the next four years.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a bad feeling after seeing Tillman pitch. He might be great, but he looks more like a back of the rotation guy to me. I'd include him and Snyder in a deal for Votto and a high priced pitcher.

His stuff is filthy, he looks to me like a guy who is at worst a #3 starter. It seems to me many people forget he held his own at the ML level as a 21 year old kid.

Trading 3 of our top pitching prospects and two talented position players in one deal is stupid. It's stuff like that that get's GM's fired.

He has two games at SS in his MLB career, so that's probably out. I imagine he could fill in at 3B, but I don't really see him as a fit for the O's.

The proposed Votto trade is interesting, but it creates a logjam at 1B between Snyder and Alonso. The Reds may be saying that they would move Alonso to a corner OF, but I question whether he has the mobility to play anywhere but 1B, whereas Votto probably can play in the OF.

Not that I wouldn't love to install Votto at 1B for the next four years.

That's like us trading for a catching prospect and saying it creates a logjam between him and Wieters. There's no logjam.

Snyder becomes depth and trade bait.

That's like us trading for a catching prospect and saying it creates a logjam between him and Wieters. There's no logjam.

Snyder becomes depth and trade bait.

Or Alonso does. Snyder is more experienced and IMO more MLB ready than a AA player would be come opening day if Votto is indeed traded.

His stuff is filthy, he looks to me like a guy who is at worst a #3 starter. It seems to me many people forget he held his own at the ML level as a 21 year old kid.

Trading 3 of our top pitching prospects and two talented position players in one deal is stupid. It's stuff like that that get's GM's fired.

Agreed. Why are we offering so much talent to a team looking to dump salary?

I have several scenarios/basic deal frameworks:

1) Cincy is looking to cut payroll and they need a SS. We have a relatively cheap SS who is a very good defender. If AM can find a better SS, we might have an exchange here for Harang if Cincy will pick up some salary - say to keep Harang's annual cost at $10M.

2) Pie plus a prospect or two for Votto/Harang - dealing from our OF strength to land a quality producer at 1B.

Agreed. Why are we offering so much talent to a team looking to dump salary?

I have several scenarios/basic deal frameworks:

1) Cincy is looking to cut payroll and they need a SS. We have a relatively cheap SS who is a very good defender. If AM can find a better SS, we might have an exchange here for Harang if Cincy will pick up some salary - say to keep Harang's annual cost at $10M.

2) Pie plus a prospect or two for Votto/Harang - dealing from our OF strength to land a quality producer at 1B.

See this is a reasonable, thought out plan to acquire those players.

Much better than just going up and down the OH top 10 prospects lists, picking out the best guys and saying let's trade the core of our system for...(fill in the "premium" bat).

See this is a reasonable, thought out plan to acquire those players.

Much better than just going up and down the OH top 10 prospects lists, picking out the best guys and saying let's trade the core of our system for...(fill in the "premium" bat).

It's called being realistic on what it would take to land those players.

Pie plus two prospects simply isn't realistic to land Votto.

He's established now, so it's going to take an AGon haul or better to land him IMO.

He's established now, so it's going to take an AGon haul or better to land him IMO.

Then don't trade for him!!!!

Giving up 5 young, talented, cheap players in a deal just stupid.

That really depends on how badly the Reds want to dump salary.

What would it take to get Harang/Rolen? IMO, not much. The O's payroll is small enough to endure those contracts until Bell and some younger pitchers are ready.

That really depends on how badly the Reds want to dump salary.

What would it take to get Harang/Rolen? IMO, not much. The O's payroll is small enough to endure those contracts until Bell and some younger pitchers are ready.

This might not be a bad idea, but I think I'd like to see us get someone else along with those two huge deals. Maybe we could get Frazier thrown into that deal somehow. Rolen could be a place-holder for Bell and Harang would be a decent MOR arm that could fetch us a prospect or two at the deadline.

I like the idea of Harang and Votto, although I don't thing the Reds will trade Votto.

One interesting idea is Brandon Phillips. He was originally a shortstop so if he could make that switch I would be very curious to see what he would cost. Hell maybe we try to make him a 3B. Just some thoughts.

One real nice chip in our favor is having their former GM, Wayne Krivsky, assisting AM. He should have a nice relationship with their front office as well as good knowledge of the organization. That can't hurt!

Archived