Reds looking to dump salary to add Scutaro

Roll Tide

You're right, but.....

That's somewhat of a non sequitor. The artcle is about dumping salary but that's more about clearing a position for a prospect. If we went after Votto we'd still need to take a big contract.

I agree with the Phillips idea, but I doubt they'd trade JV and BF. I'd still take BF.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/reds-to-cut-payroll-big-names-could-be-dealt.html

So the Reds are looking to cut payroll and are looking to trade their big players? Who do we want and how do we get them? I know Votto has been thrown around here and he does seem intriguing, but what would it take?

If Votto is out there I'd be all over that right now. DON'T WAIT!!! Make an offer NOW!!!

That's somewhat of a non sequitor. The artcle is about dumping salary but that's more about clearing a position for a prospect. If we went after Votto we'd still need to take a big contract.

I agree with the Phillips idea, but I doubt they'd trade JV and BF. I'd still take BF.

The speculation they made was that Votto is blocking Alonso, and since he is expendable, they could package him with a bad contract if someone wanted him. I wouldn't think Harang will be that contract though, he's got value on his own, if anyone, maybe Arroyo and his $12 mil, or Rolen and his $11 mil would be the price plus a decent prospect.

Rolen, Harang and Votto for Arrieta, Reimold or Pie, Erbe and a 10-20 prospect like Steve Johnson.

In that case . . . I think it might make more sense that the deal would be Tillman, Pie, Erbe, Hernandez, and Bundy/Avery.

The Reds may be in need of a lower payroll, but other MLB teams would be involved on this.

Plus, isn't Rolen's no trade clause back in effect?

In that case . . . I think it might make more sense that the deal would be Tillman, Pie, Erbe, Hernandez, and Bundy/Avery.

The Reds may be in need of a lower payroll, but other MLB teams would be involved on this.

Plus, isn't Rolen's no trade clause back in effect?

I revised the offer....If I am taking on 20+ million in salary, I am keeping Tillman.

And I would be willing to take Rolen out and add in Cordero in the package I revised.

I revised the offer....If I am taking on 20+ million in salary, I am keeping Tillman.

And I would be willing to take Rolen out and add in Cordero in the package I revised.

I just think with Votto involved . . . us taking on 20MM might be a big deal to us, but it might not be a big deal to another team.

Any chance they jump at Guthrie and Scott? Both are cheap. They would save lot of money replacing Harang and Rolen with Guthrie and Scott.

Guthrie, Scott, and a prospect (Steve Johnson maybe)

Harang, Rolen, and Votto.

They save tons of money, the Orioles get short term fixes at 3B and starting pitching, and the long term 1B power hitter we covet. And the Orioles don't lose any of the big time prospects.

Any chance they jump at Guthrie and Scott? Both are cheap. They would save lot of money replacing Harang and Rolen with Guthrie and Scott.

Guthrie, Scott, and a prospect (Steve Johnson maybe)

Harang, Rolen, and Votto.

They save tons of money, the Orioles get short term fixes at 3B and starting pitching, and the long term 1B power hitter we covet. And the Orioles don't lose any of the big time prospects.

It just does not help the Reds in the long term.

Votto is a first basemen who is average defensively, but has plus contact skills, plus pitch recognition, and plus power. He is a 300/380/500 kind of hitter. He could be very very good. It is going to take plus upside to pick him up because other teams will be offering plus upside.

I just think with Votto involved . . . us taking on 20MM might be a big deal to us, but it might not be a big deal to another team.

Well, let's put our head's together...

What other team has the roster/budget space to take back Rolen (who would likely need a "starter" or "contender" guarantee to drop the NTC) and/or Cordero...and how many of those teams would throw in a Tillman-esque prospect to boot...

Maybe the White Sox? Seattle? Colorado? San Diego if they move AGon?

Teams with money, holes at 1B and 3B and prospects to trade are few and far between...

We're a good dance partner for them...and that's without Tillman getting involved.

The more I think about this...the more something has to get done...

Cordero is owed 24M over the next two, Bronson at 11M for one, Rolen at 11M for one...

Taking back Rolen and Cordero would be doable for us and major plus for the Reds....

Votto could be had on the cheap (prospect-wise, not monetarily) and that would make tons of sense for us.

It just does not help the Reds in the long term.

Votto is a first basemen who is average defensively, but has plus contact skills, plus pitch recognition, and plus power. He is a 300/380/500 kind of hitter. He could be very very good. It is going to take plus upside to pick him up because other teams will be offering plus upside.

What if the prospect is Britton? Big upside.

Archived