A Non-Cap Solution to the Evil Empire

Jagwar

Nationals don't play in Baltimore.

I was simply curious to what his answer would be. Again, I don't think people are likely to switch teams.

I'm fine with adding a team or teams into that region if the desire arises to build a stadium(s) which is an issue that typically gets glossed over with this point. However, I don't think it's going to garner the results we're looking for.

Again, that's the first problem.

Yeah, you draw crowds, but I don't think you're really hurting the Yanks much because not many people are going to stop going to Yanks games or watching them on TV due to this solution imo. Another issue is TV ratings would likely be very low given the market imo.

I don't think their revenue would be all that great, at least in the beginning.

Right now the Yankees are unaffordable for many New Yorkers. If you had another team in NY and tickets were half the price I don't think attendance would be an issue. Over time fans that go to a lot of the new teams games would gravitate to being fans primarily of that team although that would be a long term process.

What the team would need to do to thrive is start an RSN for the team. Ratings don't matter much, advertising is peanuts compared to the revenue generated via forced subscriptions from every cable / satellite customer in the region. Revenues would not be an obstacle.

Yeah, you draw crowds, but I don't think you're really hurting the Yanks much because not many people are going to stop going to Yanks games or watching them on TV due to this solution imo. Another issue is TV ratings would likely be very low given the market imo.

It's a long-term thing. You're talking as if loyalty is permanent, but it's not. Loyalty probable matters less now than it ever did, just because of how TV works. Using your logic, nobody would do anything. No Angels in LA, no A's in OAK. In the short run, a 3rd team would be at a loyalty disadvantage. However, as ample evidence around here shows, loyalty is very fickle. Pretty soon, "now" is nothing but a yesterday. If there was a semi-decent team in Jersey, I think it would do great... and I don't think it would take that long either. Not sure what the Brooklyn demographics are, but a team there would start out with a huge romantic advantage.

I don't think their revenue would be all that great, at least in the beginning.

So if the Nats signed some top players and were good would you start rooting for them?

No, but most of the world isn't anything like me. They're like Teixeira - they root for whatever team is "cool", no matter if it's their home team or not. How many people are freakin' Cubs fans because they were on WGN when they got home from school, even though they play 1000 miles away and weren't even any good?

It's a long-term thing. You're talking as if loyalty is permanent, but it's not. Loyalty probable matters less now than it ever did, just because of how TV works. Using your logic, nobody would do anything. No Angels in LA, no A's in OAK. In the short run, a 3rd team would be at a loyalty disadvantage. However, as ample evidence around here shows, loyalty is very fickle. Pretty soon, "now" is nothing but a yesterday. If there was a semi-decent team in Jersey, I think it would do great... and I don't think it would take that long either. Not sure what the Brooklyn demographics are, but a team there would start out with a huge romantic advantage.

That would not be the result of using my logic at all. First off, the teams that had been in those markets were not there for long beforehand, and the there are no Angels in LA, they have a different population base to draw from. People in LA for the most part did not become Angels fans.

I said the attendance would probably be good with the NYC area team, but I don't see a clamor for it, and don't see a desire to build a stadium. Those are big initial hurdles to get over. But if they get a stadium build, yeah, attendance would likely be good, I don't think TV ratings would be though. Long-term, sure things will improve. Once again, I'm fine with this happening, I just don't see it hurting the Yanks all that much.

I said the attendance would probably be good with the NYC area team, but I don't see a clamor for it, and don't see a desire to build a stadium. Those are big initial hurdles to get over. But if they get a stadium build, yeah, attendance would likely be good, I don't think TV ratings would be though. Long-term, sure things will improve. Once again, I'm fine with this happening, I just don't see it hurting the Yanks all that much.

The stadium might be the biggest hurdle if the market was opened up and a team was allowed to move there but I don't think it would be impossible especially if it was in NoNJ. TV ratings would not matter much in the short term especially if they build a network as good team or bad team, popular team or unpopular team the revenue from forced subscriptions is constant.

The stadium might be the biggest hurdle if the market was opened up and a team was allowed to move there but I don't think it would be impossible especially if it was in NoNJ. TV ratings would not matter much in the short term especially if they build a network as good team or bad team, popular team or unpopular team the revenue from forced subscriptions is constant.

Oh, I certainly don't think it would be impossible. It's just far from a given imo, which is the way some people seem to make it out to be.

I think with this, the idea would be that the team moving to town would build the stadium. Not the city or state or anyone else.

I actually think that's much less likely. Not many teams/owners are going to be willing to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium.

Archived