Mlbtraderumors.com predicts Delgado to the O's

wildcard

But for how long. If Wigginton sucks this year, he's gone after this year. If Holliday or Bay go into decline (and likely they will during the course of their next contract), we'll be stuck with them an extra 3-4 years. Do you really want another Mora or Gibbons situation on your hands?

Sure he does.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And you do? What makes your ideas right and mine wrong?

I'm saying Delgado can't be our "big bat"

When you have guys like Jason Bay and Matt Holliday in the FA market as well as plenty of options via trade, if a 38 year old Delgado is our major offensive acquisition, we won't be making much of an improvement next year IMO.

I have no problem adding Delgado as a supplemental piece, but he simply can't be the major offensive acquisition if we want to compete in 2011. Not with the opportunity that MacPhail will have this offseason to augment the offense.

You are getting AMs intentions crossed. This big bat that we are about to sign is gonna be a stopgap. This big bat that we sign this year is not intended to be a piece of our future, just a bridge to get us to the point where it makes sense to spend big bucks on a bat like Matt Holliday. We need to know what we have with Snyder and Bell so we can deem where the weaknesses are. Aside from that, there are no young big bats on the market this year that make sense for us. Why sign ANOTHER outfielder? What if we sign Holliday and then Bell flops and we have a glaring hole at 3B, but also have 5 OFers all better than average? It will be a poor use of resources. Delgado would bridge us to next year and in that offseason we will trade for or sign a big bat that fills a hole that we have.

And, if we want to compete in 2011, why go out of your way to sign a bat for $20 mill a year to waste the money in 2010. WHy not wait until after 2010 to sign that bat so we can utilize that extra offense during competitive years rather than noncompetitive years....We do not have unlimited resources, and money that is saved here, can be used elsewhere such as the draft or the international scene, or in player development, or just for extra bucks for the free agent market next year....

I hate repeating myself like this but people seem to ask the same question.

Then STOP repeating yourself. We get it. You think the O's need to do something big this off-season. Andy MacPhail needs to pursue "premium talent." We get it. This title of this thread is specific: Carlos Delgado. Stop hijacking threads by diverting the conversation into your personal soapbox. STOP.

There is so much wrong with this statement.

As I pointed out even with the improvement of our young players for 2011, we will need around 20 WAR to compete in 2011 in addition to what we have.

Do you have confidence that a methodical MacPhail can obtain all of that in one offseason? I don't, hence why we need to do something major this offseason to ramp up so we don't need to add that all at once.

Then STOP repeating yourself. We get it. You think the O's need to do something big this off-season. Andy MacPhail needs to pursue "premium talent." We get it. This title of this thread is specific: Carlos Delgado. Stop hijacking threads by diverting the conversation into your personal soapbox. STOP.

I was asked the question so I answered it.

I apologize if it was hijacking.

My point (on topic) is that Delgado can't be the major offseason acquisition if we are going to compete in 2011. I am fine with him as a supplemental as I've stated. If people want to engage me on that topic, I will respond in kind.

As I pointed out even with the improvement of our young players for 2011, we will need around 20 WAR to compete in 2011 in addition to what we have.

Do you have confidence that a methodical MacPhail can obtain all of that in one offseason? I don't, hence why we need to do something major this offseason to ramp up so we don't need to add that all at once.

He doesn't have to acquire it all in one offseason...Between now and the start of 2011, he will have 2 offseasons and a trading deadline.

There is absolutely no reason why AM can't improve this team this offseason while also keeping an eye on the future. If a premium level talent comes along and that player can be dealt for in a deal that makes sense, then you do it...But that doesn't HAVE to happen this offseason.

Your ideas are just wrong.

Because I know a lot more than you do.

Why not? If he is healthy, he could easily be a 900+ OPS/30+ homer guy.

You just don't get it...Our improvement is going to have NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT WE BRING IN VIA FA OR TRADES...The idea that shows you can't figure this out and grasp this point just proves my point.

I guess I will continue to bring this point up as well...And I am sure you will cowardly continue to ignore it...But you have said you feel Pie, Reimold, Jones, Wieters, Nick and BRob would give us an 810ish OPS. So, you do that and if Delgado gives us even an 850 ish OPS, that will be a contending offense, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

And Jtrea continues to ignore this...So funny, yet so predictable..Pretty much kills his argument, which I guess is why he ignores it.

And Jtrea continues to ignore this...So funny, yet so predictable..Pretty much kills his argument, which I guess is why he ignores it.

I no longer feel that statement I made is true or at least there are more unknowns.

I will modify it and say if all those players develop on the curve they should next season, that OPS would be about right.

Signing more offensive help would only help those players stay on or move above those curves IMO and ensure the Orioles are where they need to be for 2011 in case some of those players drop off those curves. Delgado can help, but he can't be depended on as the primary source of help IMO.

I no longer feel that statement I made is true or at least there are more unknowns.

I will modify it and say if all those players develop on the curve they should next season, that OPS would be about right.

Signing more offensive help would only help those players stay on or move above those curves IMO and ensure the Orioles are where they need to be for 2011 in case some of those players drop off those curves. Delgado can help, but he can't be depended on as the primary source of help IMO.

LOL..Hilarious...So, you think these guys have gotten worse since the season ended?

What a joke.

I was asked the question so I answered it.

I apologize if it was hijacking.

My point (on topic) is that Delgado can't be the major offseason acquisition if we are going to compete in 2011. I am fine with him as a supplemental as I've stated. If people want to engage me on that topic, I will respond in kind.

You do it all the time. All. The. Time.

You draw conclusions and then run with it like it's fact. Acquiring Delgado is a A) rumor that B) alludes to nothing close to this as the O's "major offseason acquisition."

Stay a little more grounded, a little more on-topic, and most of all a LOT more open-minded and it would go a long way.

Just a thought...

He doesn't have to acquire it all in one offseason...Between now and the start of 2011, he will have 2 offseasons and a trading deadline.

There is absolutely no reason why AM can't improve this team this offseason while also keeping an eye on the future. If a premium level talent comes along and that player can be dealt for in a deal that makes sense, then you do it...But that doesn't HAVE to happen this offseason.

Your ideas are just wrong.

And we've seen how fast he moves and what talent is available.

And you are counting this offseason, which if we don't do anything major, is automatically ruled out, which gives him the season and next offseason.

To expect 20 WAR added in that period of time given who MacPhail is just simply unrealistic IMO. The man simply doesn't make that many moves in that time span. It would be a huge change from his MO.

And you are counting this offseason, which if we don't do anything major, is automatically ruled out, which gives him the season and next offseason.

To expect 20 WAR added in that period of time given who MacPhail is just simply unrealistic IMO. The man simply doesn't make that many moves in that time span. It would be a huge change from his MO.

No, he makes enough moves, he just doesn't make the moves that you want him to.

He makes moves in December and January instead of November. I really don't understand why you keep up your mantra of high priced FA acquisitions and wheeling and dealing every which way when your ideas and MacPhails philosophy are very different. Just cause you repeatedly make our eyes bleed with the same thing over and over doesn't mean its gonna happen. You can't WILL Matt Holliday into an O's uniform by posting about it 100 times a day on orioleshangout.com

Free agency hasn't even started yet. Can we at least wait a few weeks before we lambast him? ;)

Archived