Who would you trade for... Uggla/Cantu?

amateurfan

I don't remember seeing a thread for all Orioles-related stories. Sorry if there is one already.

Rosenthal reports "The Giants and Orioles are the clubs in strongest pursuit of Uggla, according to major-league sources."

I wasn't expecting that. I like the power, but not some of the other stuff. How's his defense?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't remember seeing a thread for all Orioles-related stories. Sorry if there is one already.

Rosenthal reports "The Giants and Orioles are the clubs in strongest pursuit of Uggla, according to major-league sources."

I wasn't expecting that. I like the power, but not some of the other stuff. How's his defense?

Remember Rosenthal has no clue about anything the Orioles are planning to do .

Where does Uggla fit in? I don't see us trading for a stopgap. So does that mean...

1. Simply more competition

2. A trade with either Snyder or Bell

3. A trade with BROB

4. Pie/Reimold are designated to 4th OF while Uggla is DH

I think that their primary focus should be acquiring as much talent as possible. It's a much better position to have too much than just right or not enough.

The situation would change, no doubt, with the trade. I wonder what it would take to get him.

How long would Uggla be under our control? According to Cot's, he has 3 years of MLB service. Would that mean we would have him under control for 3 more years?

Yes, so far as I know. I don't think there are any strange circumstances in regards to Uggla.

Edit: He has four years service.

Where does Uggla fit in? I don't see us trading for a stopgap. So does that mean...

1. Simply more competition

2. A trade with either Snyder or Bell

3. A trade with BROB

4. Pie/Reimold are designated to 4th OF while Uggla is DH

I think it just means Uggla would play 3B in 2010. No additional move would be needed.

The Orioles still need to get a better idea of what they have in Pie/Reimold/Snyder and Bell.

Uggla at least allows you to shuffle the deck depending on the performance of these young guys because he can play 3 IF spots (none particularly well) and DH.

Uggla has hit over 120 homers in 4 years, and has been very healthy as well. He'll be 30 next Opening Day, but I would expect him to produce similar power numbers for a few years. So I don't think this would just be a stop gap. Would he play at 3B?

Not a bad idea if we dont have to give up that much' date=' but where would he play at?

Here is a scenario if we did get Uggla: trade Roberts and Scott and a pitching prospect to the Braves for Vazquez and Escobar. Thoughts?[/quote']

The Braves just threw up a little in their mouths. The only reason they'd consider trading Vaz is his salary, so why would they have an interest in Roberts - with his 40 mil left - especially when they have Prado giving them an .820 OPS at a tiny fraction of the price - with Kelly Johnson in reserve? Roberts and Scott wouldn't get either Vazquez or Escobar.

Archived