Who would you trade for... Uggla/Cantu?

amateurfan

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uggla played about 230 games at third base in the minors. He also played a few games at first, shortstop and outfield.

Depending on what we had to give up, Uggla would be a great get IMO. He's the 30 HR right hand power hitter we're looking for.

Uggla and or Cantu? Rosenthall says we're interested in Uggla but would a package for both Uggla and Cantu work? I realy like Uggla as a third base option and Cantu seems to have found himself in Florida. What do you think it would take?

I wouldn't trade anything for Cantu.

Uggla? Not sure..Not a lot...Be much more willing to deal a lot for him if we moved BRob.

Cantu has interesting home and away splits the last couple of years. He actually has hit more home runs at home, which is pretty tough in that ball park. Uggla has hit everywhere against everyone. Playing him at third for a year or two could be worthwhile. I think him hitting at OPACY would offset any fielding shortfalls he may have. He would definitely provide right handed power.

Cantu has interesting home and away splits the last couple of years. He actually has hit more home runs at home, which is pretty tough in that ball park. Uggla has hit everywhere against everyone. Playing him at third for a year or two could be worthwhile. I think him hitting at OPACY would offset any fielding shortfalls he may have. He would definitely provide right handed power.

Uggla is a short term solution and they will ask for more than he is worth IMO.

Makes more sense to sign one of the several stop gap options at third and see how Bell does this year.

Uggla is a short term solution and they will ask for more than he is worth IMO.

Makes more sense to sign one of the several stop gap options at third and see how Bell does this year.

Yeah, I've been in favor of a Delgado or Glaus signing and that might be the better way to go. But Uggla will only be thirty. If he hits the way I think he can in our building, he would fetch a hefty return in a trade when Bell is ready in a year or so. If Bell's development slows we can always keep Uggla.

Yeah, I've been in favor of a Delgado or Glaus signing and that might be the better way to go. But Uggla will only be thirty. If he hits the way I think he can in our building, he would fetch a hefty return in a trade when Bell is ready in a year or so. If Bell's development slows we can always keep Uggla.

I'm not sure I understand the logic. We don't want him unless he's cheap but one reason to get him is that we can flip him for a lot?

His value is not likely to go up from here. I also don't think you trade for a player thinking you can flip him for more later. It's way too speculative and not how things are done.

As stated elsewhere, he'd be ok but comes with a poor glove and the cost is not likely to be worth it especially when there are options almost as good on the FA market that probably will not cost too much.

Uggla and or Cantu? Rosenthall says we're interested in Uggla but would a package for both Uggla and Cantu work? I realy like Uggla as a third base option and Cantu seems to have found himself in Florida. What do you think it would take?

I'll take a pass on both

I'm not sure I understand the logic. We don't want him unless he's cheap but one reason to get him is that we can flip him for a lot?

His value is not likely to go up from here. I also don't think you trade for a player thinking you can flip him for more later. It's way too speculative and not how things are done.

As stated elsewhere, he'd be ok but comes with a poor glove and the cost is not likely to be worth it especially when there are options almost as good on the FA market that probably will not cost too much.

When Billy Beane traded for Holiday last year don't you think he thought about flipping him if things didn't work out? Which is exactly what he did by the way.

There's nothing in my post that says we should get Uggla because he is cheap. The appeal, if there is one, of Delgado over Uggla is that you go into the deal knowing it's only going to be for a year and then you move on to your long term plan which is Bell.

There's no reson why Uggla couldn't be a shor term solution as well. Uggla would be very attractive IMO as part of a trade deadline deal should Bell develop more quickly than expected..

This is actually a good point and fits the description that Andy has stated he'd be looking for in a RH-Power bat. We'd get him for pretty cheap and he'd hit well in the park. Could flip him if/when Bell is ready. This move would also open the door for the Orioles to obtain a No. 1 starter via free agency... (Although it'd be breaking the "grow the arms, buy the bats" philosophy.)

Archived