Who would you trade for... Uggla/Cantu?

amateurfan

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do not want Cantu. We don't need him.

How is Uggla's defense at third? I'd trade Andino (back) and a lower level pitching prospect/Berken type for him...

I am sure you realize that this offer would not even be a starting point for Uggla's stick

He has averaged 31 HR's, 90 RBI's and ~830 OPS over the last 3 years. Would you trade those numbers to get Berken and Andino if Uggla were on the Orioles?

MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that the Giants and O's are leading candidates for Dan Uggla, who would be moved to 3B

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/giants-orioles-pursuing-dan-uggla.html

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90091

Check before you post or you will get an infraction...just trying to help you out.

There is an identical thread going around.

I know we can't sign FAs til 15 days after the WS, but can we talk to their agents now?

I don't believe so, its an exclusive negotiating period.

Anyway, Uggla is still under control and seems to be a rich man's Wigginton - and probably makes wiggs expendable, especially if the plan is to bring up Bell at somepoint, an idea I'm not opposed to.

I know we can't sign FAs til 15 days after the WS, but can we talk to their agents now?

Yes . . . you can talk to the agents.

Regarding Uggla . . . he is probably an average third baseman or a below average first baseman.

Not sure how much the Marlins would want. Once again using the VW:

He basically will produce about 32MM of value, while costing maybe 22MM over the next two years.

So . . . 42MM in return might be what the Marlins would expect.

Prospect wise . . . Snyder, Britton, and Erbe or Snyder and Arrieta.

When Billy Beane traded for Holiday last year don't you think he thought about flipping him if things didn't work out? Which is exactly what he did by the way.

There's nothing in my post that says we should get Uggla because he is cheap. The appeal, if there is one, of Delgado over Uggla is that you go into the deal knowing it's only going to be for a year and then you move on to your long term plan which is Bell.

There's no reson why Uggla couldn't be a shor term solution as well. Uggla would be very attractive IMO as part of a trade deadline deal should Bell develop more quickly than expected..

Uggla is no Holiday though. He's not considered top tier talent that many teams will go after (hence why only 2 seem to want him now) and in the Oakland example, Beane took a risk because he thought if things break right his team could contend during the one year he had Holiday.

That's not true for us. We will not contend in 2010 so the risk in acquiring him to flip is greater.

Finally, the move backfired on Beane. He gave up more to get Holiday than he got in return -- though I suppose this point could be debated.

If it doesn't cost us much of a prospect than I'm ok to get him but I expect in the real world we'd have to give up a decent/good prospect and banking on the fact that we'd get just as good a player back in trade down the road is a risk. I'm not even sure it is debateable.

Anyway, Uggla is still under control and seems to be a rich man's Wigginton - and probably makes wiggs expendable, especially if the plan is to bring up Bell at somepoint, an idea I'm not opposed to.

I think you can say the same about Cantu, though Cantu lacks the double-chin and beer-belly look that Wiggy sports.

I don't believe so, its an exclusive negotiating period.

You cannot directly communicate to the players, but generalities can be struck up with agents.

Regarding Uggla . . . he is probably an average third baseman or a below average first baseman.

He basically will produce about 32MM of value, while costing maybe 22MM over the next two years.

I wouldn't touch Uggla if any of those guys had to be in the package. I'd much rather go for a short term deal with a free agent.

Considering we have Bell likely coming up in a year or less, it would be a really bad move to trade either package for Uggla.

Edit - sorry for missing your post, Singleton.

I wouldn't touch Uggla if any of those guys had to be in the package. I'd much rather go for a short term deal with a free agent.

No chance am I trading Arrieta straight up for him.

I would move Erbe or DH and another player for him.

AM has said he wouldn't move any core players for a bat...Maybe he thinks he can get Uggla for less than core players?

I'm not sure I understand the formula you're using. We would basically be getting a +10M in production over two years(Production value minus salary). Wouldn't it be easy to assume that Snyder or Arrieta alone would give the Marlins +10M in production over the 6-7 years they'll be there. Also, I think we would have him for 3 years, not 2.

Archived