The Top 50 Prospects...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right now I think Harper, Taillon, Colon would be my top 3 picks, in that order. Like most (seem) here, I am very hopeful that Taillon falls to 3 and is the pick.

Colon is a good talent, but I don't see him as elite. The thing is, is that many well respected publications are kinda torn on him. He has no tool that really stands out(other than his fielding where he has quick hands and good footwork and projects to stick at SS), but his instincts and makeup are off the charts. Thats fantastic, but the team that chooses him over one of these extremely high ceiling arms I dont think would be in the top 3(unless we do for "signability" of course). With guys like Harper, Taillon, Cole, Whitson, Covey, Ranaudo around, I just don't see him going in the top 3. IMO he would slot in perfectly around slot 5-9 if teams happened to choose BPA (which doesn't happen much these days). Of course, we are so far out from the draft anything can happen, but with the available talent especially among the preps, there will be a few better available players IMO.....

I think that while Taillon and Harper stand out for many of us (rightyfully so), Anthony Ranaudo from LSU is an outstanding pitcher only two years older than Taillon, and a player that we may be very fortunate to be able to take come draft day. Leading your team to a National Title as a 19-year old is pretty darn impressive.

From DA... The age in parentheses is 'as of draft day'.

#3 Anthony Ranaudo...

Pitcher, Louisiana State

Born Sept. 9, 1989 (20.7)

Ht/Wt... 6-7/235, Bats Right / Throws Right

Ranaudo has come on like gang-busters after passing up signing with the Rangers after the ’07 Draft (11th round), and the LSU Tigers are thankful that he did, as he led them to their sixth national championship. The New Jersey native finished with a stellar 3.04 ERA, tossing 124.1 innings, striking-out 159, walking 50, and holding opponents to a .209 batting average. Ranaudo has solid command of his pitches -a 90-93 fastball, curve and change- and exudes confidence and poise for a very young man. Leading your team to a national title at 19… outstanding. As young as he is, he may add a tick or two to his fastball, but regardless, he currently projects as a front-of-the-rotation starter and potential star...

I think that while Taillon and Harper stand out for many of us (rightyfully so), Anthony Ranaudo from LSU is an outstanding pitcher only two years older than Taillon, and a player that we may be very fortunate to be able to take come draft day. Leading your team to a National Title as a 19-year old is pretty darn impressive.

From DA... The age in parentheses is 'as of draft day'.

#3 Anthony Ranaudo...

Pitcher, Louisiana State

Born Sept. 9, 1989 (20.7)

Ht/Wt... 6-7/235, Bats Right / Throws Right

Ranaudo has come on like gang-busters after passing up signing with the Rangers after the ’07 Draft (11th round), and the LSU Tigers are thankful that he did, as he led them to their sixth national championship. The New Jersey native finished with a stellar 3.04 ERA, tossing 124.1 innings, striking-out 159, walking 50, and holding opponents to a .209 batting average. Ranaudo has solid command of his pitches -a 90-93 fastball, curve and change- and exudes confidence and poise for a very young man. Leading your team to a national title at 19… outstanding. As young as he is, he may add a tick or two to his fastball, but regardless, he currently projects as a front-of-the-rotation starter and potential star...

Both LSU and I am happy he passed on the Ranger's deal. Had they drafted him, their system would be even more stacked. They already have 3 legit TOR starters in their system as we speak(Feliz, Scheppers and Martin Perez), Ranaudo would make 4 pitchers that look to be TOR pitchers, nearly an entire rotation.

Still though, I am not that big on Ranaudo personally though he will be a good pitcher. I just like some of these HS arms more. Taillon and Covey IMO have better raw stuff than Ranaudo does already, it will just take more development time to bring them along.....

Both LSU and I am happy he passed on the Ranger's deal. Had they drafted him, their system would be even more stacked. They already have 3 legit TOR starters in their system as we speak(Feliz, Scheppers and Martin), Ranaudo would make 4 pitchers that look to be TOR pitchers, nearly an entire rotation.

Still though, I am not that big on Ranaudo personally though he will be a good pitcher. I just like some of these HS arms more. Taillon and Covey IMO have better raw stuff than Ranaudo does already, it will just take more development time to bring them along.....

I have Ranaudo third personally, ranking Harper and Taillon over him, but it's very possible prepsters such as 3B'man Nick Castellanos, RHP Dylan Covey, SS Yordy Cabrera and SS Manny Machado rise to the top of the board, giving us some great talents to pine over. Either way, Ranaudo's junior campaign may solidify his lofty status as college baseball's best arm, and one we'd be happy to grab -or- he may not develop enough to warrant a choice at #3. As always, time will tell. It's going to be an exciting draft to follow. :)

I have Ranaudo third personally, ranking Harper and Taillon over him, but it's very possible prepsters such as 3B'man Nick Castellanos, RHP Dylan Covey, SS Yordy Cabrera and SS Manny Machado rise to the top of the board, giving us some great talents to pine over. Either way, Ranaudo's junior campaign may solidify his lofty status as college baseball's best arm, and one we'd be happy to grab -or- he may not develop enough to warrant a choice at #3. As always, time will tell. It's going to be an exciting draft to follow. :)

I agree, there are some guys to watch who could rise quickly. I would add Whitson to that list as well. Covey seems to be on the rise, but Cole has the highest upside of these "potential risers" IMO. If he fills in some more this year, he could be throwing some serious gas. I would love to hear about him tightening up that curveball and giving it some better shape and depth. Regardless, yes, it will be an extremely fun draft to keep up with this year. Last year I counted down to it like when I was a kid awaiting my birthday. I feel somewhat similarly to get a chance to watch our 09 draftees kick off the 2010 minor league season. I am eager to see the product of JJ.

I agree, there are some guys to watch who could rise quickly. I would add Whitson to that list as well. Covey seems to be on the rise, but Cole has the highest upside of these "potential risers" IMO. If he fills in some more this year, he could be throwing some serious gas. I would love to hear about him tightening up that curveball and giving it some better shape and depth. Regardless, yes, it will be an extremely fun draft to keep up with this year. Last year I counted down to it like when I was a kid awaiting my birthday. I feel somewhat similarly to get a chance to watch our 09 draftees kick off the 2010 minor league season. I am eager to see the product of JJ.

I didn't add Cole or Whitson to the discussion because I already had them in the top five, but you're right that they and many others could charge into the position where we'll be happy to take them come draft day. And I hear you on the countdown. It's not only that its part of my duties to be into it, but that I have a true passion for it.

I didn't add Cole or Whitson to the discussion because I already had them in the top five, but you're right that they and many others could charge into the position where we'll be happy to take them come draft day. And I hear you on the countdown. It's not only that its part of my duties to be into it, but that I have a true passion for it.

Yeah, I have both Cole and Whitson in my top 5 as well, I guess I misread what you wrote, I'd agree. I'm actually torn as to who my #5 prospect would be between Whitson and Covey. I think the pubs at this point would all go with Whitson, but I like Covey better. Is projection(or lack thereof) what puts him behind Whitson and the rest of the gang? I have been hearing such great stuff about his current arsenal that as it stands I think it is better than every other prep not named Taillon. That curveball is just amazing.....

Yeah, I have both Cole and Whitson in my top 5 as well, I guess I misread what you wrote, I'd agree. I'm actually torn as to who my #5 prospect would be between Whitson and Covey. I think the pubs at this point would all go with Whitson, but I like Covey better. Is projection(or lack thereof) what puts him behind Whitson and the rest of the gang? I have been hearing such great stuff about his current arsenal that as it stands I think it is better than every other prep not named Taillon. That curveball is just amazing.....

Projection is likely the main component behind his failure to rank much higher than he does. Covey, much like Hobgood last year, is already built to last... so his frame doesn't allow for much projection. He has two big league caliber pitches in his FB and curve, so it's quite possible that with a bit more refinery to his secondary offerings, Covey may also shoot up and find his name called in the Top 5 come draft day. I'd love to have Covey in our system, and it's not a knock against Hobgood, but at this juncture I'd say I am slightly higher on Covey than MH.

Projection is likely the main component behind his failure to rank much higher than he does. Covey, much like Hobgood last year, is already built to last... so his frame doesn't allow for much projection. He has two big league caliber pitches in his FB and curve, so it's quite possible that with a bit more refinery to his secondary offerings, Covey may also shoot up and find his name called in the Top 5 come draft day. I'd love to have Covey in our system, and it's not a knock against Hobgood, but at this juncture I'd say I am slightly higher on Covey than MH.

Yes, I agree, I am higher on Covey as well. Covey at this point may have a slightly better fastball and better command of all 3 of his pitches, making his curveball a better pitch at this point IMO. I also have read that Covey's changeup is a good pitch as it is right now. I think I read it being considered ML average already and projects as a plus pitch. Personally, I could see us taking Covey with the 3rd pick if JJ took the same strategy into the 2010(as he did in 09) draft and I wouldn't be upset. He is my #2 arm behind Taillon, though most would beg to differ.

My top 4 arms:

Taillon

Covey

Whitson

Cole

Yes, I agree, I am higher on Covey as well. Covey at this point may have a slightly better fastball and better command of all 3 of his pitches, making his curveball a better pitch at this point IMO. I also have read that Covey's changeup is a good pitch as it is right now. I think I read it being considered ML average already and projects as a plus pitch. Personally, I could see us taking Covey with the 3rd pick if JJ took the same strategy into the 2010(as he did in 09) draft and I wouldn't be upset. He is my #2 arm behind Taillon, though most would beg to differ.

My top 4 arms:

Taillon

Covey

Whitson

Cole

I don't think anyone has a strong opinion on the matter at this point. I've seen all four of them multipl times, and I find it hard to parse things down enough to have strong feelings on the order behind Taillon.

MiLFan -- have you seen these guys or are you going off of internet research?

I don't think anyone has a strong opinion on the matter at this point. I've seen all four of them multipl times, and I find it hard to parse things down enough to have strong feelings on the order behind Taillon.

MiLFan -- have you seen these guys or are you going off of internet research?

Internet research and a bunch of vids. I really have a good chance now to go over the videos since there isn't anything new going on really right now, so I am just going over a bunch of older stuff from the circuits this year so far.

And the way it seems to me is that most publications have their personal favorites, but justifiably it is nearly impossible to have any set in stone feelings aside from Taillon. As a matter of fact it seems to me that either Cole is losing helium or has somewhat stagnated or both Whitson and Covey are gaining helium.

IMO it really shows the value of projectability in these prep arsm especially because to me Covey has the 2nd best current stuff of all the prep arms yet by most it seems that he is rated 4th of the 4. This situation also shows how good Taillon's stuff is because he lacks projection, but his current stuff is so good that he still is head and shoulders above the rest of the prep arms.

Going into the draft, in the final days, I suspect tha rankings will be something along:

Taillon

Covey

Whitson

Cole

Gausman(I have a good feeling about this kid)

Internet research and a bunch of vids. I really have a good chance now to go over the videos since there isn't anything new going on really right now, so I am just going over a bunch of older stuff from the circuits this year so far.

And the way it seems to me is that most publications have their personal favorites, but justifiably it is nearly impossible to have any set in stone feelings aside from Taillon. As a matter of fact it seems to me that either Cole is losing helium or has somewhat stagnated or both Whitson and Covey are gaining helium.

IMO it really shows the value of projectability in these prep arsm especially because to me Covey has the 2nd best current stuff of all the prep arms yet by most it seems that he is rated 4th of the 4. This situation also shows how good Taillon's stuff is because he lacks projection, but his current stuff is so good that he still is head and shoulders above the rest of the prep arms.

Going into the draft, in the final days, I suspect tha rankings will be something along:

Taillon

Covey

Whitson

Cole

Gausman(I have a good feeling about this kid)

There's some okay video out there. baseballwebtv is solid, but limited in that a bunch of the video is warm-up only and many times doesn't capture the pitch itself (focusing on mechanics). It's certainly better than nothing.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Covey and Whitson had strong Jupiter performances and bumped up in the respected rankings.

Where do you get your video? Any contacts? The stuff I've found online is pretty solid, but (as I said) is still very limited aside from looking at some mechanical things. Not to toot my own horn, but I strongly prefer the videos I've personally taken to almost anything I've seen online elsewhere.

Anyway, there's definitely down time right now. Good you can look at some video. Hopefully you get the chance to see some of these players in person -- it's worth the trip and you can get a better sense of the player watching a full outing as opposed to the snippets provided online.

As an aside, where besides Greg's site have you seen "projection" as an issue for Covey? Ditto the comment on Cole's secondary stuff?

Thanks.

There's some okay video out there. baseballwebtv is solid, but limited in that a bunch of the video is warm-up only and many times doesn't capture the pitch itself (focusing on mechanics). It's certainly better than nothing.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Covey and Whitson had strong Jupiter performances and bumped up in the respected rankings.

Where do you get your video? Any contacts? The stuff I've found online is pretty solid, but (as I said) is still very limited aside from looking at some mechanical things. Not to toot my own horn, but I strongly prefer the videos I've personally taken to almost anything I've seen online elsewhere.

Anyway, there's definitely down time right now. Good you can look at some video. Hopefully you get the chance to see some of these players in person -- it's worth the trip and you can get a better sense of the player watching a full outing as opposed to the snippets provided online.

As an aside, where besides Greg's site have you seen "projection" as an issue for Covey? Ditto the comment on Cole's secondary stuff?

Thanks.

I look on youtube, google searches, project prospect has some decent stuff, and I also use my fiances computer at home which I am thinking is called Hulu to download videos and snippets. I agree about the videos out there. I would love to get my hands on more videos that focused on the pitcher's stuff rather than mechanics, but it is all fairly limited as far as being able to get my hands on different vids and sites. And I've seen baseballwebtv, but like you said its mostly warm ups. You can get a fair amount of info from that, but the problem for me is that it is just warm ups and pitchers do some things differently in warm ups than when under the spot light. When adrenaline gets to them, they may try to overthrow in the game situations or they may pitch better, some may pitch worse. Sometimes I'll notice a pitcher having troubles pitching inside in a game situation to a live batter that you won't be able to see during warm ups, but you don't see that as much IMO with the prep arms, its when the kids get to tougher competition.

I agree, personal video is the best(as far as film goes), you focus on what you want your own focus to be on. Its also kinda like having a real life DVR or Tivo. You see it in real life(while recording) and get your preliminary opinions and analysis, but the real fun is when you get to go home look at the vids, break it down and look for things your naked eye couldn't catch, and since you can now view it at home, you won't have as much emotion to sway you one way or the other. That is why IMO it is best to see it in person and then be able to go home and watch it again a bunch of times to get a full feel for it.

And I agree about Covey and Whitson in Jupiter, 1st and last impressions in scouting make a big difference.

As for Covey lacking projection and it negatively affecting his prospect status, I didn't even notice it over at Greg's site, I just remember reading about him specifically being completely filled out and some publications saying he may even need to watch his conditioning in the future.

One of the biggest things I look for when looking at these prep arms is the amount of projection they have. I personally split the top prep arms into tiers and try to look at them equally and come up with my own rankings and opinions. Of the top arms, Covey has the least amount of projection, and that mixed with the fact that he is normally ranked behind Cole, Taillon and Whitson, I just put 2 and 2 together considering that his stuff to me is better than both Cole and Whitson.

I will mention about Taillon that I think there is a tad bit more of projection in there. I don't expect him to start throwing in the upper 90's, but I think when its all said and done and he irons out a few tweaks that he will end up sitting in the mid 90's......

I never see mention of it, but I noticed (In my very amateur scouting knowledge) that Taillon sometimes seems to drift a little bit to home plate. Have you ever seen or heard anything like this? It may be just the video I was watching on him, but it looked to me he drifted some, but in most instances he seemed to drive right to the plate.

Archived