NCAA Week 13

RShack

The SEC is better than anybody. I think the ACC and the Big Ten are about comparable. The computers seem to think so too. Big 12 is lamer. Not sure what to say about the Pac 10. But the main reason the ACC looks bad against the SEC is the SEC being good, not the ACC being bad.

Which computers? I've been curious to see objective attempts at rating the conferences. I've only come across Sagarin rankings in which comparing the ACC to the B10 is doing the ACC a big injustice. It's much more comparable to the Big East than either the B12 of B10. The B10 is a clear winner as worst BCS conference in those rankings.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's my issue with Pete Carroll' date=' since he was actually one of the ones who complained. He wants to have it both ways. He chastised Harbaugh for going for two, but then he did something very similar two weeks later. By itself, I have no problem with Carroll's choice to air it out when Neuheisel was calling timeouts.....but taken along with his comments to Harbaugh, I think Pete Carroll is nothing but a whiny hypocrite. People say the reason all the Pac-10 coaches hate his guts is because they are jealous of his success and USC's conference supremacy for the past 7 years. But trust me, it goes beyond that.

I don't see any similarity between the two scenarios. There would be if Carroll aired it out w/o first trying to just end the game. The BS move of calling timeouts in that situation changes things completely.

I'm not really a Pete Carroll fan and I'm sure he's done plenty to warrant other coaches to dislike him. This isn't that.

I don't see any similarity between the two scenarios. There would be if Carroll aired it out w/o first trying to just end the game. The BS move of calling timeouts in that situation changes things completely.

I'm not really a Pete Carroll fan and I'm sure he's done plenty to warrant other coaches to dislike him. This isn't that.

I completely agree. If UCLA wanted USC to give up, they could have let them. But Neuheisel wanted to "fight to the end"...which is fine. But don't cry to me when the other guy decides he's going to do the same. There is no comparison here to the Stanford game...none.

The SEC beats both teams playing in the ACC championship game. Anybody still don't think the SEC is the best in the nation?

Very true. And not even good SEC teams, these teams both had to win to get to 7-5. 10 bowl eligible teams, yeah it's not the best conference in the league.:rolleyes:

Very true. And not even good SEC teams, these teams both had to win to get to 7-5. 10 bowl eligible teams, yeah it's not the best conference in the league.:rolleyes:

Couldn't one argue that it's much easier to get to be bowl eligibile with OOC schedules full of cupcakes? That's not to say I don't think they have ended up being the best conference this year, I just don't buy that metric as having much value.

Which computers? I've been curious to see objective attempts at rating the conferences. I've only come across Sagarin rankings in which comparing the ACC to the B10 is doing the ACC a big injustice. It's much more comparable to the Big East than either the B12 of B10. The B10 is a clear winner as worst BCS conference in those rankings.

I didn't study it, I was just looking at the BCS details and how the computers ranked the various teams. The computers rank the Big 10 teams lower than the human polls ranks them, while they rank some ACC teams higher than the human polls rank them. For example, GT's loss to GA had them drop in the human polls from 7 down to 11 and 12, while that same loss had the computers drop them from 6 to 8. Right now, GT is amid 3 Big 10 teams in the rankings and, of those 4 who all have 10-2 records, the computers rank GT higher than where they are while they rank all 3 Big 10 teams lower than where they are. That's all I was looking at.

I completely agree. If UCLA wanted USC to give up, they could have let them. But Neuheisel wanted to "fight to the end"...which is fine. But don't cry to me when the other guy decides he's going to do the same. There is no comparison here to the Stanford game...none.

The point is that this is Carroll's MO. Everyone forgot that when Stanford decided to give him a taste of his own medicine, allowed him to become a victim, then two weeks later he's back to doing it himself.

The point is that this is Carroll's MO. Everyone forgot that when Stanford decided to give him a taste of his own medicine, allowed him to become a victim, then two weeks later he's back to doing it himself.

I guess where we disagree is where you say he's back to doing it himself. He was willing to run out the clock only UCLA wanted none of it. I think there would be parallels and one could say he was doing it himself if not for the opposing team taking the BS move to call a timeout.

I don't recall Carroll ever calling time outs when his team was beaten and the opposing team was kneeling. If that is something that he does then I thinkn it would be legitimate to accuse him of hypocrisy but not for what happened against UCLA.

I didn't study it, I was just looking at the BCS details and how the computers ranked the various teams. The computers rank the Big 10 teams lower than the human polls ranks them, while they rank some ACC teams higher than the human polls rank them. For example, GT's loss to GA had them drop in the human polls from 7 down to 11 and 12, while that same loss had the computers drop them from 6 to 8. Right now, GT is amid 3 Big 10 teams in the rankings and, of those 4 who all have 10-2 records, the computers rank GT higher than where they are while they rank all 3 Big 10 teams lower than where they are. That's all I was looking at.

The only one that I've seen is Sagarin's Conference Ratings which is one of the systems used in the BCS and he has the ACC as the 3rd ranked conference just slightly ahead of the Big East. The Big Ten is the worst. It doesn't surprise me about the human vs computer polls since human polls are so flawed and full of big name school bias.

The only one that I've seen is Sagarin's Conference Ratings which is one of the systems used in the BCS and he has the ACC as the 3rd ranked conference just slightly ahead of the Big East. The Big Ten is the worst. It doesn't surprise me about the human vs computer polls since human polls are so flawed and full of big name school bias.

That looks about right, at least for the top several. Once you get down into the minor conferences, I have no idea.

For the top ones, the simple average looks most-right to me. The central mean has the PAC-10 way closer to the SEC than seems right.

That's not to say that there aren't major flaws with the computers either. They only analyze numbers, which can often be deceiving.

No, he's not. He was trying to kneel down and run out the clock, but UCLA decided to play the "never give up" card. That's not what happened at all in the Stanford game.

That's not to say that there aren't major flaws with the computers either. They only analyze numbers' date=' which can often be deceiving.[/quote']

It's definately not perfect but preferable over writers who don't get to see every team play or the opinion of college SIDs who also don't get to see everyone play.

Archived