Friedgen to return for 10th season per Baltimore Sun

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uninspired but expected result.

There is just too much money tied up in him to fire him. Its not a situation where they could fire him if they wanted to and still spend the money to get a good coach in here. Its not like a professional franchise or Notre Dame where money just pours in. A state-funded school in bad economic times just can't afford to pay two high level coaches plus throw a million bucks at Franklin to go away.

Crappy situation, but there really isn't any other option. Gotta hope Fridge can somehow get this turned around. Even though we weren't doing anything impressive recently, we were still making bowl games just about every year until this abysmal season.

I'm still able to get into all the games for free through my catering connections and I enjoy sitting in the student section, so fortunately I don't have to make the decision about whether to spend money on tickets or not. Certainly wouldn't blame anyone for taking their entertainment dollars elsewhere next season.

Uninspired but expected result.

There is just too much money tied up in him to fire him. Its not a situation where they could fire him if they wanted to and still spend the money to get a good coach in here. Its not like a professional franchise or Notre Dame where money just pours in. A state-funded school in bad economic times just can't afford to pay two high level coaches plus throw a million bucks at Franklin to go away.

Crappy situation, but there really isn't any other option. Gotta hope Fridge can somehow get this turned around. Even though we weren't doing anything impressive recently, we were still making bowl games just about every year until this abysmal season.

I'm still able to get into all the games for free through my catering connections and I enjoy sitting in the student section, so fortunately I don't have to make the decision about whether to spend money on tickets or not. Certainly wouldn't blame anyone for taking their entertainment dollars elsewhere next season.

So I guess a lot of this is what's fueling the "Fire Yow" crowd? Makes sense.

I've been to one Terps football game and had a great time, but I won't make the trek again with my family in-tow until the ship is righted. I'm not driving to College Park to watch them en route to another sub-.500 season.

It makes more sense to do this than hand over the job to Franklin and MD doesn't have the money to fire both.

So, give it one more year and see what happens.

Agree, it sucks that they can't act simply from a football standpoint though. Here's hoping we have one of those come-from-nowhere seasons next year. I'm not sure we've got the horses though. Robinson looked great against FSU, but mediocre in his other starts, it'll be interesting to see if he can develop some consistency throwing the ball.

Shame on you folks. Yes,I've made the decision to renew my 4 tickets. The guy behind me emailed me & said he's also renewing. Here's hoping that the 58 freshman & sophomores give us a better season. I know I look at the glass as half full, an optimist,yes. Yes I will be taking my family (dad treats) & friends (friends pay) with me. I enjoy the games, it was GREAT beating Clemson & talking trash to all the Clemson fans.

Shame on you folks. Yes,I've made the decision to renew my 4 tickets. The guy behind me emailed me & said he's also renewing. Here's hoping that the 58 freshman & sophomores give us a better season. I know I look at the glass as half full, an optimist,yes. Yes I will be taking my family (dad treats) & friends (friends pay) with me. I enjoy the games, it was GREAT beating Clemson & talking trash to all the Clemson fans.

I'm not one of those fans who enjoys talking trash during a 2-10 season.

I'm happy to see Friedgen coming back, though at this point I wouldn't have opposed his firing very strongly.

However, I honestly don't think firing him would matter much. At least for next season.

The money that it would have cost to fire him would have meant one of two things. Either Franklin is promoted, and there is no evidence he is as good or better a coach than Friedgen, or the school would be forced to go with a very inexpensive option that at least would provide few benefits in recruiting.

This way, Friedgen gets one more chance to win with his own players (whether one feels he deserves it not withstanding), and to help a very, very young team get better. At best, the program shows an improvement like the basketball program did last year and this debate is much quieter. At worst, a couple million dollars is saved that could help bring in a coach closer to the level that some fans feel Maryland should demand.

Either way, next year might be one of the most important in program history.

This would seem to pretty much ensure that another losing season, or anything close to what happened this year means Friedgen is gone. Another season like this next year, and I don't see how anyone would disagree with removing him.

No doubt. He's getting his last chance. $3 million (his contract and Franklin's) is at least a bit easier to swallow than $5 million, and there could be some combination of a better economy and money from the booster groups available.

Archived