Jayson Stark reports the O's are after Nick Johnson

jdmyprez

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would love a 1-year deal for Johnson. We've got suitable depth at 1B to back him up if/when he gets hurt (Wigginton and Scott) and he's very likely to rake if he's healthy.

Less enthused about a 2-year deal, but wouldn't rule it out completely. I'd have to imagine that Johnson and Delgado are prime targets for 1B, but I doubt we'd be as interested in a 2-year deal for either with Snyder so close. If neither will accept a 1-year deal, then I think a bad option like Blalock becomes your best FA bet. Here's hoping that one of the two guys I mentioned will accept a 1-year deal, or that we look to the trade market to find our 1B for 2010.

He is the one free agent ive hoped we would stay away from. I just have no intrest in him and hope we don't sign him. I think Michael Aubrey would produce just as much if not more than Nick Johnson.

I am with you on this. Granted, we could do worse but Johnson is not who I would ideally want even as a one year stop gap.

He is the one free agent ive hoped we would stay away from. I just have no intrest in him and hope we don't sign him. I think Michael Aubrey would produce just as much if not more than Nick Johnson.
Maybe you better take another look at their numbers. Career .402 OBP?

I really like NJohnson as well. His productivity is very appealing, IMO.

Yea, he would be a good addition.

I would rather have him for 1 year but on a 2 year deal, he would likely be fine...of course, over those 2 years, you have to worry about health but he is certainly one of our better options for us...Much better than Blalock.

Is there any reasoning for this other than his injury concerns?

When he plays, he's great. Far better than Michael Aubrey could ever even hope to be. He's certainly an injury risk, and he'll miss some time. But we've got solid depth at 1B to mitigate some of that risk. With Wigginton and even Scott available to play when Johnson misses time, he becomes a much better option than he would be if we didn't have any solid backup options there or had to have a backup who didn't have any other skills besides playing 1B.

You would be wrong. Nick Johnson has a career OPS of .849, Michael Aubrey would almost be a lock to come in over 100 points shy of that.

Archived