Rangers offer Feliz/Smoak for Johnson

Dr. Andrews

According to mlbtraderumors, the Rangers offered Neftali Feliz and Justin Smoak to the Marlins for Josh Johnson.

Personally, I find this mind blowing. These are the Rangers' two best prospects, and two of the best prospects in baseball for that matter. www.thebaseballcube.com ranked Neftali Feliz #10 and Justin Smoak #23 in their list of top prospects last year. Both are going to be stars, IMO. I just can't see how the Marlins don't make this trade. That would probably get it done for Halladay...and are the Rangers really that close to competing?

My jaw hit the floor when I read this...I don't know what's more shocking, the fact that the Rangers would offer that much, or the fact that the Marlins would say no. That's a better package than what Florida got for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis (back when Dontrelle was still considered a valuable property). Neftali Feliz might have the highest ceiling of any young pitcher not named Strasburg. That Smoak guy is pretty good too, I hear.

Do we have anything that the Rangers might want to overpay for? Any chance that they could be jonesing for Adam Jones, for instance?

Color me skeptical. I don't think this offer ever occurred. They probably were discussing either Smoak or Feliz. There is just no chance that Texas offers both those guys and that Florida then turns it down. Use your brain, don't just blindly believe every report that's out there.

Color me skeptical. I don't think this offer ever occurred. They probably were discussing either Smoak or Feliz. There is just no chance that Texas offers both those guys and that Florida then turns it down. Use your brain, don't just blindly believe every report that's out there.

I understand the magnitude of this trade, and I thought that I clearly stated that in my OP using such phrases as "mind blowing." Implying that I "didn't use my brain" when I was citing published information from a rather credible site seems a little harsh don't you think? Especially since your claims have no sources aside from your unfathomable intellect.

I understand the magnitude of this trade, and I thought that I clearly stated that in my OP using such phrases as "mind blowing." Implying that I "didn't use my brain" when I was citing published information from a rather credible site seems a little harsh don't you think? Especially since your claims have no sources aside from your unfathomable intellect.
Wasn't speaking to you specifically, just everyone in general who seems to immediately take every report as fact. Sorry if it came off that way.

Like how the place nearly exploded when it was reported we offered either Pie or Hernandez and Erbe for Millwood.

People don't use nearly enough skepticism when following the rumor mill.

Agreed, if that offer occurred then Johnson would be a Ranger now.

Wasn't speaking to you specifically, just everyone in general who seems to immediately take every report as fact. Sorry if it came off that way.

Like how the place nearly exploded when it was reported we offered either Pie or Hernandez and Erbe for Millwood.

People don't use nearly enough skepticism when following the rumor mill.

I know where you're coming from, and I apologize for my response. I just saw it reported several places and was very surprised, as any baseball fan would be.

Yeah, my money says that FLA "leaked" this offer as an attempt to show Johnson how serious they are about signing him. They make him feel like he's that important that they would turn down such a slam dunk deal. It'd be a great negotiating tool.

Archived