Breaking News: Per Balt. Sun, O's, Texas Agree to Deal to swap Millwood, cash for Ray

ScottieBaseball

This is a great move. It adds a very reliable pitcher to our rotation which we really havent had for a couple of years and makes it eaiser for us to sign a player such as Bedard coming off an injury because we wont have to rush him into starting by the beginning of the season.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know that I'd want Milwood were he a FA, but the fact that it's for 1 year and that TEX is picking up salary (hopefully a quarter or more) makes it okay in my book. Fine treading water move while BAL waits for young arms to develop. I don't think it's great, but it is what it is.

I think this is a smart deal, not necessarily a great deal. We get an experienced pitcher to help the youngsters along, and assuming he stays healthy he'll eat up a lot of innings, too.

In return we lose a guy who's showed some potential but clearly hasn't evolved into the closer we hoped he'd be -- though I think he might still get there.

Millwood won't carry us into the postseason on his back, but he helps the O's in several ways.

I hope this all works out!

Awesome deal if as advertised.

Anyone else thinking Millwood could be the 2010 version of Sutcliff?

Yeah that's a very good comp. Hopefully he can handle the AL East though. The MFY lit him up last year (6.35 ERA in 2 starts and 11IP), but he did very well against the Sox, Rays, and Jays (4-1 in 6 starts).

Awesome deal if as advertised.

Anyone else thinking Millwood could be the 2010 version of Sutcliff?

I wondered something like that on this very board a few days ago. Frobby or Moose or somebody triggered my brain with a thread comparing the 1992 & 2010 O's awhile back.

If it's really for Ray, I can't really see a negative here.

I would expect Millwood to give us what Guthrie gave us last year..maybe a little better.

But we have a staff that should eat innings, which should help a pen that has potential to be pretty good.

Its only one year and I think Ray should be non tendered anyway...So, this is essentially a 1 year FA contract for Millwood.

As I said, getting one of these stop gap, innings eaters to sign a one year contract to play here may be very difficult.

End of the day, this is a very good trade for us...Millwood isn't spectacular but this is a deal that could end up reaping huge benefits for us if Millwood has a good first half.

Worse case scenario...You have wasted money and Ray regains his old form...Still, its not a terrible worse case scenario.

Archived