Breaking News: Per Balt. Sun, O's, Texas Agree to Deal to swap Millwood, cash for Ray

ScottieBaseball

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a very solid move on the surface. It'll be nice to compare what we pay Millwood to what Garland receives.

The moves makes a lot of sense for various reasons - veteran pitcher, not a long term commitment, innings eater, cost (Ray) not prohibitive, make have upside in production and future trade value.

I would like to see us sign Bedard with the expectation he is ready by May 1 or so. I'd also like to see Guts dealt.

All I have to say is that if you are going to the ballpark and Millwood is the starter, its not a big letdown. The team has come a LOOONG way from Adam Eaton.

SO SO SO true. We gotta think of where we are coming from just a year ago. This guy pitched in the AL last year and had a 3.67 ERA... Heck of a guy to pick up as the last piece of the rotation for now, compared to Eaton, Hendrickson, and Simon to fill out our opening rotation last year.

Wolf just signed for 3 years and almost 30 mil. Piniero is telling people he wants more than Wolf got. So getting a guy for only one year is looking pretty darn good. Let's just cross our fingers that it really is just Ray going to Texas.

I hope this doesn't mean he is going to be OD pitcher. I was hoping for Matusz

We're in one of those situations where we don't really have an ace, and since there's such a disparity in experience between Guthrie/Millwood & Bergesen/Matusz, the Opening Day start will probably go to one of the veterans. Since Guthrie has tenure over Millwood, I think Guthrie gets it.

EDIT: And for record, with what we know so far, I love the deal. Not because I love Millwood. Just because it makes a lot of sense.

Solid move for the O's if this is finalized.

"Great", "terrific", "excellent", and "fantastic" are all adjectives that are grossly overstating how good this trade is, but it is a solid move that should fill a hole reliably. But let's not make this into some amazing deal, we're getting a below average starter for $12M for essentially nothing in return (Ray is very replaceable and may have been non-tendered anyway). This is a solid move to find a guy who should be able to eat innings and have an ERA in the 4.75-5.00 range. If he gets lucky again, he can improve upon those numbers, but his performance probably won't merit any numbers better than that without some nice breaks (like repeating last year's 280ish BABIP and 75% LOB%).

We're in one of those situations where we don't really have an ace, and since there's such a disparity in experience between Guthrie/Millwood & Bergesen/Matusz, the Opening Day start will probably go to one of the veterans. Since Guthrie has tenure over Millwood, I think Guthrie gets it.

I would go the opposite way. Kevin Millwood is your opening day starter.

Zrebiec has updated the article:

The Orioles have a tentative agreement in place on a trade that would send reliever Chris Ray to the Texas Rangers for veteran starter Kevin Millwood and some cash, according to multiple team sources.

The agreement is contingent on some minor issues, including a review of the medical records of both players. The deal could be completed as early as tonight. The deal will also need to be approved by Major League Baseball because it's expected that more than $1 million is changing hands

So Ray for Millwood and more than $1 million...

Archived