KC Star: O's want Butler or Gordon for Pie?

ChaosLex

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If KC countered with this proposal:

Felix Pie and Brandon Snyder for Billy Butler and a 10-15 prospect

How would you all react?

I would still do this deal. Pie is good and I really don't see a reason to trade him, but this is one instance I would. I also think Snyder is highly underrated, but again this is one of the few instances I think we would be getting a good value for him.

FTR Butler had a higher OPS than Wieters at A+ and Butler was 3 years younger. It was in the California league so take it for what it's worth, but that is still impressive. I still doubt KC would do that deal though.

People here seem to vastly underrate Butler. He put up an .849 OPS at the age of 23. He hit 51 doubles and 21 Hrs while batting .300.... at the age of 23! Pie and Johnson almost certainly wouldn't get it done but I would take that deal in a heartbeat.

Indeed. Big-time breakout in the 2nd half of 2009--just the kind of thing that can be meaningful from a talented player in his early 20s.

A 2010 line of .310/.380/.510 from Butler, with 25-28 HRs, wouldn't shock me.

Pie and Waring or Johnson wouldn't be overpaying. Pie and Waring AND Johnson wouldn't be overpaying for your long term solution at 1B.

Even that, I would consider unrealistic, except that Pie really is perfect for KC.

Yes and yes. It makes no sense for Kc to give up young players

For the Royals, making sense tends to be a random proposition. It made no sense for them to trade for Mike Jacobs last winter, but that didn't stop them.

I believe that they are more sensitive than most teams to PR and the fans' perceptions, and Butler is very popular. That, maybe almost as much as the value of the return package, might make this deal hard to swing. (No way in Hades do they trade BOTH Butler and Soria, as someone here suggested).

As we fill the holes in our rotation, bp and lineup, the only upgrades remaining will be from average to plus players or high end prospects. Butler is a good target, but he's home grown and likely a fan favorite. It would take a lot to get the Royals to move him.

Still, let's keep the price high for Pie.

No. His range is poor, his arm is suspect, and his glove clangs when he fields a grounder.

Maybe -- he played a not insignificant amount on the left side when coming up through the minors. I don't think his arm is as bad as you are making it out to be, but I agree he wouldn't be a good everyday shortstop.

Maybe -- he played a not insignificant amount on the left side when coming up through the minors. I don't think his arm is as bad as you are making it out to be, but I agree he wouldn't be a good everyday shortstop.

Yeah, I'm piling on somewhat regarding the arm. But a full season of watching that guy in the field will do that to you.

What about Pie for Hosmer + prospect? Once a player proves they can produce in the ML at a young age, their value goes up dramatically. Hosmer is still 'prospect cheap' but he looks like a great prospect, albeit a raw one. He is also going to be blocked by Butler for the foreseeable future--especially if Gordon has to move to 1st and Butler to DH.

Also, Pie for Gordon doesn't seem outlandish to me at all. They are both players who have brilliant minor league seasons under their belt, have shown flashes of brilliance in the majors, but just haven't put it together yet. I'm a little more confident that Pie approaches his ceiling, but Gordon's is obviously a lot higher.

Another option that would never happen but would probably be the fairest/best trade for both sides would be Jones for Butler. Two guys on the brink of becoming young star faces of their respective franchises but both of them are at a position of depth for that organization. We all love Jones, but Pie as our starting CF doesn't seem so bad and having Butler at 1st for god knows how long could be amazing.

Archived