Lackey to B-Sox?

bballguru

Whatever you say. I guess the words "confirmed an earlier Twitter report" mean different things to you and me.
What does confirmed mean? He spoke to someone who said Lackey was there? He saw Lackey there? Lackey told him he was there to take a physical?

And if he doesn't tell us who he is getting his info from, then how is that confirmation for us?

Its a second source at best. Certainly makes it more believable and likely that Lackey is there taking a physical, but also is far from meaning that he is definitely there as well.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever you say. I guess the words "confirmed an earlier Twitter report" mean different things to you and me.

Watch the video link I posted, Stark makes a very plausible argument that flying to a city to take a physical without a contract in place does not often happen.

What does confirmed mean? He spoke to someone who said Lackey was there? He saw Lackey there? Lackey told him he was there to take a physical?

And if he doesn't tell us who he is getting his info from, then how is that confirmation for us?

Its a second source at best. Certainly makes it more believable and likely that Lackey is there taking a physical, but also is far from meaning that he is definitely there as well.

Hey good guess on the contract!!!! Now for the regularly scheduled "Why didn't we do this" posts.

If this is true... it doesn't really change my view. Maintain the course, develop talent, and then sign the premium players when it is the right time.

If anything, it means that Boston has an even more formidable rotation than the Yankees, which means, really nothing, haha. It just comes down to each indivindual performance in a game, and which team gets the win. Every player is human, so they will make mistakes or get hurt. You never know over a course of 162 games plus playoffs.

So, seeing what's happened, and probably with Halladay leaving the Blue Jays, I'm not acting like "THE SKY IS FALLING!" - we have a competent plan and we're finally following making good decisions, and we will be more confident to get an elite free agent next year since the free agent market will be better in terms of talent.

Fixed that for you :)

I fully agree that the thing you posted says that Rosenthal confirmed that there is indeed a twittered rumor, unlike the thing that Soprano posted.

There is no doubt that boston.com reports that Rosenthal confirmed that there is an unsourced report that he took a physical.

So, we know it says so on the internet. However, I never doubted that there was an unsourced report, just like I don't doubt it now.

Look, it would come as no surprise to anybody that he took a physical.

It would also come as no surprise that BOS either does or doesn't get him.

My only point is that folks are taking unsourced reports (aka "rumors") of a physical as if the acquisition is a done deal, when it's not.

This is what a rumor is...

Main Entry: ru·mor

Pronunciation: \ˈrü-mər\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English rumour, from Anglo-French, from Latin rumor clamor, gossip; akin to Old English rēon to lament, Sanskrit rauti he roars

Date: 14th century

1 : talk or opinion widely disseminated with no discernible source

2 : a statement or report current without known authority for its truth

As for the outcome, it wouldn't surprise me either way...

It wouldn't be a day on the OH if Jtrea didn't talk premium players and Rshack didn't complain about a rumor. :D

SG, I am not complaining about a rumor. I think rumors are fine.

However, I am somewhat disappointed to see that some folks seem to think that a guy who repeats the same old rumor is somehow "confirming that it's true" when all he did was just repeat and/or verify that there is indeed a rumor...

However, I am somewhat disappointed to see that some folks seem to think that a guy who repeats the same old rumor is somehow "confirming that it's true" when all he did was just repeat and/or verify that there is indeed a rumor...

I should have included a question mark in the thread title (granted) however I did not see trea's thread earlier

I am truly sorry. Do you ever think you could find it in your heart to forgive me ?

2:55pm: Heyman says the Red Sox and Lackey are in agreement in a five-year, $85MM deal.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/john-lackey-rumors-monday-1.html

:D

2:55pm: Heyman says the Red Sox and Lackey are in agreement in a five-year, $85MM deal.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/12/john-lackey-rumors-monday-1.html

:D

I am disgusted. I hate the economics of baseball. I am sick of the Sox and MFY's, their unlimited budgets, their shrewd GM's, their fans, ...

The O's should have at least matched the offer. They have the money- it's not my money.

Olney says it's for exactly what Burnett got, 5/82.5.

What a missed opportunity here...

We could have got Lackey at a relative discount IMO compared to what the TOR starters will get next offseason.

I bet 5/90 with an option for a 6th year would have landed him...

I think that's possible but not likely...Say 80/20 he doesn't accept.

I do agree with you though...I do think they should have offered it and I do think he will look like a relative bargain compared to what a lot of other TOR guys get.

Archived