We should ignore NY and Boston (for now)

Frobby

Stick with the plan like Andy and Frobby say. The O's minor league system is starting to develop talent finally. Before MacPhail got here the minors were a veritable wasteland. I wish we could revisit some of the OH prospect lists circa 2004-2006 so some could be reminded how far we really were away then. The O's went for years chasing that "final piece" and just about every time that final piece was a piece of ****.

Now is not the time to be mortgaging the future with Lackey or Holliday.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, more hyperbole from you. Playing it safe never gets you anywhere other than last place?

Look at the late 90's Yankees, they played it safe.

The 1976-83 Orioles lost a number of All Stars and near HOFers to free agency, and replaced them with blue light special platoon guys and castoffs.

The 2000s Twins sign a big-ticket free agent about as often as Keanu Reeves wins the best actor oscar.

Most years there are probably as many conservative teams in the playoffs as their are big spending implosions. Quite a few of each.

People don't seem to be aware that the future success of this franchise already depends on the future performance of Matt Wieters, Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, Brian Matusz, Nick Markakis, Felix Pie, Nolan Reimold, etc.

Adding Matt Holliday or Adrian Gonzalez or John Lackey isn't going to make this team anything more than an expensive 83 win team going forward. What's going to drive this team towards a championship is growth from our young talent. These guys are future stars or we're a crappy, middling franchise unless Matt Holliday turns into Albert Pujols and John Lackey turns into Roy Halladay.

Also, people seem to act as if there is almost no risk to these kinds of acquisitions. The only thing signing a Matt Holliday guarantees is that the Orioles are going to be on the hook for a lot of money until like 2018 or something.

The 1976-83 Orioles lost a number of All Stars and near HOFers to free agency, and replaced them with blue light special platoon guys and castoffs.

The 2000s Twins sign a big-ticket free agent about as often as Keanu Reeves wins the best actor oscar.

Most years there are probably as many conservative teams in the playoffs as their are big spending implosions. Quite a few of each.

Surely you are not suggesting high payroll doesn't correlate to high playoff rates in the AL.

But Drungo! Blue light special platoon guys and castoffs aren't sexy! We need sexy baseball signings! We need to make big splashes!!! Splashes are what count in the offseason!!!

Just ask the Redskins!

But Drungo! Blue light special platoon guys and castoffs aren't sexy! We need sexy baseball signings! We need to make big splashes!!! Splashes are what count in the offseason!!!

Just ask the Redskins!

This isn't 1976-1983 nor are we in the AL Central like the Twins. Have to say I agree with MSK and Old Fan #5 on this thread. We can develop all the great talent in the world, but when the teams keeping us from the playoffs get that much better on a yearly basis....it's pretty much a moot point. I like what the organization is doing with our foundation, but I have yet to see that commitment in all aspects of the game.

This isn't 1976-1983 nor are we in the AL Central like the Twins. Have to say I agree with MSK and Old Fan #5 on this thread. We can develop all the great talent in the world, but when the teams keeping us from the playoffs get that much better on a yearly basis....it's pretty much a moot point. I like what the organization is doing with our foundation, but I have yet to see that commitment in all aspects of the game.

I think it's ignorant to say the Twins couldn't compete in the AL East.

I generally believe that we make too much out of the AL East, like it's some huge mythical beast that is just impossible to compete with. That attitude around here of "ZZZZOOOMMMFFGGZZZZ WE ARE IN THE AL EAST WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO!?!?!?" is just tiresome.

I think it's ignorant to say the Twins couldn't compete in the AL East.

I generally believe that we make too much out of the AL East, like it's some huge mythical beast that is just impossible to compete with. That attitude around here of "ZZZZOOOMMMFFGGZZZZ WE ARE IN THE AL EAST WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO!?!?!?" is just tiresome.

The attitude that "WE DON'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING WHILE THE YANKEES AND RED SOX CONTINUE TO IMPROVE" is also tiresome. Its also reflective of the foolish mentality of the ownership.

MSK

The attitude that "WE DON'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING WHILE THE YANKEES AND RED SOX CONTINUE TO IMPROVE" is also tiresome. Its also reflective of the foolish mentality of the ownership.

MSK

The concept that Not acquiring Holliday/Lackey/Gonzalez = "doing nothing" is ridiculous.

Enjoyable thread.

It seems this is a disagreement of timing, pure and simple.

The "patient, stay the course" crowd would be willing to spend on big ticket guys and trade prospects for proven talent, just not right now.

The "oh my God the Yanks and Sox are getting better" crowd wants a big move now.

The only question is why now? Why this offseason? What is it about the current makeup of the team that screams "one or two big signings away from a championship?" I'd say nothing.

Yes, this. The Orioles need to build the best team possible in the context of their position in the world and their market. If that's not consistently the equal of the Yanks and Sox, big deal. You don't spend well beyond your means and short circuit sound business/sport practices just because your sport has a screwed up economic system.

You do the best you can. That's all you can do.

The best you can do is not to spend just half of what you can either.

MSK

I don't know why you and others can't understand that its all a matter of timing. Nobody with any sense thinks we can be perennial contenders without ever spending big for outside talent. But we simply aren't at the point where the money would be well spent. We don't have the resources of NY and Boston, and we aren't ready to bridge a gap by spending a bunch of money.

Andy MacPhail is just getting ready to start working on the first floor of the rebuilt Orioles house, but Trea and MSK are dying--just dying--to go out and buy drapes...really, really, really expensive drapes.

The fact that the house doesn't have windows yet? Doesn't faze 'em. Doesn't faze 'em at all...

Archived