Josh Bell doesn't want to hit RH

McLovin

That's what Komminsk says anyway. From Melewski:

He doesn't want to hit right handed, so I'd just leave him left handed and let him go. He doesn't want to work on it and his strength is his left side. What's the big deal? You can hit a lefty from the left side. I think it would be a huge plus for him just to stay on the left side. That's not for me to decide though.

Interesting.

http://masnsports.com/2009/12/looking-back-at-the-2009-bowie.html

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't like hearing Komminsk's comments about our prospects. And that's really really poor phrasing.

I like that he shoots from the hip and is generally blunt and to the point. He doesn't necessarily leave you with warm and fuzzies though.

I like that he shoots from the hip and is generally blunt and to the point. He doesn't necessarily leave you with warm and fuzzies though.

I've just detected a tendency toward negativity re: our best prospects. I could be imagining it, but I don't think I am (mostly because I'm not prone to such imaginings. :) )

It's great that he's a crusty old git and whatnot, but you just don't tell a paper that a prospect "doesn't want to work" at something. Even if he doesn't. All it does is hurt his value.

When did he even start switch hitting, and why? Did the Dodgers just say, "hey kid! You're Eddie Murray! This guy's gonna pitch to you, um, who can he be? Ooh, Steve Carlton. Eddie, this is Steve Carlton, get up there and take some hacks from the right side. Oh and put on this afro wig."

"But skip, I don't wanna hit righty!"

"Joshua!!!!" /menacing glare/

My guess he wanted to do it at some point and is tiring of it because he's struggling.

I've talked with Brad several times about Bell and what he means is that Bell doesn't ACT like he wants to hit right-handed. He told me the same thing at the end of the year but I wasn't going to run it that way because it's sounds worse than what he means. I like Brad a lot, but if I printed everything he told me a lot of people would not understand what he really means.

Brad is blunt when it comes to guys, but don't take anything away from his ability to manage or evaluate. I may not always agree with him, but he's one of the guys I respect a lot.

I've talked with Brad several times about Bell and what he means is that Bell doesn't ACT like he wants to hit right-handed. He told me the same thing at the end of the year but I was going to run it that way because it's sounds worse than what he means. I like Brad a lot, but if I printed everything he told me a lot of people would not understand what he really means.

Brad is blunt when it comes to guys, but don't take anything away from his ability to manage or evaluate. I may not always agree with him, but he's one of the guys I respect a lot.

Thanks for the background, but I'm not sure if this makes me feel better or worse about Bell's approach.

That's great info Tony. Thanks for sharing.

Do you think Lucky Jim's concerns about Komminsk sharing too much negative info about our prospects are valid? I kind of think that scouts in other organizations and at BA, BP, etc, probably know about a bunch of these negative points anyway, but maybe I'm wrong. I'd be interested to know your take.

That's great info Tony. Thanks for sharing.

Do you think Lucky Jim's concerns about Komminsk sharing too much negative info about our prospects are valid? I kind of think that scouts in other organizations and at BA, BP, etc, probably know about a bunch of these negative points anyway, but maybe I'm wrong. I'd be interested to know your take.

What has Brad said that was negative? I'm not sure where this is coming from honestly. He made a statement that he believes Bell should focus on batting left-handed and he's certainly not the only one in the organization that thinks that.

I love Brad's honesty and like a lot of guys I talk to, I don't always print what they have to say about guys because honestly, it just opens up more cans of worms for them and the organization than it's worth.

Brad is an honest guy who's going to give you an honest answer asked a question. If he was slamming guys left and right then yes, I'd say that was a problem, but Brad is giving honest takes on players and unfortunately for a lot of fans, that means telling them he doesn't think they are the next A-rod or Halliday.

For the most part, Brad is very positive about his guys and even the guys he may not personally think are as good as some people think, he's the kind of guy who wants to make them better.

For me, he's the exact kind of manager this organization needs.

What has Brad said that was negative? I'm not sure where this is coming from honestly. He made a statement that he believes Bell should focus on batting left-handed and he's certainly not the only one in the organization that thinks that.

I love Brad's honesty and like a lot of guys I talk to, I don't always print what they have to say about guys because honestly, it just opens up more cans of worms for them and the organization.

Brad is an honest guy who's going to give you an honest answer asked a question. If he was slamming guys left and right then yes, I'd say that was a problem, but Brad is giving honest takes on players and unfortunately for a lot of fans, that means telling them he doesn't think they are the next A-rod or Halliday.

For the most part, Brad is very positive about his guys and even the guys he may not personally think are as good as some people think, he's the kind of guy who wants to make them better.

For me, he's the exact kind of manager this organization needs.

In this case, I think saying...

He doesn't want to hit right handed, so I'd just leave him left handed and let him go. He doesn't want to work on it and his strength is his left side.

...was a little TMI. Generally speaking, you don't see folks questioning work ethic in the organization for a reason.

I don't question his value as a manager. The negativity I pointed out was, I think, akin to what you point out: he thinks that some players are overhyped, and is unabashed about pointing out their flaws. That's fine, I guess. I don't think it's a big deal. And it certainly doesn't mean he doesn't do a good job of making them better. I don't think any of us would complain about the results he's had.

I don't question his value as a manager. The negativity I pointed out was, I think, akin to what you point out: he thinks that some players are overhyped, and is unabashed about pointing out their flaws. That's fine, I guess. I don't think it's a big deal. And it certainly doesn't mean he doesn't do a good job of making them better. I don't think any of us would complain about the results he's had.

Your point, I think, was that perhaps Mr. Komminsk's honesty to the press could have a negative impact on player valuation outside of the organization. Regardless of whether or not it's true, I think it's a valid topic to discuss (as much as anything else around these parts).

Sometimes holding back on an opinion (particularly to the press) is the prudent approach. Not saying that's necessarily the case here (I don't much care what managers say to the press), but I could see why an organization would prefer managers not make comments such as these.

Let's assume that he's right. Could it be his agent that's pressuring him into being a switch hitter? He's the only one that's been outspoken about him batting from both sides if I'm not mistaken. I'm not saying that he's demanding that he do it. Just may be telling him that he'll be more marketable and increase his chance of making it the bigs. That wouldn't be bad advice if the player had the abilities.

Archived