O's nearing deal with reliever Gonzalez

fansince1988

Looks like we might have a new nickname, and a new funky delivery:

Gonzalez has an unusual pitching motion, in which he rocks back and forth before delivering each pitch, this delivery has earned him the nickname "The Cobra", as if he's putting the hitters into a trance before putting them away. When asked if he liked the nickname by the Atlanta Journal Constitution's David O'Brien, he said that it was okay, but he much rather prefers "Gonzo".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Gonzalez_(pitcher)

And if you look at the bottom of that article, somebody was quick on the draw as well...

Here's a YouTube video:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCTJsUADrlY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCTJsUADrlY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like the deal will be roughly 2/12 with the potential to reach 2/16.

So the Orioles have now spent 15m between Millwood and Gonzalez for about 3 wins on a team most think will win about 77.

I've been a big proponent of spending money, but this is a useless signing. There are much better ways to use 15 million dollars.

Gonzalez might solidify the pen, provided he stays healthy. That, however, is far from a sure thing in my mind.

Furthermore, what happens next year and in two years, when the Orioles have $15 million freed up and need to get 3 more wins? Of all the players to lose a 2nd round pick, which too many people are dismissing so easily, for.

Boston gained 4-6 wins a season by signing Lackey and spent only 2.4 more/season than AM just did. This is dumb.

So the Orioles have now spent 15m between Millwood and Gonzalez for about 3 wins on a team most think will win about 77.

I've been a big proponent of spending money, but this is a useless signing. There are much better ways to use 15 million dollars.

Gonzalez might solidify the pen, provided he stays healthy. That, however, is far from a sure thing in my mind.

Furthermore, what happens next year and in two years, when the Orioles have $15 million freed up and need to get 3 more wins? Of all the players to lose a 2nd round pick, which too many people are dismissing so easily, for.

Boston gained 4-6 wins a season by signing Lackey and spent only 2.4 more/season than AM just did. This is dumb.

Look at Lackey's stats at Fenway and tell me how sure you are about what they gained.

NM, forgot by the end you were adding Millwood. :D

Apples and oranges. Boston had to make a 5-year commitment to Lackey. We made a 2-year commitment to Gonzalez and a 1-year commitment to Millwood.

Is this post sarcastic? Because usually you make much more sense than this.

Uhhh...

Lackey is getting 16.4 million a year.

Gonzalez is getting 6 million a year.

Uh - Millwood is getting 9 million a year from the Orioles. Millwood + Gonazlez = 3 wins (maybe) for 15 million. Boston got a better rate and more wins for 1.4 million more.

Be prepared for the Negative rep you non kool-aid sipper :D. I personally agree I'd much rather have Lackey & their next target than the middle of the road guys we've added.

First off, high leverage relievers aren't valued correctly by WAR if that's what you're using to come up with these wins.

Secondly, Lackey has only been worth 5.9 wins over the past two seasons, barely more than Millwood, so I'm not sure Boston gained 4-6 wins. You also have to look at who these guys are replacing to determine gains.

Boston is obviously committing to Lackey for much longer, so yes, while Lackey for 17M or so for this year sounds better than 15M for Millwood and Gonzalez, you have to factor in long-term risk and decline.

Lastly, we would have had to pay more for Lackey, possibly quite a bit more.

Archived