Orioles after Adrian Gonzalez?

JTrea81

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recall a poster during the season saying that he ran into Adam Jones at a bar, and Jones made a crack about the Orioles really having to pony up cash if they want to keep him long term.

I am not sure that he is a guy who wants to stick around forever.

Would you trade Jones, Bell and a top 4 pitching prospect to SD for A-Gon, assuming the O's could lock him up for 6 years?

The main problem with dealing Jones is that he is a more proven commodity than Pie. Pie might stick, but he might not. Same can be said for Jones, but I will say that dealing a young player after they make the All Star team and win a Gold Glove is a smart move.

I do have one big problem with the trade though, It is much tougher to get Adam Jones type production from a CF than it is to get Adrian Gonzalez type production from a 1B. I will try to expalin so I do not get blasted.

We all agree (so do teams by the looks of it) that Pie can be a capable CF option. Compare Pie's number's to Adam Jones. Now, let's look at a guy like LaRoche (he's available) and compare his numbers to Adrian Gonzalez. The real question becomes:

Is Pie + Gonzalez greather than Jones + LaRoche? I think option B is the better package and I really like Gonzalez. I would be shocked if this dal went down and by all accounts it sounds like Boston has a solid chance of landing Gonzalez.

Would Tillman, Arrieta, Pie,and Snyder get the deal done? It's two of the O's top prospects who are close to the Majors, a highly regarded young MLB SP, and a highly regarded CF who showed signs of being quite capable.

Would the Padres or Orioles do this? Would the O's do this?

The same could very well be said of Gonzalez. And even if Jones decides to live up to a wisecrack that he may have once made in a bar, the O's still have him for four more years.

Jones and Bell and a top pitching prospect for Gonzalez would be too much. They shouldn't even consider that without another long-term possibvle solution at 3B.

Sign Beltre and you can deal Bell. I would lose my mind if the Orioles signed Beltre and then traded for Gonzalez. I think it is important to remember that SD seems to have a log jam of corner infielders. It sounds like they are looking for a CF and pitching. I would rather give up Pie and a better SP prospect (Not Matusz) along with Snyder and a lower level guy than include Adam Jones in the deal.

I do not see Gonzalez extending here so I would want a 72-hour window to sign him to an extension. That same package of players could easily land a younger first baseman under team control for 3+ years. I think if I were realing going to deal that I would call Texas about Smoak as he would cost less than Gonzalez and be under team control for 6 years.

We called..they brought Matusz...AM hung up.

...they had to sit and think how far they can scale back their demands and still get value. I think AM likes to play cold fish at the outset of trade talks for big deals and then get a lot more aggressive in his demands and refusals as talks progress. Good for him.

Would Tillman, Arrieta, Pie,and Snyder get the deal done? It's two of the O's top prospects who are close to the Majors, a highly regarded young MLB SP, and a highly regarded CF who showed signs of being quite capable.

Would the Padres or Orioles do this? Would the O's do this?

Pads would jump on this, I would think. Doubtful O's would give up both Tillman and Arrieta.

just fantasizing:

2B Roberts

CF Pie

RF Markakis

1B A-Gon

LF Holliday

C- Weiters

DH Riemold

3B - Atkins

SS Itzuris

Millwood

Guthrie

Matusz

Bergesen

Bedard

ahhhhh

Don't know where Holliday is coming from.

Roberts

Markakis

Reimold

Gonzalez

Wieters

Jones

Atkins

Scott

Itzturis

That lineup with a solid rotation and pen could make a little noise in the AL. I think the Rays and Blue Jays would cry if the Orioles, Yankees, and Red Sox become elite teams.

Without a contingent extension, that is a pretty good "offer".

There's no way I'm giving that up w/o an extension. Granted his 6.3 WAR was good last year, but he'd never been over 4 before. He's a good player, but he's not enough to bump the O's into contention next year, which means that absent an extension, we're giving up somewhere around of 16 years of value for a one-year window with Gonzalez.

Makes no sense to me.

Archived