Rosenthal: Orioles Join Holliday Bidding

MarylandTerp08

What realistically would land Holliday? Has it been clarified what type of contract he is looking for?

I'm completely stunned that Macphail would be interested in signing him.

Right now the Cardinals aren't budging off a 5 year offer for less than 18 million per season.

The Orioles could offer 6/114 with an option year for a 7/133 total value.

Of course Boras wants 8/180 but there's no way he's getting that from anybody.

The Yankees are likely out, the Red Sox don't want to pay a 22% luxury tax likely so they are probably out, the Mets are going after Bay.

Holliday's market is pretty limited, and the longer he waits, the less he's going to get.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will never happen, but I'd **** a brick if it did.

Sign Holliday.

Then, as much as I hate to do it, trade a package involving Adam Jones to the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez and sign him to an extension. I love Jonesy, but he's a San Diego native, so they could market him well there and they would probably want him to be a part of the deal. Plus we do at least have a reasonable replacement.

Not to mention, putting Jones in the deal would likely lower the amount and quality of prospects we'd have to put in the deal. As he'd immediately become their CF.

Then move Reimold/Scott for pitching. Though Reimold would probably get us a better pitcher than Scott would.

We'd have an outfield of Holliday/Pie/Markakis with an infield of Atkins/Izturis/Roberts/Gonzalez.

Lineup:

Roberts - 2B

Markakis - RF

Holliday - LF

A. Gonzalez - 1B

Wieters - C

Scott/Reimold - DH

Atkins - 3B

Pie - CF

Izturis - SS

Gonzalez has two years left on his deal at a very friendly amount, so he wouldn't blow up in salary until 2012.

But a lineup like that and an improved rotation would make us a formidable team.

Boras is the agent of Holliday and Gonzalez.

Since the Wieters signing, MacPhail hasn't really pursued a Boras client aggressively.

And now we surrender a 2nd round pick and give 12 million to a reliever that is a Boras client when there were other options available including internal options. Seems a little odd doesn't it?

Not really, no.

We just added depth to our bullpen.

So in other words you're saying MacPhail is sitting in the front office and calls Boras and is like "Hey, Scott, it's Andy...how are the wife and kids? Great. Yeah, we're just ramping up for Christmas. Listen, I wanted to thank you for dealing with me on the Gonzalez thing, I really enjoyed working with you....yeah, that was great wasn't it? I didn't even have to wine and dine him. Listen, since we did so well together on that deal, I'd like to see if you're perhaps interested in working together on a bigger deal for one of your clients?...uh...I was thinking Holliday....really? call you tomorrow to discuss details?...awesome, thanks Scott!"

So in the span of one night signing a lefty reliever has totally turned MacPhails thinking into a 180 about dealing with Boras and he's all about it?

C'mon.

Signing Holliday could also open the door for trading an OF for a 1b.

Luke Scott and David Hernandez for Chris Davis?

1. Roberts 2B

2. Reimold DH

3. Markakis RF

4. Holliday LF

5. Jones CF

6. Wieters C

7. Davis 1B

8. Atkins 3B

9. Itzuris SS

Bench- Wiggy, Moeller, Turner, Pie

Wrong 1B!!!!

BOOOO!!! Move Scott instead. Reimold is a better overall hitter IMO.

I agree that Reimold is better than Scott.

But he'd also net a better pitcher in return than Scott would.

And we'd have a pretty damn formidable lineup if we added Holliday and traded for A-Gon.

So pitching would be more of a concern at that point than hitting.

Signing Holliday could also open the door for trading an OF for a 1b.

Luke Scott and David Hernandez for Chris Davis?

1. Roberts 2B

2. Reimold DH

3. Markakis RF

4. Holliday LF

5. Jones CF

6. Wieters C

7. Davis 1B

8. Atkins 3B

9. Itzuris SS

Bench- Wiggy, Moeller, Turner, Pie

I don't understand. What are you talking about?

Oh, I think I figured it out. You meant Adrian Gonzalez instead of Chris Davis. I think we all know that A-Gon is the only 1st baseman in MLB.

Edit: Damn it! I was beat to the punch again!

I'd offer 6/108, and that would be my max offer. Holliday is the perfect #4 RH power hitter the O's have been coveting for over a decade.

The signing of Holliday would prove to any upcoming free agent that the O's are committed to building a championship contender. This would also tell the team that we want to win in 10' and beyond.

This would also create flexibility in which the O's can move an extra OF for a established veteran pitcher to shore up the rest of the staff, or a solid 1b.

I would be completely shocked if we land Holliday and aren't getting my hopes up but it makes too much sense to sign him.

Agreed, 100%.

I won't cry if we sign Holliday, I'll be excited.

But I don't think what Holliday will provide us with is worth all the extra millions compared to what Reimold will provide us with in 2010 and in the years to come.

I agree, but this makes Jones far more expendable. I still would disagree with trading away Tillman or Matusz for A-Gon, though. Jones, however, would be ok with me if we had Holliday.

In fact, Reimold OPS'd .831 last year.

Hollidays 2009 Oakland OPS? .831, the lowest in his career.

The only thing is that he has proven himself, while we don't know if Reimold will tank in his soph. season. That's it.

But don't pay attention to anything contrarian, don't let me keep you all from wetting yourselves from spending millions and millions and making a big sexy FA splash. I mean, thats all that matters.

Wrong 1B!!!!

Not sure I'd want to part with the guys it take to get Gonzalez if we already had Holliday. Unless the Holliday rumors are to pressure SD.

If we sign Holliday, maybe the O's offer Reimold, Tillman and Pie for Gonzalez. That gives them their starting LF and CF, allows them to move Headley to 3b and Blanks to 1b.

Archived