Rosenthal: Orioles Join Holliday Bidding

MarylandTerp08

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holiday turned down the Rox offer of 4 years for 72 million and he said, he would have signed a five year deal at that rate to stay in Colorado. Since then, of course, Boras is saying he wants a Tex deal for Holiday, but it hasn't happened yet. Although, I did hear St. Louis has gone as far as eight years, but they aren't getting beyond the 16 million per year.

Ultimately, it does mean Baltimore has a shot. He wants stability more than anything else and only wants to move his family one more time. Atkins is a really good friend of his, but that was only a one year deal.

Hot Stove can be fun. An O's Holiday jersey would look really, really good on me.

-Don

Where's the correlation between signing a lefthanded closer and a RH power bat outfielder?
Boras is the agent of Holliday and Gonzalez.

Since the Wieters signing, MacPhail hasn't really pursued a Boras client aggressively.

And now we surrender a 2nd round pick and give 12 million to a reliever that is a Boras client when there were other options available including internal options. Seems a little odd doesn't it?

Ah, I see now... AM signs a Boras RP who he otherwise wouldn't sign... but he does it anyway because it somehow means another Boras client will decide to sign here too. It's almost like voting the Party Ticket, but instead of doing it to elect politicians from the same party, this way it's for acquiring ballplayers from the same agent. Very clever.

But does it seem odd? Well, let's see... The only reason I can think of why "connecting the dots" like that wouldn't seem odd is if you're a sane person...

Holiday turned down the Rox offer of 4 years for 72 million and he said, he would have signed a five year deal at that rate to stay in Colorado. Since then, of course, Boras is saying he wants a Tex deal for Holiday, but it hasn't happened yet. Although, I did hear St. Louis has gone as far as eight years, but they aren't getting beyond the 16 million per year.

Ultimately, it does mean Baltimore has a shot. He wants stability more than anything else and only wants to move his family one more time. Atkins is a really good friend of his, but that was only a one year deal.

Hot Stove can be fun. An O's Holiday jersey would look really, really good on me.

-Don

I'd stick with 6/$108 and go no higher.

Really Holliday would be a luxury rather than a striking need. The power bat, though, would be great to have, but the O's have those developing.

Deja-Vu.

Replace Tex's name with Holliday and we'll most likely get the same result.

We all remember Tex in the skybox at the Steelers/Ravens game with PA, Michael Phelps, and Gary Williams.

Now it's we signed his buddy from COL to play 3B and Brian Roberts is blowing up his phone.

I refuse to get my hopes up.

But at the same time, I'd be thrilled if AM pulled it off.

I would imagine it is one or the other (Holliday or Gonzalez), not both. To be honest, I would be happy if we could land Holliday much less Gonzalez.

I don't know. Adding Holliday doesn't really make this team a contender with a huge hole at first base and it creates a massive logjam in the outfield (Jones, Markakis, Pie, Reimold, Scott, Holliday - six guys for 3 positions).

So a trade must be in the works if Holliday signs. Since we have Atkins now at 3rd and our rotation is currently set, first base seems like the only target unless we're looking to get more prospects. Prospects don't make much sense if we're adding Holliday, Atkins, Millwood & Gonzalez in an attempt to compete now.

The fact we've been tied to other veteran pitchers suggests that we may be looking to move one of our projected starters - Guthrie, Matusz, Bergesen or Tillman.

It all points to a big trade involving one major league starter and one or two major league outfielders for a first baseman.

Why not AGon?

Three way deal

Scott and Guts for Prospects

Prospects, Arrieta and Reimold for AGon (and pitcher from third team??)

Holliday LF

AGon 1B

That's downright filthy.

Especially add Millwood and "The Cobra" into the mix. For the first time in my young 18 years, I'd be able to shut up some people about being an O's fan

Three way deal

Scott and Guts for Prospects

Prospects' date=' Arrieta and Reimold for AGon (and pitcher from third team??)

Holliday LF

AGon 1B

That's downright filthy.

Especially add Millwood and "The Cobra" into the mix. For the first time in my young 18 years, I'd be able to shut up some people about being an O's fan[/quote']

I'm glad you have adapted the use of The Cobra.

LF Holliday

DH Reimold

1B Gonzalez

It's not complex...

See, I was trying to be a regular poster tonight and not start any crap. I was just saying that I consider AGon something like David Ortiz, but I guess I could accept Reimold at DH.

But this is all speculation at this point. No reason to be jerky tonight.

MSK

p.s. Moose, this isn't aimed at you, two other people decided to be snarky.

Archived